Author Topic: Angel Red Pomegranate  (Read 8885 times)

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
Angel Red Pomegranate
« on: April 09, 2016, 07:23:07 AM »
Finally after 3 years on the ground my Angel Red Pomegranate is flowering for the first time!...You can see the Pomegranate buds (small developing fruits) in the pictures!...Nice and beautiful pomegranate tree!.....

From the internet: (Willis Orchard Co.)

"The Angel Red Pomegranate is a new variety with some unique qualities that make it the very "best" pomegranate in the world. The Angel Red Pomegranate matures in early September, bears heavy crops, has soft seeds that can be chewed and eaten, and has a vivid red color. This pomegranate tree also has the highest juice content per fruit. The high juice content is awesome but the really great attribute, for those who like eating fresh pomegranates, is that you no longer have to spit the seeds because the seeds are soft enough to be eaten along with the pulp, which makes the whole experience of eating a pomegranate even greater!"....

Angel Pomegranate (or any Pomegranate varieties) it is worth growing it, for the qualities and properties of the fruit (delicious juice)!....

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Angel Red Pomegranate
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 09:10:04 AM »
Are you in South Florida?  Where do you get the tree?
John

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
Are you in South Florida?  Where do you get the tree?

John:

Yes, I am in South Florida!......I got the tree for Willis Orchard Co. (https://www.willisorchards.com/) three years ago......

Take care,
Hector

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:02:31 AM »
I have a Sirenevyi, Bala Miursal and a Gissarskii Rozovyi. All three are just
one year old and were purchased from Green Sea Farms. No blooms or fruit
yet and they are in containers.
Michael

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
This is good news. Please keep us posted on the fruit development.
Jeff  :-)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
My Russian Turk apparently flowered and I have a marble sized fruit that I discovered yesterday. I just planted it a few months back. Meanwhile my 3 and 4 year old trees refuse to flower. Thanks for posting the pics, I was wondering what their flowers look like. Mine must have flowered while I was away for a week because I wander around and look at everything closely at least every two days. Since its only one fruit I will leave it, thats my usual plan with younger trees, more than that and I get rid of the extras.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

I have 2 Vietnams that are doing well but no fruit yet (they're smaller than yours, at 5-6ft but very skinny trunk). I have a dwarf pomegranate that has been putting out occasional fruit for 2 years but while the frequent flowers are pretty, the fruit is not very juicy nor very red and does not make for great eating.

I have been considering buying Angel Red or Wonderful (both of which are available sometimes through TopTropicals), but have not made up my mind yet. Please post when you get to taste a fruit (with pics!) so we can find out the quality of the flavor, seed edibility, etc!

A note for those who didn't know, pomegranate leaves are also edible and healthy, so you can make use of the trees while you're waiting several years for the fruit!

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
I have a Sirenevyi, Bala Miursal and a Gissarskii Rozovyi. All three are just
one year old and were purchased from Green Sea Farms. No blooms or fruit
yet and they are in containers.

Michael,

Good luck with your pomegranate varieties!....

Hector

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
This is good news. Please keep us posted on the fruit development.

Thanks Jeff!

I will keep posting updates on the fruit development, harvest time (September-October), taste report.....

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
Thank you,  Tropheus76 and LivingParadise!

I will follow and keep with updates!.....

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

I have 2 Vietnams that are doing well but no fruit yet (they're smaller than yours, at 5-6ft but very skinny trunk). I have a dwarf pomegranate that has been putting out occasional fruit for 2 years but while the frequent flowers are pretty, the fruit is not very juicy nor very red and does not make for great eating.

I have been considering buying Angel Red or Wonderful (both of which are available sometimes through TopTropicals), but have not made up my mind yet. Please post when you get to taste a fruit (with pics!) so we can find out the quality of the flavor, seed edibility, etc!

A note for those who didn't know, pomegranate leaves are also edible and healthy, so you can make use of the trees while you're waiting several years for the fruit!

I also would like to hear more when you harvest them.  The Vietnamese that I had a few years back were not very good, and they got anthracnose most of the time.  I yanked them a while back....

How are the leaves?  Do you eat them raw or cooked?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
I have a decent sized tree. It grows well and puts out fruit but they rot before they are ripe for me.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 02:40:44 PM »
I've started including my pomegranates in my mango thracnose spraying routine.
Jeff  :-)

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 05:03:59 PM »
My five year old Angel Red Pomegranate is the most consistent producer of the varieties I have. The Desertnyi located next to has on average only moderate production and ripens later. Angel Red is the first to ripen. My four year old Sireneyi is large now (9-10 feet tall) but has yet to produce any fruit. I will give it two more years and yank it if there is no production.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »
Whoa!  That's a gorgeous tree, Johnny!
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »
I have a decent sized tree. It grows well and puts out fruit but they rot before they are ripe for me.

Disappointing!  Why do you think that is?
John

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »
My Pomegranate fruit do not rot but I live in a semi arid climate hear in So.Calif that is generally dry with low humidity in the summer. In Florida you are wet with high humidity and that may be one of of the many factors that effect you fruit.

Johnny

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 05:58:11 PM »
My Pomegranate fruit do not rot but I live in a semi arid climate hear in So.Calif that is generally dry with low humidity in the summer. In Florida you are wet with high humidity and that may be one of of the many factors that effect you fruit.

Johnny
Yeah, Johnny.  That's what I'm afraid of.  And the hot sun here can absolutely cook fruit.  Anyway, I'm telling my friends in L.A. and Orange County to plant Angel Red!
John

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »

Pomegranate leaves can be eaten either raw or cooked. (The flowers can also be eaten, but then we wouldn't have any fruit! I have not tried them yet, but might start eating them off my Dwarf Pomegranate since I'm not a huge fan of the fruit it makes.) The leaves have a very distinct and rather amazing flavor. It's hard to describe, but they are very nutty, a bit sour, with a bitter aftertaste, and kind of astringent. Unlike with some plants, the leaves taste nothing at all like the fruit. I don't think I can place what they might taste similar to. I think the flavor is too strong to make a salad up of entirely pomegranate greens, but I think they are a good compliment raw with other greens or vegetables. Cooked, they are not as astringent or bitter, so more of the nuttiness and sourness stays central to the flavor. I have not tried them enough times yet to experiment with cooking techniques because I wanted to encourage my trees to grow quickly, but I suspect that they would be delicious in dishes like soups or stirfrys.

Note: pomegranate leaves have strong health benefits, and because of this you might want to be cautious about how many you eat at a time. They are used for many different conditions, including to treat insomnia, abdominal pain, dysentery, jaundice, cough, and a topical paste can be used to treat eczema. They are also used for weight loss, and can even be used in hormone replacement therapy. Pomegranates leaves also contain high antioxidant content, just as the fruits do.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
I m from south florida. And I thought that california was ok, but florida was to humid.  Can you ecplain the reasons of your success? Thanks
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »
Got one from Willis Orchard Co. early last year. "The Angel Red Pomegranate matures in early September, bears heavy crops, has soft seeds that can be chewed and eaten, and has a vivid red color." Quote from website. Happy to hear that it is performing well. Looking forward to fruit...maybe next year.

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

I also would like to hear more when you harvest them.  The Vietnamese that I had a few years back were not very good, and they got anthracnose most of the time.  I yanked them a while back....

Jeff,

I add the pomegrantes leaves to my salads or boil the leaves and serve them as hot tea to my family!....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:14:28 AM by HMelendez »

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
My five year old Angel Red Pomegranate is the most consistent producer of the varieties I have. The Desertnyi located next to has on average only moderate production and ripens later. Angel Red is the first to ripen. My four year old Sireneyi is large now (9-10 feet tall) but has yet to produce any fruit. I will give it two more years and yank it if there is no production.

Johnny,

Wow, that is a nice, beautiful Angel Red Pomegranate tree!...I will try to grow my Angel Red Promegranate tree similar to yours!....

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »
An update on the Pomegranate plant edibility discussion - as it turns out Dwarf Pomegranate flowers are VERY strong tasting, and I found them too bitter and astringent to eat raw, but they seem like they might be a good vegetable cooked. I'll give that a shot later. The leaves are also a bit stronger tasting than on my Vietnam trees, but still have that nice nutty flavor and probably would be good cooked, since I like the Vietnam's leaves cooked.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
Pomegranate do not do as well in Florida as they do in California.   The outside will not look as red and beautiful in Florida either. 
- Rob