Author Topic: Music helping plants grow?  (Read 3909 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Music helping plants grow?
« on: October 14, 2020, 07:21:56 AM »
While I may have been tentative with buying in to moon gardening I am keeping an open mind with musical gardening.
https://sciencing.com/does-music-affect-plant-growth-4596442.html
https://pistilsnursery.com/blogs/journal/music-and-plant-growth-heres-what-the-science-says
There actually seems to be some science supporting the notion that music can help plants grow. They seem to prefer more tranquil genres that heavy metal or say hip hop.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Music helping plants grow?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 09:59:43 AM »
 Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose, a biologist from Calcutta, India was a pioneer in plant's consciousness and sensory feelings. In his lab Sir Bernard Shaw a pure vegetarian was stunned to see a cabbage shivering like convulsions from minute amount electrical stimuli. I was told this in my school days 7/8 decades ago. later I was lucky enough to read 2 of his books on this subject. It will be of interest to your query. Triphal

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:21:49 AM »
Classical music for plants.  It's high vibrational energy. 

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
Oh great.
Now, in addition to feeling guilty when I eat meat, I am going to feel bad about eating my plants!
I already apologize when I prune them...

Carolyn

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 03:10:52 PM »
2500 years ago after a sermon by Gautama (Lord) Buddha where he advocated non violence towards all kinds of animals, birds, fish, insects et.al. and pointed out that they should not be consumed as food. After the sermon his well learned disciple Ananda asked his teacher "Lord. Don't the plants and seeds have no life?". His teacher had no answer nor reply but turned his head and gazed at the Sun! Triphal

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 03:21:44 PM »
2500 years ago after a sermon by Gautama (Lord) Buddha where he advocated non violence towards all kinds of animals, birds, fish, insects et.al. and pointed out that they should not be consumed as food. After the sermon his well learned disciple Ananda asked his teacher "Lord. Don't the plants and seeds have no life?". His teacher had no answer nor reply but turned his head and gazed at the Sun! Triphal

The last meal he ate was dried boar's flesh at the house of Cunda

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
It was Amanita muscaria aka 'Fly agaric'. Gautama (Lord) Buddha was a historical(non-fiction) great soul died after consuming Amanita muscaria aka 'Fly agaric'. His familiar boatman requested him to stay overnight in his home on return at the ferry and he will cook his favorite dish. This is where he died of 'Mushroom poison'. I had the privilege of discussing this subject about 40 plus years ago with the scholar on 'Mushrooms' Robert Gordon Wosson of New York. He has told me that it is unfortunate that our colonial writers have used to suppress and tarnish their conquered country's people, their culture, religion and the civilization so that they can still remain in power! I am fortunate to have read many papers and books by the late Gordon Wosson and also the historical (non religious) ancient history of the World. Thank you and nice to know your interest in the presence of 'consciousness' in plants and mushrooms. Incidentally mushroom is like us, a consumer!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 07:49:14 PM »
While I do think that music can help plants grow, would it make a difference big enough for everyone to buy industrial sized speakers and set them up to play classial music? ??? ???
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 05:37:39 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 09:50:28 PM »
Poa spp. might enjoy listening to Blue Grass, but I think that the only heavy metal plants appreciate are chelated iron, potassium and phosphorous.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 01:37:29 AM »
Very witty MS some of my trees could use some inspirational tracks like eye of the tiger, simply the best, them from rocky and that kinda style.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »
Well, I dont know if the plants are happier, but my little parrots have been wildly singing along to the Brandenburgh Concertos for hours now!

Carolyn

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 06:18:33 AM »
Mike I'm ready to DJ your garden party. I have a technical beat that will penetrate the ground and invigorate the root systems of all your trees

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 06:22:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

That guy in the red hat used to be great singer once.

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »
E tu MikeT?  The Tropical Fruit Forum is now 'stripped' to uncover it's bareness from Down Under! Triphal

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 10:06:56 AM »
Great stuff Triph and I think some in here could benefit from a little culture and who better than Sir Les Patterson ex-cultural Attache' and ambassador for the Arts to listen to. A champion of gender equality, racial harmony and gay rights. Look at a few minutes of this interview with Parkinson and the lady beside him is Jacki Weaver, best actress academy award winner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkrbfkTHCn8

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »
Hey Mike I came across a Maraca player for your garden party today. Out on the Peavine grade :)

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »
 Crotalus adamanateus is among the 25th in line for the most poisonous snakes in the world. Down Under has 21 of the most poisonous snakes out of that 25 list and will put our 'rattler' to shame! Triphal

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »
In my area Taipans, eastern browns and death adders or amongst the ones not to mess with in the garden. A couple of weeks ago I found a small carpet python and showed it to co-workers who were not enthused.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 04:30:58 PM »
Crotalus adamanateus is among the 25th in line for the most poisonous snakes in the world. Down Under has 21 of the most poisonous snakes out of that 25 list and will put our 'rattler' to shame! Triphal
Can they make music? This one here can make beautiful music. It reminds me of when I was a little baby, put me right to sleep :) Food for thought. If you choke on a marshmallow you will die in a very short amount of time and they're not even poisonous LOL
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:33:43 PM by bovine421 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2020, 04:35:27 PM »
They hiss only and not in time with music

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 06:04:35 PM »
But I remember hearing the 'whistling' of a Russell's Viper when I was in Primary school. We were told snakes don't have vocal cords. And this deadly viper while hissing occasionally creates pharyngeal tones. But there is one variety of snake with vocal cords.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 06:11:15 PM »
I know they can get people to generate quite a few decibels especially with chance encounters.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2020, 07:03:08 PM »
Wow a whistling snake only if you could train him to whistle Dixie. I would pay to hear that. Mike I heard Tale of a flying snake on that head shrinking Island next to ya'll. Is there any truth to that or is that just beer talk :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
The gliding tree snakes in SE Asia? They are very similar to one of my local tree snake species that comes in a variety of colours. There are even blue ones around town and here is a partly blue one.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »
Mike I've owned bird dogs and coon dogs but I think you may need a snake dog. You need a breed that can smell the snakes and alert U of the snakes without getting bit by the snake. Mike when I was a wee little lad my grandmammy told me a story about the Garden Snake That Could Talk.He was actually very good at selling fruit.lol :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:56:53 PM by bovine421 »