Author Topic: Juan Jose Avocado (seedless)  (Read 9133 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Juan Jose Avocado (seedless)
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:51:45 AM »
I'm going to start a thead on this avocado a lot of people are interested in it. I started to pick fruit from the tree to estimate maturity/picking dates. If others are growing please contribute.
More on this at: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/juan-jose-avocado-seedless.html

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Juan Jose Avocado (seedless)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »
Carlos looks Interesting !, Cant wait for the Taste report !.

Ed..
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 12:09:30 AM »
Wow, that is wonderful, a seedless variety! Will definitely be looking into the specs. of this one.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:07:49 AM »
I'm having a huge memory loss moment, but somebody (can't recall who) recently reported tasting them, but they had a seed, albeit a small seed.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »
ok, so it was carlos, maybe I read it on his website.  My bad, guys! 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »
Carlos, I hope this isn't too much to ask, but you have a lot of experience putting up a great show.

If whenever you can, you can put up a video of slicing open one of those seedless avocado beauties, I would really appreciate it and I'm sure others would too.

Also, how is the productivity on this seedless variety? And, what's the ultimate size of the tree, small, medium, tall?

Many thanks for the update on this interesting variety.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:00:37 AM »
Carlos, I hope this isn't too much to ask, but you have a lot of experience putting up a great show.

If whenever you can, you can put up a video of slicing open one of those seedless avocado beauties, I would really appreciate it and I'm sure others would too.

Also, how is the productivity on this seedless variety? And, what's the ultimate size of the tree, small, medium, tall?

Many thanks for the update on this interesting variety.
The picture speaks for itself. This is the fruit shown above. Clearly has a seed. Now 16 oz fruit is not the size to pick these since it did not  ripen evenly. I picked a 22 oz and will see how it ripens.

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »
Thank you

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »
Carlos,  you need to make a new thread with your video on the injection system you are developing for your Avocado trees, I came across that video on Youtube.  I mentioned injection systems on mango trees once here in the forum,  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2681.msg37809#msg37809   
but what your doing is super cool.  custom designing and 3d printing your own Injectors.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »
Can someone explain to me why this is called "seedless" when their is a giant seed present? I'm an avocado noob...

I would love to see a video of this injection apparatus and technique, sounds very interesting.

-joep450

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 10:34:23 PM »
Part one of several designs for injecting trees with fluid. It is now the only way to protect an avocado from Laurel Wilt. More systems to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-27vTGtJeo&list=UUbMoLV68ygA6pvno1OGcsUQ
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
Back to the Juan Jose Avocado. Definitely not a seedless, as the season progresses  the seed is getting smaller and the the taste is better. A nice looking fruit that does not oxidize easily. Taste is light but very pleasant, great texture, light but not watery,  a great complement  for a light meal such as fish. Reminds me of a lighter version of Catalina. Perfect with what I had for dinner.

Roasted fresh Alaska Cod with a light key lime dressing, steamed  Honey Gold creamers, mixed green with Juan Jose Avocado.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:35:17 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 11:02:01 PM »
Nice taste report on Juan Jose avocado Carlos, very interest video on your injection system you've got going. How close is the laurel wilt to you now Carlos? Hope your system works would be a huge bummer to get that disease in your grove! :'(

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »
This "seedless" avocado sounds like the perfect tree to peddle a hundred years ago in the days of snake oil salesmen.  You could hype everyone up, sell lots of trees and be on the opposite coast by the time people figure out it was a hoax.  Good to know it tastes decent though.
~Jeff

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »
saw this for sale at Frankie's yesterday.  too bad it actually has a seed, but the taste is great at least!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 01:26:32 AM »
I asked Noris Ledesma about this, when I made a visit back in April,  she told me they are seedless, and does not understand what happened with Carlos.

She gave me a few scions, and they took,  I also have one that Carlos gave me,  so only time will tell,  I do not have my expectations too high.  but if the fruit is good quality, its not going to be a total loss if they have a seed.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 07:02:33 AM »
I have heard that the fruit can vary on some seedless avocado varieties with some fruit being skinnier and seedless and other fruits on the same tree being wider with a various side seed. Have you heard that before? Are all the fruits from your tree that same similar shape as you have pictured?
Did yours come from Fairchild farm? The shape of the fruit in your pictures does not look like the shape that was described to us or used by Richard and Noris. Thanks for posting your experience!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:07:54 AM by geosulcata »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:10 AM »
Noris most likely knows about "cukes" so if she said it is seedless (rather than: it produces a lot of seedless fruit, then that makes me wonder)...keep us posted!  ???
~Jeff

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »
May be I got the wrong scion. One of the issues I have with the collection at Williams Farms is that there is little or nothing published so one has to rely on their memory. Mine is definitely not a seedless. Has any one seen the seedless from Fairchild is there a picture of it any where?
Mine is productive and decent quality it ripens in the middle of summer where we have plenty better.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
May be I got the wrong scion. One of the issues I have with the collection at Williams Farms is that there is little or nothing published so one has to rely on their memory. Mine is definitely not a seedless. Has any one seen the seedless from Fairchild is there a picture of it any where?
Mine is productive and decent quality it ripens in the middle of summer where we have plenty better.

The photo of the Juan Jose published by Fairchild is in my post above. That is also how Noris described it to us.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:24 PM »

while this is far from accurate, the tree is right behind the house to the west of the patio area (near the anatto tree) between the patio and the driveway.

Sorry, i can't be more helpful....been a while ::)
~Jeff

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
I was seeking for information about seedless avocado when I found this thread. But I don´t found the answer I was searching for.
I know that a seedless fruit occurs due to defective pollination. A normal tree can produce fruits with and without seeds. Grafting that seedless avocado branch onto other seedling, will result in a tree that produces only seedless avocados, or we will have normal avocados (with seeds) in the grafted tree too?  ???

As a side note, I found this interesting text about pollination of avocado: http://www.groworganic.com/organic-gardening/articles/avocado-flowers-a-and-b
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:37:57 AM by Cassio »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »

I know that a seedless fruit occurs due to defective pollination. A normal tree can produce fruits with and without seeds. Grafting that seedless avocado branch onto other seedling, will result in a tree that produces only seedless avocados, or we will have normal avocados (with seeds) in the grafted tree too?  ???

I have a Fuerta that produces some seedless fruit.
There is not a branch that produces the seedless fruit. A grafted branch would produce normal avocados.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:04:14 PM by ricshaw »

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
I have a Fuerta that produces some seedless fruit.
There is not a branch that produces the seedless fruit. A grafted branch would produce normal avocados.

Hmmm ....
So in fact, there isn´t a var of avocado without seeds... It is just an occasional occurrence.
Thanks for the answer!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:30:42 PM by Cassio »

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
May be your Fuerte rarely produces a fruit without pollination and so seedless....with Persimon it's quite common...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk