Author Topic: How does Manila mango taste?  (Read 8394 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
How does Manila mango taste?
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:33:48 PM »
I keep seeing this 5-gallon Manila mango staring at me every time I walk by in Lowe's. As some of you may know, I recently got several mango trees from Top Tropical, they're all doing fine. I'm wondering if Manila is worth it to add to the collection. Is it sweet, tart, fiberless,... How would you compare it to some of the other well known cultivars?
Thanks,

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: How does Manila mango taste?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »
I keep seeing this 5-gallon Manila mango staring at me every time I walk by in Lowe's. As some of you may know, I recently got several mango trees from Top Tropical, they're all doing fine. I'm wondering if Manila is worth it to add to the collection. Is it sweet, tart, fiberless,... How would you compare it to some of the other well known cultivars?
Thanks,

Then don't walk by it  ;) 8)
- Rob

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:45:05 PM »
Easier said than done, especially when the fruit tree section is so prominently displayed (fig, guava, cherimoya, mango, dragon fruit,...)  :)

Thanks,

Then don't walk by it  ;) 8)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »
Thanks,

I would buy it.
It is one of ye old reliables in California. La Verne propagates them for a reason.....success in California climates. It is a SE Asian type like Nam Doc Mai and the fruit looks kinda like it. Must taste like........ I have fruits on mine for the first time and I'll let you know in a month. Ask MangoFang. He has had a successful Manila in  Palm Springs for a few years.

I will post photos of the Nam Doc Mai and Manilla fruits if this will help. The are both elongated. Not roundish fruits

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »
NewGen - I have a couple manila's and they are quite different. My "star" Manila is about a 6.5 on a scale
of 1-10, it is sweet, but this kind of mango, in my experience, needs to turn wrinkly for max. sweetness.
There is some fiber around the seed, at least my fruits have it.  Their is really no complexity to the flavor.

I believe mine, and all laverne manila's, are seedlings and account for the diverse type of fruit they seem
to have (again, that's my experience).  This manila I'm talking about above has larger fruit and is kind of
oval in shape - my second manila tends to have smaller fruits with a beck.

It is a fast grower, but you'll have to wait at least 3 years for your fruit.  But another positive is, it seems
pretty well acclimated to our climate and handles the cold pretty well.

So, not sure what to tell you.  If I knew then what I know now, I probably would not have purchased it, but would
have gone with a Valencia Pride or a Lemon Zest.  Also, fast growers, but better tasting fruit....

Gary

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »
NewGen - I have a couple manila's and they are quite different. My "star" Manila is about a 6.5 on a scale
of 1-10, it is sweet, but this kind of mango, in my experience, needs to turn wrinkly for max. sweetness.
There is some fiber around the seed, at least my fruits have it.  Their is really no complexity to the flavor.

I believe mine, and all laverne manila's, are seedlings and account for the diverse type of fruit they seem
to have (again, that's my experience).  This manila I'm talking about above has larger fruit and is kind of

It is a fast grower, but you'll have to wait at least 3 years for your fruit.  But another positive is, it seems

So, not sure what to tell you.  If I knew then what I know now, I probably would not have purchased it, but would
have gone with a Valencia Pride or a Lemon Zest.  Also, fast growers, but better tasting fruit....

Gary

Thanks Gary,
The only reason I'm thinking of getting the Manila because they're so readily available at Lowe's. The others you mentioned (Valencia Pride, Lemon Zest) are no doubt higher on my list than Manila. If they were available at Lowe's or Home Depot, I wouldn't look at Manila twice. The 3-year+ waiting time is not important to me. For me, part of the enjoyment of growing these tropicals is to see them grow.
Trung

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »
The regular Manila we eat here in Mexico ( I believe in California they have a mango with diffetent shape call the same name as far as some pics I've seen; also if you google image the Manila 90% of images are from the ataulfo aka Champagne mango) is a top cultivar; mid size ; around 350/400 gr; light yellow thin skin; elongated shape kind of Nam Dok; flesh is fiberless' soft' buttery' with a very sweet floral; honey flavor with some vanilla notes; to proper stage is when you see some small brown spots ( freckles ) this usually happens about  4/7 after harvest; while if eat it before could be tart

El verde es vida!

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:01:50 PM »
Raul,
Thanks for the clarification. I don't like the "champagne" mangos  too much. I can't seem to find them at the correct stage of ripeness. The ones in your photos look yummy.  :)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
NewGen, just to clarify, pictures in Internet are wrong referring to Manila, they show the Champagne Mango instead, and the two mangos are totally different cultivars IMHO the Manila is far superior mango!
Saludos!
El verde es vida!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:07:17 PM »

Thanks Gary,
The only reason I'm thinking of getting the Manila because they're so readily available at Lowe's. The others you mentioned (Valencia Pride, Lemon Zest) are no doubt higher on my list than Manila. If they were available at Lowe's or Home Depot, I wouldn't look at Manila twice. The 3-year+ waiting time is not important to me. For me, part of the enjoyment of growing these tropicals is to see them grow.
Trung
Trung,
You can get 5 gallon grafted Valencia Pride mango trees from California Home Depot or Lowes stores.  However, you may have to special order this from HD or Lowes, but the price should still be $49.98.  The propagator is LaVerne Nursery.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:10:07 PM by wslau »
Warren

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »
Warren,
I didn't know those mangos are $49.98. The Manila is only $23.xx
Thanks,

Thanks Gary,
Trung
Trung,
You can get 5 gallon grafted Valencia Pride mango trees from California Home Depot or Lowes stores.  However, you may have to special order this from HD or Lowes, but the price should still be $49.98.  The propagator is LaVerne Nursery.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 03:06:19 PM »
So this is my Manila #2 with more beaked fruit:

....and this is my first Manila tree with more oval fruit:

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
Those look great!! I went to the local Lowe's, all the Manilas were sold.  :(
I ended up with a couple papayas.  ;D

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
Those look great!! I went to the local Lowe's, all the Manilas were sold.  :(
I ended up with a couple papayas.  ;D

Newgen, if you can make it to Fallbrook, there are several nurseries who have PIN florida trees.....such as Sunrise, Carry, CC, Nam Doc Mai, and other rare vareties for us Californians...Exotica, Atkins Nursery, and Louies Nursery have some of these trees...LA county also has a few places you can check out.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
Clay - have you been this place, Champa Nursery, in El Monte before?

I wonder how their $65-3 gallon mango plants compare with the ones
at those Fallbrook Nurseries.....

Gary

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »

Gary

Thanks Gary,
Trung
NewGen, If you ask your home depot or lowes to order it for you they will, at least my home depot & lowes in South Florida will.... Might be worth a try!
Joe

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »
Clay - have you been this place, Champa Nursery, in El Monte before?

I wonder how their $65-3 gallon mango plants compare with the ones
at those Fallbrook Nurseries.....

Gary

Fang these seemed like standard 3 gal trees....nothing more than a single stalk with minimal branch structure at best
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!