Author Topic: Rare pineapples  (Read 9196 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Rare pineapples
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
I am currently planting side shoots of the red pineapple, so hopefully next year i will have enough to sell to any forum member interested.

Awesome, sign me up for as many as possible. Is the flesh red as well?
No, only exterior is red. But is very good tasting. Will make announcement next summer when i'm ready to send some. Will have only very limited quantity.
Oscar

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 08:45:52 PM »
Here's a list of several ways to increase the number of plants you can generate with propagation material. I wish they had more illustrations, but it was written back in 1987, when the world was in black and white.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Here's a list of several ways to increase the number of plants you can generate with propagation material. I wish they had more illustrations, but it was written back in 1987, when the world was in black and white.
Mark in Texas found another article with more detail on propagation techniques.

Some tidbits:
Stump sectioning. Stumps are harvested after the one-inch open heart flowering stage or after fruit har­vest. Leaves are stripped off starting at the base, or they are cut off leaving the leaf bases attached to the stump. The stump is cut longitudinally into quarters or sixths, which are then cut into wedge-shaped sections weigh­ ing 15–20 g, each having at least one axillary bud. The sections are dipped in fungicide and planted bud upward 2.5 cm apart and 2 cm beneath the soil in a well-prepared, fumigated nursery bed. The bed may be lightly mulched with straw or compost. As many as 50 sections may be obtained per stump. A section will produce another stump in about two years.

Crown sectioning. Crowns are cut vertically into quarters or sixths, starting at the top and cutting toward the base. The vertical sections may be cut horizontally in half between the crown base and apex. After drying for one to two days, the sections are dipped in fungicide and sown 2.5 cm apart in nursery beds, with the leaves above ground. Plantlets from crown sections should reach the original crown size in less than one year. Un­der semisterile conditions, crowns have been micro­ sectioned to produce up to 100 plants.

:o
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »
Rich soils and over fertilization seems to have created many offspring from my tops. I have several tops from Kuai White Sugarloaf Pineapples I ordered about a month ago and put them in rich soil with small amounts of slow release 18-6-8 Nutricote and they are sending off good amounts of clones.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 08:34:02 PM »
Here's a picture of a top I got about two months ago with three clones coming out of it.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
Here's a picture of a top I got about two months ago with three clones coming out of it.

Simon

The clones would have started to grow anyways with or with out the fertilizer added its cause
the center of the crown was tore out and that forced it to start growing ground suckers in its place
you should pick the biggest one and let it keep growing into a mother plant remove the others or
replant them into new pots
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 10:48:19 PM »
My first tops I got from Jude were also cut out but the center grew. I wonder what caused the first ones to grow out and these later ones to grow suckers? I have a lot of White Jade clones now but very few White Sugarloaf so I'm going to keep all of them for now. I'll definitely start thinning them once I have enough plant material. Thanks for the tip Jimmy!

Simon