Author Topic: Finger Lime - Rambo  (Read 1854 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Finger Lime - Rambo
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »
The company responsible for the bulk of recent fingerlime releases is due to release a new cv called Rambo this year. This one is noted as the toughest and among the most prolific types ever trialled, let alone released, and comes with a 'you kill it, we'll replace it free' guarantee!

Unfortunately, as its major quality as so far advertised is its unkillability, it will likely be a high oil, low quality type, very similar to the Rainforest Pearl, which is a beast of a tree but the fruit is just unusable.

Two other new cvs are due for release too: Aromarama and Lontong, and I'll likely give these a trial in pots to see if they are any good. I'm not really fond of the overly aromatic types, so Aromarama may not be up my aisle and I have no real info on Lontong yet, but it is also the word for compressed rice, so its probably a white variety with neutral oil and flavour, but that's just a guess.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Finger Lime - Rambo
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:00:28 PM »
The company responsible for the bulk of recent fingerlime releases is due to release a new cv called Rambo this year. This one is noted as the toughest and among the most prolific types ever trialled, let alone released, and comes with a 'you kill it, we'll replace it free' guarantee!

Unfortunately, as its major quality as so far advertised is its unkillability, it will likely be a high oil, low quality type, very similar to the Rainforest Pearl, which is a beast of a tree but the fruit is just unusable.

Two other new cvs are due for release too: Aromarama and Lontong, and I'll likely give these a trial in pots to see if they are any good. I'm not really fond of the overly aromatic types, so Aromarama may not be up my aisle and I have no real info on Lontong yet, but it is also the word for compressed rice, so its probably a white variety with neutral oil and flavour, but that's just a guess.

I Wouldn't say RP is totally unusable. The fruit make good non-lethal projectiles for fruit tree raiding birds from time to time.

nickwhish

• Australia, WA, Fremantle
    • View Profile
Re: Finger Lime - Rambo
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:57:52 PM »
I find it interesting that rainforest pearl gets such a bad rap, yet they sell out the Pemberton, Western Australia ones at big prices in Perth.
Maybe they grow tastier in the cool of Pemby than QLD/NSW where the other varieties are so much better.

I also noticed that on the Pemberton finger limes facebook page they are producing a range of colours with Green/Clear/Pink/Red insides, the skin also varies Black/Brown/Red.
(don't know how to post photos here, but they have a great one on facebook)

As far as I've read all of their trees are rainforest pearl grafted trees, and they put it down to variations in the soil and microclimate. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk