Author Topic: Excalibur chempadek  (Read 5439 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Excalibur chempadek
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »
Anyone hear of Boca Chempadek from Excalibur? I was told they are seedlings. I was wondering if this was legit or too good to be true and some nasty cheena variety.
-Josh

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Re: Excalibur chempadek
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:38:17 PM »
Anyone hear of Boca Chempadek from Excalibur? I was told they are seedlings. I was wondering if this was legit or too good to be true and some nasty cheena variety.

What zone is Excalibar in? It it because it isn't tropical enough for cempedak there (never really seen or heard about it from Florida people)?

I have a cempedak here that survived its first winter. I am in the equivalent of 10a/b. Don't believe it will ever fruit, I was suprised enough that it survived one winter, not sure it will survive future ones.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:49:27 AM by Ulfr »

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »
I saw the trees today and there was no pubescence on the new growth. Looked like heterophyllus to me. I haven't heard of anyone fruit Chempedak in Florida. I have some small trees I am experimenting with out of zone.
-Josh

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 02:34:48 AM »
My dozen bit the dust...before Winter! As per the norm...all great to a foot an then BAMM...total dieback. God speed Josh. Chris
-Chris

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
I too am curious about the Boca Chempedak. I spoke with Richard at Excalibur and he mentioned that with global warming, West Palm area start to get weather like Miami. I don't know how long it would take chempedak to fruit. I'm hoping to grow one, then in 5-8 years, West Palm area would be warm enough to fruit Chempedak, may be even Durian? Wishful thinking, I know.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 10:12:44 AM »
I too am curious about the Boca Chempedak. I spoke with Richard at Excalibur and he mentioned that with global warming, West Palm area start to get weather like Miami. I don't know how long it would take chempedak to fruit. I'm hoping to grow one, then in 5-8 years, West Palm area would be warm enough to fruit Chempedak, may be even Durian? Wishful thinking, I know.

99.9% sure those aren't Chempedak. Richard Wilson knows his stuff so I am really curious about the story behind this seed.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
Or airlayers.  :o :o :o

That never even crossed my mind.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
My dozen bit the dust...before Winter! As per the norm...all great to a foot an then BAMM...total dieback. God speed Josh. Chris

This is a very common problem even for people in zone in Hawaii. I think it has to do to a lack of native soil microbes. The roots are so so weak.

Jackfruit is graft compatible.  8) 
-Josh

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 02:23:45 AM »
I saw your graft. TOO late for my batch- wish I would have known beforehand. Good luck Josh. Chris
-Chris

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
I was told it's a small fruit. I have a seedling as well. I think it's like a hybrid or just a jackfruit. Doesn't look like the chempedak I have. Also it dislikes my soil greatly and mostly refuses to grow.

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
I've been curious about these too, Richard told me he found it growing in a customers yard.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
That photo doesn’t look like champedek to me.
Peter

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »
I was told it's a small fruit. I have a seedling as well. I think it's like a hybrid or just a jackfruit. Doesn't look like the chempedak I have. Also it dislikes my soil greatly and mostly refuses to grow.

Dieback happened in bags or ground? Chempedak has problems surving being in pots / bags.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Maybe they propagated Coconut's Jackfruit 'Boca orange snob', incorrectly labeled it as a chempedak, and dropped part of the name? That would explain the Boca, and Coconut mentioned in that thread that he was friends with Richard at Excalibur.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11661.0

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »
Hes still active on here right?

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 06:16:18 PM »
Here is mine that I planted out last winter. Time will tell if it can survive this winter..

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »

Dieback happened in bags or ground? Chempedak has problems surving being in pots / bags.

No die back. Just hasn't grown in almost a year. I put it in the ground the day I got it. It survived the relatively bad winter undamaged.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 05:36:34 AM »
Anyone else have updates on growing cempedak in Florida? Sounds like a tree you would want to grow if you like jakfruit.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 07:55:08 AM »
I have been surprised with the Marang seedlings I have been growing and how well they have performed. This is the second winter and while they are in a protected place in my yard, have been left outside and have seen nearly freezing temps. I'm not sure how different the cold tolerance is between Marang and chempadek, but I figured I'd report as they are related.
John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 08:11:21 AM »
Jackfruit are more cold tolerant than chempadek by a couple of degrees C and Marang or more like breadfruit in that temps less than 5c can cause problems like death. Chempa foliage is not smooth and has a sandpaper quality when young. There is a huge diversity in form (more than jacks) and perhaps some are more cold tolerant. Cheena is a reasonable cross but there are better and these crosses are usually every bit as good as decent chempas.
One fellow in Mossman collected some fruit yesterday and it included a couple of chempa types - see below. They are not uncommon around here.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 08:59:51 AM »
Chempa foliage is not smooth and has a sandpaper quality when young.

This comment has me thinking, do jackfruit have the same sandpaper feel to the foliage as seedlings? I bought a "jackfruit" seedling from the nursery here in town and the leaves are rough on the bottom like sandpaper. Could I have something different? A chempedak or chemp/jack hybrid maybe? The leaves threw me off when I bought it, some were round and some were two or three lobed. I think I read here that someone said jacks do have three lobed leaves when they're seedlings and that the seedlings with lobed leaves turn out to be superior so I didn't do any further research to see if it was something different. The thing has been super fast growing, when it got it in May/June it was maybe 2 feet tall and now it's almost 7. On its main trunk it puts out a new leaf and almost each time a branch from the leaf bract. It's a little ratty right now from the wind here but I can put up some pictures if that might help in an ID
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:08:22 AM by JoshuaTilaranCR »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 09:28:56 AM »
Some jakfruits have rough leaves too. I cannot tell the difference between a hybrid and a jakfruit. Chempadaks I have grown have short hairs on new buds and new stems.

Chempa foliage is not smooth and has a sandpaper quality when young.

This comment has me thinking, do jackfruit have the same sandpaper feel to the foliage as seedlings? I bought a "jackfruit" seedling from the nursery here in town and the leaves are rough on the bottom like sandpaper. Could I have something different? A chempedak or chemp/jack hybrid maybe? The leaves threw me off when I bought it, some were round and some were two or three lobed. I think I read here that someone said jacks do have three lobed leaves when they're seedlings and that the seedlings with lobed leaves turn out to be superior so I didn't do any further research to see if it was something different. The thing has been super fast growing, when it got it in May/June it was maybe 2 feet tall and now it's almost 7. On its main trunk it puts out a new leaf and almost each time a branch from the leaf bract. It's a little ratty right now from the wind here but I can put up some pictures if that might help in an ID
Brandon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 10:15:24 AM »
I saw these "Boca Champedeks" when Excalibur first got them.  From what I know, they were not from Coconut's tree (forum member).  The fruit were small and roundish and from what I was told, very much champedek like but I never saw the fruit in person.  The grafted trees did not look like a champedek
- Rob

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »
Rob, do you know anyone that has Coconut’s Champedek or Jakfruit’s fruiting? Would love to try some seed’s of those and his humorous post’s no longer grace the forum.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 12:33:12 PM »
This is 100% A. integer on jackfruit roots growing in Florida. The pubescence and fragility give it away. I am trying to get these growing big enough to get some more grafts done and hopefully make some crosses. It is growing under an Amber seedling of a seedling so that would be a good place to start for sure. There is also a seedling of Murahilin's high quality Berry seedling growing underneath to graft into the canopy.

The other Rob from Excalibur (not bsbullie) said the Boca Chempedek was easy peel and soft flesh. I am guessing it is a sloppy jack or maybe a hybrid, definitely not 100% integer. Hopefully there will be a taste report soon. They should be getting to fruiting size.

Rob, do you know anyone that has Coconut’s Champedek or Jakfruit’s fruiting? Would love to try some seed’s of those and his humorous post’s no longer grace the forum.

Jonah, I have a seedling of Coconut's Boca Snob jackfruit here. I'll let you know when it fruits. Maybe next year. I just gave it a ton of love and retrained it's canopy two days ago since it is on trellis and strangely multigrafted and somewhat neglected. I will try to push it hard this year.
-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk