Author Topic: Market new season pink's mammoth,sam ru du and black sapote  (Read 8812 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
The seasons are a changing and the winter crop of sam ru du (3 seasons) mangoes is well under way early and they are one of my favourite mangoes.
African pride atemoyas have yielded to the more extensive, far better eating but uglier Pink's Mammoth.
Black sapotes are about once again and I secured a fruit from a seedling tree and I suspect the parent was giant Mossman.It is scrawnier than Mossman but still has swagger and I suspect it will be seedless.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Market new season pink's mammoth,sam ru du and black sapote
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
If you post one more such picture, I will have to speak to a travel agent.  Wow.

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D

That atemoya looks awesome! Let us know about flavor!
Jackson

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:50:07 PM »
3 seasons a year for one variety? Do you think this factor is influenced by a climate in your area or its variety issue? Some Sri Lankan mango varieties fruit almost continuously. (8 months a year). Some with multiple seasons. I'm still trying to figure out, is it genetics or a climate?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
DL it is the variety and hence the name 3 seasons. One major mango farmer here planted lots of trees and is now making a killing due to the out of season production and premium prices paid in southern large city markets by Asian people for this mango style.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:03:09 AM »
Oh boy,  I feel so embarrassed now!!  I'm so used to never ending mango season in Sri Lanka, that I thought you are also experiencing the same phenomena, and 3 seasons means just that:) I was there for almost 3 months during winter time, and many trees kept flowering, and producing at various stages of ripeness. The same varieties of mangoes were available entire time, and I was told its fruiting even now.
However I'm glad I wrote to you. It got me thinking why it is so unusual from the rest of northern hemisphere?  Enlightenment bolt struck me. I'm speculating it has something to do with rootstock they use. Does it influences flowering periods??? Rootstock and endemic species in question called Mangifera zeylanica. http://www.botanicgardens.gov.lk/herbarium/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=1788&Itemid=90    It says:  "Flowering February, March and November" I think this translates to a very long season and having fruits and flowers at the same time. Could this be a secret? I need to ask when I go...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:19:27 AM »
DL commercial mangoes that have a large single fruiting maturation all at one time are preferred for ease of harvest. Village mangoes are preferred if they have a long season, multiple seasons or are ever-bearing but these types are not common. Sam ru du is not a real ever-bearer as it has several fruiting flushes each year so they still are good commercially.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
I had sam rue do flower together with all other variety's this year. If it really fruits of season i will see from now on.

My mangotree's bloomed from oktober untill march and branches that didn't set fruit at the first bloom did on the 2nd bloomtime.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
Really nice selections mike.  Thanks for sharing:)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 12:57:15 AM »

The mammoth is a sensation with no grit, no seeds big sections and an excellent sweet taste and smooth tasty flesh. It is so far ahead of the trashy flat tasting African Pride and Gefner it is ridiculous. They must be the prince of Annonas.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 01:53:41 AM »
About a couple of months ago, I launched a backyard scale project with the help of a few members here to propagate Pink's Mammoth in So Cal with the hope that it would spread widely after. We all grafted a number of scions I bought from Oscar and the grafts are doing very well so far. Hopefully, in a year or two, it would be humanly possible to find Pink's Mammoth at least among aficionados here in California. The other objective is to allow some inspired people to use Pink's Mammoth as a starting point to create better varieties here in the US the way Australia did to have Hilary White then Paxton Prolific.
Thera

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »

The mammoth is a sensation with no grit, no seeds big sections and an excellent sweet taste and smooth tasty flesh. It is so far ahead of the trashy flat tasting African Pride and Gefner it is ridiculous. They must be the prince of Annonas.
Good to know! I will have to order one from PIN soon.
Jackson

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »
Pine island nursery has pink's mammoth?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »
I hope it is the real thing that they have. I saw the pix and description of the Kensington Pride mango they distribute and they are a pale shadow of the real deal.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 10:42:02 PM »
Mammoth is completely seedless?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »
ben they usually have a few hollow seeds but sometimes are seedless. I presume unpollinated flowers produce seedless fruit and maybe those in pure stands of their own variety have fewer seeds. I am not sure but they are never like the seedy atemoyas.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »
Do you hand pollinate this tree ?

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 01:35:22 AM »

I wish they did, it would have saved me a lot of trouble and saved a lot of time. They advertise online that they have PM but actually they don't.
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 01:36:31 AM »
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »
If they can only create a top flavored Cherimoya that is seedless!!!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 02:12:13 AM »
A few of them are nearly seedless. A few reference say mammoths are to 3kg and AP are to 500g but you could double that. The one in the picture was an average large one in the batch and there would have been 4kg fruit and I know they get bigger. Not all are large.

Oscar people say PM doesn't need hand pollination and I see it in yards with my own 2 eyes. When It was written I just dismissed what  knew.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »
A few of them are nearly seedless. A few reference say mammoths are to 3kg and AP are to 500g but you could double that. The one in the picture was an average large one in the batch and there would have been 4kg fruit and I know they get bigger. Not all are large.

Oscar people say PM doesn't need hand pollination and I see it in yards with my own 2 eyes. When It was written I just dismissed what  knew.
My Pink's produces fruit without hand pollination, though i don't doubt i would get lots more fruit and bigger fruits if i hand pollinated it. Mine also produces seeds but the majority of seeds are empty inside. I notice most African Pride fruits are also this way. I'm thinking this may be due to bad pollination, and that if they were hand pollinated the seeds would be fully formed.
Oscar

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »

Yes, go to there website and scroll down the first page of "Plant Characteristics" until reaching Atemoya. There it will say varieties, and it will say Pink Mammoth.
Jackson

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 12:34:43 PM »

Huge fruit Mike! the texture looks like soursop, cotton wool, that's not very appealing. You are going to have to show us more to convince the cherimoya partisans. Any pics of Tropic Sun and Paxon?

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »
Thanks  Have you confirmed this?  Another member says they don't have it.  Dave

Yes, go to there website and scroll down the first page of "Plant Characteristics" until reaching Atemoya. There it will say varieties, and it will say Pink Mammoth.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 03:56:58 PM »
It does not have a cotton wool or soursop like texture. I broke it up by hand to show how the sections separate a bit like sugar apple. I am only baiting cherimoya lovers because I just don't know how good they are. I will grab a Paxton prolific soon and take some pix.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »

I ate a lb or two of this black sapote for breakfast and it was great considering it was cut half a day early. It has a rich sweet taste in the context of black sapotes.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 07:49:51 PM »

Wow. That looks great mike.  Is that a moist type?

I ate a lb or two of this black sapote for breakfast and it was great considering it was cut half a day early. It has a rich sweet taste in the context of black sapotes.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »
ok.  that's it.  book me a ticket to Cairns.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk