Author Topic: Going Bananas! Newest additions to my tropical fruit collection.  (Read 7778 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
I added four banana plants to my collection.  This increases my collection to about 75 fruit trees / plants.

FHIA-1 (Goldfinger)  - should fruit in 10-12 months

FHIA-17 (two of them) - they were really cut back because they came in the mail.  - should fruit in 16-18 months

Dwarf Cavendish

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Going Bananas! Newest additions to my tropical fruit collection.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »
I would not hold my breath for Goldfinger to fruit in such a sort time.  If these don't fruit in two years are you going to cut these down too?
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »
I would not hold my breath for Goldfinger to fruit in such a sort time.  If these don't fruit in two years are you going to cut these down too?

Who knows what will happen in two years.  My Dwarf Cavendish could die of Black Sigatoka in two years.  The time frames were from a Florida banana farmer who knows a lot more about bananas than me (including how to better care for them).   I also suspect his soil is better suited for bananas than my sugar sand.

It would be nice to have a 100 lb hand of bananas, but I'm not holding my breath.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »
Mr clean if you can get dwarf namwa, this is a great, delicious and hardy banana that doesn't take up a lot of space.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:35:34 PM »
Mr clean if you can get dwarf namwa, this is a great, delicious and hardy banana that doesn't take up a lot of space.

Thank you for the suggestion.
www.FLMangos.com

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:06 PM »
I've had Goldfinger planted out for just about a year and Dwarf Cavendish even longer. Neither have fruited yet. Those, along with my other varieties, are growing quite well though. Large and healthy looking. Some of my relatives planted out several varieties around the same time as me. They are further south and in more muck-like soil. Their banana trees are reaching maturity much faster.

Drop me a PM if you're looking for more banana varieties to plant out. I have to thin out the pups every now and then. Perhaps we could trade pups for mango budwood.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:38:06 PM »
If you want to srart a banana collection,  I would recommend adding the following:  Glui Kai, Raja Puri,  Pisang Raja, Dwarf Red, Philippine Lacatan, Kandrian, FHIA 3.
- Rob

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:48:37 AM »
If you want to srart a banana collection,  I would recommend adding the following:  Glui Kai, Raja Puri,  Pisang Raja, Dwarf Red, Philippine Lacatan, Kandrian, FHIA 3.

Rob I'm pretty sure glui kai is a thai prefix. There's lot of Glui kai (insert) varieties. For example there's 'glui kai pratabong'. A lot of them are vareties off egg or 'woman's breast' types--you know the ones with the bulbous fruit. Bananimal will know about it if he logs on.

I have namwa, blue java, m veltuina, goldfinger, red dacca and some other unidentified dwarf type which isn't dwarf cavendish.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:01:04 AM by starling1 »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 12:56:53 AM »
Nice  :)
Alexi

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 01:32:46 AM »

Who knows what will happen in two years.  My Dwarf Cavendish could die of Black Sigatoka in two years.  The time frames were from a Florida banana farmer who knows a lot more about bananas than me (including how to better care for them).   I also suspect his soil is better suited for bananas than my sugar sand.

It would be nice to have a 100 lb hand of bananas, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's not always about size. My favorite tasting banana is Tuu Gia which make tiny racks- 15-20lbs. Monkey finger taste similar and make bigger racks but are more prone to disease ?

Dwarf Namwah is a hell of a plant. But I do get tired of eating them. Like most bananas... I have ventured more into the plantain realm.  Fei / Fehi plantain and popoulu are tops. Good when raw and perfectly ripe. Matooke An African Cooking banana, supposedly really productive, seems promising but I haven't tasted them yet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:35:09 AM by ben mango »

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 01:48:31 AM »

It's not always about size. My favorite tasting banana is Tuu Gia which make tiny racks- 15-20lbs. Monkey finger taste similar and make bigger racks but are more prone to disease ?

Dwarf Namwah is a hell of a plant. But I do get tired of eating them. Like most bananas... I have ventured more into the plantain realm.  Fei / Fehi plantain and popoulu are tops. Good when raw and perfectly ripe. Matooke An African Cooking banana, supposedly really productive, seems promising but I haven't tasted them yet.

Thai fried banana/plantain with premium quality ice-cream and your choice of topping is just about as close to a perfect food as I've ever had.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 09:25:58 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  For bananas I am primarily focused on 1) disease resistance and 2) productivity.  The FHIA-1 and FHIA-17 meet those two criteria.  The Dwarf Cavendish is was a gift, so I planted it. 
www.FLMangos.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  For bananas I am primarily focused on 1) disease resistance and 2) productivity.  The FHIA-1 and FHIA-17 meet those two criteria.  The Dwarf Cavendish is was a gift, so I planted it.

Raja Puri, FHIA 3 and Philippine Lacatan also fall into your requirements.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:15:21 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »
Can't say I've had Philippine lacatan in hawaii... But I'm going to Philippines in a few days so I'll keep my ears and eyes open for them

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »
Contra! ts MC ! , I have 3 Banana's That have fruit here in NE Florida, you should have much better results than me.
I have 1 Oronoco with fruit & 2 D Namwah that have Flowered ;),,

Ed..

P.s let me know if you want a healthy D Namwah Banana put !..

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:28:54 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions Rob.  Honestly, I am happy with the FHIA-1 (Gold Finger) and FHIA-17.  Because of the way bananas propagate, I suspect I have enough already. 
www.FLMangos.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
I like the Dwarf Ducasse (Kluai Namwa Khom) too. I have one under a massive crepe myrtle that gets no water and still it fruits. Toughest of any available here.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »

Thank you again for the suggestions; I decided to plant another FHIA-1 pup because it became available.  I did more research.  Raja Puri gets Black Sigatoka.  Fhia 3 is supposed to taste like Orinoco (starchy).  Philippine Lacatan is believed to get both Sigatoka and Panama disease.
www.FLMangos.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »

Thank you again for the suggestions; I decided to plant another FHIA-1 pup because it became available.  I did more research.  Raja Puri gets Black Sigatoka.  Fhia 3 is supposed to taste like Orinoco (starchy).  Philippine Lacatan is believed to get both Sigatoka and Panama disease.

"supposed and "believed"...sometimes advice from first hand knowledge is much better than something written, especially since what is written may not apply to you or your area.  Street smarts can be much better than book smarts at times.  When FHIA 3 is let to go fully ripe, it is not starchy but creamy.  Its a banana with a dual purpose, like Dwf Orinoco, but with a much different taste than Dwf Orinoco.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 02:29:12 PM »

"supposed and "believed"...sometimes advice from first hand knowledge is much better than something written, especially since what is written may not apply to you or your area.  Street smarts can be much better than book smarts at times.  When FHIA 3 is let to go fully ripe, it is not starchy but creamy.  Its a banana with a dual purpose, like Dwf Orinoco, but with a much different taste than Dwf Orinoco.

My information came from a Florida banana farmer.  He has probably forgotten more about bananas than I will ever know about bananas.   
www.FLMangos.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »
This may be your best bet for "perfect" fruit:

and by going this route, you could even have the "perfect" ultr-tropicals:

Problem is, you won't find these at any nursery.  Might want to try Pier 1 or ebay in the "home goods" section.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »
This may be your best bet for "perfect" fruit:

and by going this route, you could even have the "perfect" ultr-tropicals:

Problem is, you won't find these at any nursery.  Might want to try Pier 1 or ebay in the "home goods" section.

I'm not sure what your point it.  I believe the FHIA-1 and FHIA-17 are disease resistant and productive, which is what I am looking for.  I don't believe I should acquire other bananas just because they are different.  If a banana farmer believes Philippine Lacatan gets both Black Sigatoka and Panama Disease, then that is good enough reason for me to avoid it.   
www.FLMangos.com

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »

Thanks for mentioning these again.  I had planted a Glui Kai at your suggestion, but had completely forgotten the name.   I think the other one you found for me is Pisang Ceylon; both plants have been thriving with all the heat and rains we're getting.     And Pisang Raja is growing as if it's on steroids.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk