Author Topic: Junglesop (Anonidium mannii) About time we dedicated a thread to this one!  (Read 67087 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Junglesop (Annondium mannii) About time we dedicated a thread to this one!
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 04:37:39 AM »
I gave 2 others away to an expert propagator and he tells me they are germinating.I don't know which style of germination those ones have.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 06:58:33 AM »
Mike - very different from mine which follows the description given by Troy! Interesting to be documenting the sprouting habit on this public forum.

Different in what way?

All mine broke at the level of the seed like the Stelechocarpus burahol and then sending up a small stem / extension of the root before sprouting; not extruding like the 'bean', which is also observed for several of the annona spp. I understand Troy believes this could happen due to rot.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
Oh poo.

my A. mannii hasn't breached surface yet.

I picked around at my seed, and noticed it was germinating for sure.

I think it got a bit cold for the seed though, and one night of about 38F may have rotted the seed.

I know my cherapus barely lived.  I only have about 5 left out if 100.  Maybe more will sprout this spring...they take forever as well.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »
Very interesting recordings of the behavior of the seeds. Almost 3 months gone and the germination rate of my seeds 0%. Should I wait more?
Mike

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
Yes, wait longer. I probably would have been the first to get the seed in pots? but only have one thats starting to poke its head up. I would have planted them 6 months ago. They have all put their energy into growing strong roots and should come up fine in time from the secondary shoots after the connection to the seed has been broken.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 01:20:12 AM »
Thanks Bmc. Very strange behaviour. I hope they come up in spring very healthy and strong enough
Mike

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2013, 12:24:42 AM »
Would have to dig into my comments on Yahoo group to recall - but Berchemia discolor, Canarium schweinfurthii, Aframomum sp., Oyster nut, Annona senegalensis and Vitex sp. springs into mind. There are many more which I have never tasted, but they are (even more) highly recommended so the Ugandan list alone is a lot longer of course. Several others are still good, but perhaps not to that level; Tamarind, Cordia sp., Chrysophyllum sp., Pseudospondias microcarpa, Giant Yellow Mulberry etc.
I think the main problem is accessibility together with lack of cultivation and selection practices here in Africa - in addition; most people are not less interested in trying new things; as an example I have traded more soursop and noni seeds than rare African species...

There are so many wonderful cultivars that are wanted where I live (South Florida, U.S.A.); Junglesop, Giant-Yellow-Mulberry...
About waiting 10-20 years for a seedling of Junglesop to fruit, to me that is a no deal. The way to go is to bring in either budwood and graft it onto an annona cultivar or bring in an air-layered/grafted cultivar.
We definitely need more Fruit-Tree Indiana Jones'. So many fruit trees, so little time.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
I was inspecting a junglesop seed I planted last September...thinking that it was rotted.  I was surprised to find that it had germinated, and sent down a root.  It still hasn't even thought about sprouting up yet.  I'm still praying that it shows me some leaves soon!  Maybe I'll give it the slightest amount of fertilizer.  If it sprouts up, I'll post a pic!  I've been dreaming about this plant ever since I saw Bill Whitman's.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BMc

• View Profile
I have my first true shoot emerge over the weekend, so thats a full 6 months after planting in August.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
I have my first true shoot emerge over the weekend, so thats a full 6 months after planting in August.

thanks for the info...glad to hear u got a shoot!  I wonder how long to fruit from seed? 6 yrs?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
In your last sentence, if you meant seed to fruit, Roy Danford estimated a minimum of 10 yrs.  He also suggests it may be dioecious. (see Congo Native Fruits: 25 of the best by Roy Danforth & Paul Noren)

Sounds like these are pretty slow to germinate but if you look at one of its relatives (kepel), not so bad.  I got fresh seed from Oscar & the first didn't germinate for 10 months and it was about 15 months before all that were going to germinate, did.  So the slow germination for junglesop is probably not too surprising.

John

thanks for the info...glad to hear u got a shoot!  I wonder how long to fruit from seed? 6 yrs?

BMc

• View Profile
Germination is actually very fast - its the emergence of a stem that takes a little bit of time. Leave the seeds in a ziplock bag for a fortnight and youll end up with a tangle of roots!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
thanks for the info.

In your last sentence, if you meant seed to fruit, Roy Danford estimated a minimum of 10 yrs.  He also suggests it may be dioecious. (see Congo Native Fruits: 25 of the best by Roy Danforth & Paul Noren)

Sounds like these are pretty slow to germinate but if you look at one of its relatives (kepel), not so bad.  I got fresh seed from Oscar & the first didn't germinate for 10 months and it was about 15 months before all that were going to germinate, did.  So the slow germination for junglesop is probably not too surprising.

John

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Hi Adam,
That's freak'n awesome news  8) I thought my seed, was rotten....Thank goodness, the seed is doing the twist and tango in the pot ;D ;D ;D But, i got to say, this badboy sure is dragging it's ass  :blank:
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
it's alive!  starting to sprout like a bean...very slow.

can't wait to see some leaves!!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
It's like franken-annona, it's alive! alive! I have created a a a.... ultra rare fruit TREE. haha... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

BMc

• View Profile
I have about 15 up and about that again still to emerge. Biggest has already powered on to about a foot.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
I have about 15 up and about that again still to emerge. Biggest has already powered on to about a foot.

keeping them in full shade?  I'm planning on keeping mine in lots of shade until it's about 6ft tall.  I want the leaves to get really big, if all I'm going to see for 10 yrs is foliage!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile

keeping them in full shade?  I'm planning on keeping mine in lots of shade until it's about 6ft tall.  I want the leaves to get really big, if all I'm going to see for 10 yrs is foliage!

Mine are under 30% and growing steady
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

PedalaiMaster

• View Profile
Cool, once everyone here has trees, we just have to find out a good rootstock so we can graft it and make ourselves more already producing trees. Maybe soursop would work, cherimoya could be a try, one of the large annonas probably.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Cool, once everyone here has trees, we just have to find out a good rootstock so we can graft it and make ourselves more already producing trees. Maybe soursop would work, cherimoya could be a try, one of the large annonas probably.

I doubt any of those suggestions would work because all annonas are in different genus than the junglesop. Probably never been tried so i guess it's worth the gamble if you have lots of scion wood to play with.
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile

I was blown away when I read about this unlikely graft by my friend Juan in Mallorca.
He got Castanea sativa (chestnut) to take on some Quercus sp (oak).

http://jardin-mundani.blogspot.pt/2013/03/y-el-milagro-fue-posible-y-se-hizo.html

So, maybe there are some weird grafts still waiting to happen.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:01:31 AM by siafu »
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

PedalaiMaster

• View Profile

I was blown away when I read about this unlikely graft by my friend Juan in Mallorca.
He got Castanea sativa (chestnut) to take on some Quercus sp (oak).

http://jardin-mundani.blogspot.pt/2013/03/y-el-milagro-fue-posible-y-se-hizo.html

So, maybe there some weird grafts still waiting to happen.
  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o my gosh

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
So if I remember correctly, its about that time a year again when some people on the forum got Junglesop seeds.

Does it look like anyone will be able to get seeds this year?
- David Antonio Garcia

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
So if I remember correctly, its about that time a year again when some people on the forum got Junglesop seeds.

Does it look like anyone will be able to get seeds this year?
I'd like to get a few of these also...