Author Topic: Feijoa flowering (greenhouse)  (Read 2157 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Feijoa flowering (greenhouse)
« on: January 31, 2018, 05:30:13 PM »
From what I've seen, Feijoa seems to flower on a seasonal basis (May is often cited as a flowering time start).  Does anyone know how flowering behavior would be in a greenhouse environment?  Does feijoa need a cold period, or a low light period, or something else?  Or does it just flower whenever it feels like it if it never gets cold?  Also, how long are the fruit good off the tree?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:32:51 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Feijoa flowering (greenhouse)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
From what I've seen, Feijoa seems to flower on a seasonal basis (May is often cited as a flowering time start).  Does anyone know how flowering behavior would be in a greenhouse environment?  Does feijoa need a cold period, or a low light period, or something else?  Or does it just flower whenever it feels like it if it never gets cold?  Also, how long are the fruit good off the tree?

Hi, the only thing I know is that they should need a cold period, they are native from the mountains of south Brazil. Off the tree... 2 or 3 days
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 05:44:24 AM »
That's logical. It may make sense for us to have them in pots to relocate outside for a period in late fall or early spring. Or contrarily to have in a section that's allowed to get cool for a fixed period of time.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:41:08 AM »
Fruit falls from the shrub (tree).  It is good on the ground for less than a week. There are selected varieties mu ch larger than a large hen's egg (Mammoth, Triumph among others)  Hardy to about 15 degrees F.  Ours have taken 19 degrees with no damage whatsoever.  Nothing bothers it, except birds eat the petals of the flower not inhibiting fruiting.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:58:27 AM »
It is good on the ground for less than a week.

More of a question of how long it's good not-on-the-ground  :)

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 11:37:47 AM »
I think I've left some on the counter for two or three weeks and eaten them after. They keep ripening off the tree, and in my opinion the quality goes down as they ripen. They get gooey and lose their acidity.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »
Thanks  :)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »
Our feijoa flowers no problem even in an area that never goes below 0C they don't need anything near to what cherries etc need as those struggle in the same area.
Not sure how much cold exactly they need but I'm sure it's less than many temperates
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »
I have feichoas in greenhouse and they are very easy plants. Flowering period here is end of february and march, fruits rippen from september to october. From may to november I put them outside because they appreciate a lot of sun.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »
I have feichoas in greenhouse and they are very easy plants. Flowering period here is end of february and march, fruits rippen from september to october. From may to november I put them outside because they appreciate a lot of sun.

Interesting.  What do you think their trigger for flowering is - the light cycle?  I assume it's a heated greenhouse?

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »
I think that it is more due to the longer day at spring than temperature. It is cold greenhouse, temperatures go often to -1°C at night. Feichoas are not as tropical as jaboticabas.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:20 PM »
I think that it is more due to the longer day at spring than temperature. It is cold greenhouse, temperatures go often to -1°C at night. Feichoas are not as tropical as jaboticabas.

Okay, if it's a cold greenhouse then it could be either day length or temperature.  Hmm, I may need to start digging through scholar.google.com  ;)