Author Topic: Pepe's Fruit Trees  (Read 19451 times)

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
Pepe's Fruit Trees
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
Hello everyone,

Just joined the forum and look forward to posting once in a while. I have a nice selection of Tropical and Sub Tropical fruit trees.

Working currently on growing several varieties of Ficus carica species.
If you are looking for fruit trees stop by andt.

We also have Miracle Fruit Trees in various sizes.

I operate a registered fruit tree nursery from my home in Davie, Florida. We are not open to the public in Davie that's why we ask you visit one of our locatios or visit our web site to learn more about what we offer.

I hope it's okay to add a link to my site. Well here it is http://www.pepesplants.com

All the best and this forum is a great resource.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:36:21 PM by ggpalms »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »
I've bought a guava and persimmon from Pepe's.  They were both beautiful trees.  Jason takes a lot of care in producing his trees, and they're of the highest quality.  And he loves what he's doing and will explain everything you need to know in detail. :)
John

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »
Wow John that was quite a nice welcome. Glad all is well.

Thank you!

"Pepe"

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »
Welcome, Pepe.  We would enjoy knowing what varieties of figs and other fruit plants you have.

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
We have the following Fig trees/bushes available in 3 gal:

Black Mission
Brown Turkey
Green Ischia

We are propagating:
Texas Blue Giant (Fanicks Nursery Texas)
LSU Purple
Panache (Tiger stripe fig) People say it won't grow well here in South Florida. We shall see.
Texas Everbearing
Celeste one of many and very confusing to identify. Waiting for the figs to come for better I.D.

Violet de Bordeaux: Nice tree! Gorgeous figs almost a few weeks away from tasting will let everyone know soon.

Kadota from California Doing great with plenty of figs. Surprised it's doing so well!

White Genoa from California, so far it's growing well and loaded with figs. I am very surprised so far!

Israeli Fig (?) Given to me by Clyde a former member of the Rare Fruit Council maybe someone knows him and he can confirm it's cultivar name. He swears it is big tasty and roots well and grows great here in South Florida. About 25 are rooted in one gal now. No idea what the fig is like yet from first hand experience.

Now to clear some possible confusion. My name is Jason. I named my business after my Fathers Nick Name. Now I get called both Jason and Pepe.

As for the rest of what I grow:

Atemoya (Lisa 4826 Zill) and Geffner
Avocado several varieties
Mango several varieties
Soursop
Sweetsop
Persimmon
Miracle Fruit
Dragon Fruit Hylocereus Guatemalensis and Undatus and named hybrids.
Jaboticaba
Goji berry
Guava several varieties
Loquat named varieties like Champagne, Vista White, Yehuda

Okay that about covers it. Find more on my web site: http://www.pepesplants.com

Take care and thanks for the warm welcome.

Jason "Pepe"

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »
Welcome Jason "Pepe".  What's the story behind the "Pepe"?  Nickname for you....alter ego.....someone you are emulating or honoring? Enquiring minds want to know.  ;)

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »
I am wanted by the FBI so I go by the name "Pepe".

Actually, As I said earlier that was my Fathers name Jose and in Spanish culture, a Jose is also a "PEPE". I chose the business name to honor him and because he was a hell of a plant guy. He could grow anything!! He and my Grand Dad, Uncles and Cousins taught me more in the field than any classroom.

Well, hope that helps. Psssst don't tell the feds I am here!

Thanks

"Pepe" ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
I like the caricature drawing! I always thought Pepe was a nickname for people named Pedro (Peter)? Great to hear that gardening is in your blood.
Oscar

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »
Oscar, You know what. It's funny you say that Pepe is for people named Peter. Last week a guy from The Dominican Republic told me the same thing.  All I know is that in Cuba, Jose's are known as "PEPE"S"

Any Cubans want to back me up?

Take care Oscar, one day I will visit your beautiful part of the world.

Looks like this Forum has some great peeps.

Jason "Pepe"

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »
Bem-vindo Jason/Pepe!

I have an interest in growing figs in containers.  I am trying a couple figs from Europe.  I hope at least one will adapt to SW Florida.
Any variety you recommend for container culture?

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
I am hoping to get Black Jack fig. It is one of the best for containers from what I have read.

Actually I grow almost all my varieties in containers. I treat them like Bonsai and they do great!

I don't dwarf them I just keep them in a maximum size pot eventually of 15 or maybe 25 gal.

For the last 9 months I have been using Geopots/ Fabric Grow Bags. I like the ones with velcro sides so I can check the root system and it's easier to transplant than from a typical fabric bag. The fig trees seem to do very well in the bags.

Here in Dade and Broward we have lots of sandy soil,  loaded with nematodes. Those nematodes really do serious damage to the roots causing root knots and nutrient deficiency and more.

When growing in pots or bags keep the pot or bag on a concrete or wooden surface at least 18 inches from the ground if possible.

According to one of my DPI nematode inspectors the nematodes pass out if they have to climb high altitudes of 18 inches. Bad joke but that's what he said. Actually it is a requirement to grow them 18 inches off the ground if you want a nematode clearance stamp for shipping. Someone please correct me if this is wrong! No problem, man. But seriously did you hear about the nematode that climbed up a pot 17 inches and died from the altitude? Haha! another bad ( Horrible)  joke.

Rust fungi in our humid Florida is also an issue but we fig growers have learned to live with it. It comes and goes some years worse than others. So far it's not too bad.

Growing in containers restricts the roots and the figs seem to have no problem with it. Eventually you would prune and re pot with fresh soil.

I like using a balanced time released fertilizer like Florikan 13-13-13.

Good luck and have fun growing your fig trees. Be sure to obtain common figs that do not require pollination from wasps and other figs. It gets complicated so maybe we will discuss the other type of figs some other time.

Jason "Pepe"

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
I've bought a guava and persimmon from Pepe's.  They were both beautiful trees.  Jason takes a lot of care in producing his trees, and they're of the highest quality.  And he loves what he's doing and will explain everything you need to know in detail. :)

I am in Broward same as Pepe. I see him on Craig's list, going by that and his website, just the way he represents, that he loves  what he is doing. Pepe is helping people get their edible fruitscape into gear. I read about permaculture and Bill Molinson 30 years ago and now his ideas are becoming widespread partly due to a ###### economy.

Bill Mollison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Mollison
Bruce Charles 'Bill' Mollison (born 1928 in Tasmania, Australia) is a researcher, author, ... In 1978, Mollison founded The Permaculture Institute in Tasmania.

Edible landscaping is where it is at!!

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
Jason, "Pepe",
Obrigado/thank you so much for the information!  I used to live in Europe, mediterranean area, and I miss some nice juice figs.  Besides, I enjoy seen my fig eater wife happy! She loves figs!  I will keep working on them!

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Berto all the best and have fun growing figs here in Florida.

Zands thanks for visiting our site and glad you have seen me on Craigslist. Thanks to all who have commented about my trees and love of growing. Bill Mollison is the man! Permaculture is amazing!! Have you ever read the book One Straw Revolution? Get it and you will see many parallels to Permaculture.

I think everyone on this Forum makes up a unique group of individuals. Not everyone out in the world shares the collective passion for growing edible plants, fruit trees etc found here. What I like best after observing many posts on several topics is the unselfish attitude of the membership. You guys and I assume gals, provide a wealth of experience that many are too busy or maybe uwilling to share.

Good for you who share. The world is a big place and it has plenty of room and need for people who can grow food and teach others the same.

I really enjoyed looking at the awesome grafting photos by Adam. Looking forward to posting some pictures as well as soon as I find them on the hard drive somewhere.

A shout out to our Brothers and Sisters who share our passion all over the world!

Special thanks to Fruitlovers in Hawaii I have ordered seeds from him and he is a class act. Every seed I planted germinated and looks great!

Peace,

Jason "Pepe"  :)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 04:02:57 AM »
Berto all the best and have fun growing figs here in Florida.

Zands thanks for visiting our site and glad you have seen me on Craigslist. Thanks to all who have commented about my trees and love of growing. Bill Mollison is the man! Permaculture is amazing!! Have you ever read the book One Straw Revolution? Get it and you will see many parallels to Permaculture.

Jason "Pepe"  :)

First read "One Straw" after it came out which might be 1977 or so. Masanobu Fukuoka ate brown rice which most (97%) Japanese refuse to do. Thousands of people made a pilgrimage to his 10 acre plot. He grew tangerines and citrus for income. He could do that (randomly casting vegetable seeds) into the clay and volcanic soils of Japan but not here in south FL. You cannot cast seeds into our miserable sand (zero clay) soils and do OK. Wood chips from the tree trimming crews is the key to a rough approximation of what Fukuoka did who lived to a nice old age of 95 and palled around w Bill Mollinson. Wood chips mulch decomposing into humus is our best way to approximate a soil w clay content. Humus retains (holds) minerals and nutrients the way clay does.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:15:59 AM by zands »

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 06:50:31 AM »
Right on!
Hope to meet up and chat one day in person.

Take care,

Jason "Pepe"

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 07:00:20 AM »
Glad to hear that you had good results with the seeds i sent you. Keep up the good fruitful work you're doing there! BTW i am a big fig fan, but rainforest climate here is not very good for tasty figs.
Oscar

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 07:35:43 AM »
Yes but you have Hula Dancing Girls, great weather and lot's of fruiting goodness! Can't wait to visit!

Oh and of course Hawaii five O is back. Book em Dano!!

Peace,

Jason "Pepe'
 8)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
Welcome!  :)
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »
Yes but you have Hula Dancing Girls, great weather and lot's of fruiting goodness! Can't wait to visit!

Oh and of course Hawaii five O is back. Book em Dano!!

Peace,

Jason "Pepe'
 8)

The international hula festival occurs on this island for a whole week. Was last week, happens every year in Hilo. It's called Merry Monarch festival. That's a good time to visit if you like hula dancing...but men also dance hula!
Oscar

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »
Men? Really?

I don't think I can handle that.

LOL

"Pepe"

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 01:57:05 AM »
Wanted by the FBI??

Fruit Buyers institute?

LOL!

Come out of hiding, and lets talk some fig!

I've got a rare one that u ought to be hounding me for cuttings of!  Maybe u already have one?

Its called Zumwalt...if you type "Zumwalt" into the form search, you'll my posts about it.

Take care Jason!

Seriously I'm going to be contacting you soon about that "Texas Blue Rocket Fig"
I am wanted by the FBI so I go by the name "Pepe".

Actually, As I said earlier that was my Fathers name Jose and in Spanish culture, a Jose is also a "PEPE". I chose the business name to honor him and because he was a hell of a plant guy. He could grow anything!! He and my Grand Dad, Uncles and Cousins taught me more in the field than any classroom.

Well, hope that helps. Psssst don't tell the feds I am here!

Thanks

"Pepe" ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 09:59:44 AM »
Fruit Buyers Institute yeah that's them!
Good One :)

Just got a call for a delivery so I gotta fly.

Will look up that zwahili fig thing a ma jig later.

Peace,

Jason "P"

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
Just in case anyone wants to follow me on Twitter for special offers and updates on growing fruit trees organicaly:

https://twitter.com/Pepesplants

You can also visit us at http://www.pepesplants.com
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:13:12 AM by ggpalms »

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
I have six nice 3 gal Oro Negro Avocado Trees 33 inches planted height!
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »

Call me if you want one for this weekend ($35.00)  954-740-4070
http://www.pepesplants.com

Take Care!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:40:08 PM by ggpalms »