Author Topic: Curator's Choice Mangoes Posted  (Read 22244 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Re: Curator's Choice Mangoes Posted
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
I am disappointed that Fairchild's curator's choice changes this much.   I view FTGB as the "consumer reports" of mangos.  Unless the changes are "newly discovered" mangos, I don't see why the list should change (presuming Fairchild initially thoroughly researched the mangos).
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
I only know NDM mango from the list but it suprises me that Rapoza is kicked off. I thought it was such a good variety?

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 10:52:20 AM »
I really think it has to do more with availability,I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »
I look at the changes as a good chance to pick up some potentially good, "new" varieties, already grafted and growing.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
I look at the changes as a good chance to pick up some potentially good, "new" varieties, already grafted and growing.
Exactly!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
I am disappointed that Fairchild's curator's choice changes this much.   I view FTGB as the "consumer reports" of mangos.  Unless the changes are "newly discovered" mangos, I don't see why the list should change (presuming Fairchild initially thoroughly researched the mangos).

The list will always change each year...not completely of course. But it changes to bring in those who already have some mango trees and want another. And if a Fairchild introduced variety get lots of positive feedback.... Then maybe the big propagators start grafting it and not just for America. You might have a Latin America guy visiting the Mango Festival, being very impressed with one of the new mangoes. Buy the plant, take it home and start propagating it for his commercial grove. Or he might ask Zill to graft 100 for him
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:57:27 AM by zands »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 12:40:40 AM »
Is it a coincidence that Fairchilds promotes Fairchild?  ;)
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 01:29:21 AM »
Doesn't Fairchild do themes ? like  "Mangoes of Hawaii" ? looks like they are going to do "Mangoes of Mexico" this year.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 05:53:10 AM »
Do anyone know the English variety names of ones we have in Taiwan called "Yu-wen" and "I-wen"?

Skin is pink-yellow, can get up to 700g, not much fiber.  just huge and really nice eating.  but bruise easy and not ship well i dont think.  I try find English info but not have much luck.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 08:59:03 AM »
Do anyone know the English variety names of ones we have in Taiwan called "Yu-wen" and "I-wen"?

Skin is pink-yellow, can get up to 700g, not much fiber.  just huge and really nice eating.  but bruise easy and not ship well i dont think.  I try find English info but not have much luck.

I have I-wen grafted on my tree's 4 times now. Is it a nice one Kay? Yu-wen is the mango from 4 lbs (2kg) right? How is that one tasting?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 09:07:54 AM »

Yuwen was bred in Taiwan I believe ,a cross between "Iwen" and Chinghuang,  so it doesn't have an English name besides "Yuwen". I think I'd also seen it called "Yuwen Red".

I believe I-wen is "Irwin", a mango from Florida that is grown commercially in Taiwan and Japan.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »

Yuwen was bred in Taiwan I believe ,a cross between "Iwen" and Chinghuang,  so it doesn't have an English name besides "Yuwen". I think I'd also seen it called "Yuwen Red".

I believe I-wen is "Irwin", a mango from Florida that is grown commercially in Taiwan and Japan.
Yes, the name "change" is a pronunciation thing between the languages.
- Rob

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 03:28:43 PM »
Recently I gave a Manzanillo tree away and planted a Carrie instead  ::)

On page 32 you can see a picture and describtion of Manzanillo:

http://www.icia.es/icia/download/fruticulturatropical/Guia%20descriptiva%20de%20cultivares%20de%20mango_optimized.pdf

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
Recently I gave a Manzanillo tree away and planted a Carrie instead  ::)

On page 32 you can see a picture and describtion of Manzanillo:

http://www.icia.es/icia/download/fruticulturatropical/Guia%20descriptiva%20de%20cultivares%20de%20mango_optimized.pdf

excellent reference Felipe....Manzanillo are excellent tasting mangos with beautiful color. I'm glad that Fairchild change their lineup.

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »

yes, correct.  Yu-wen (there are sometimes many different spelling of Chinese in English due to different pinyin systems in case anyone had trouble with Chinese stuff) is considered here the new and improved I-wen, and it is.  They are my favorite.

2kg, very possible.  i should weigh this season to check individual average.  sometimes like a small watermelon for size.  very little fibre and the taste is VERY sweet.  amazing mango.  we use in drinks and that too.  I am vegetarian so in mango season i will eat a full one for lunch and thats all i need, it actually makes me feel too full sometimes.  But locally there are over 30 accepted "varieties" of Yu-wen.

"Yuwen Red" i dont know, but here translated there is an Yu-wen apple.  apple mangoes are the smaller rounder red ones you see from mexico a lot.  Sorry i know very little about English variety name of mango.  But essentially it has the skin like those mexican red ones with the size and general taste/quality of the yuwen.  they hit the market big last year in Taiwan, this mango season is going to have some nice new ones i think hit the shelves.

I have I-wen grafted on my tree's 4 times now. Is it a nice one Kay? Yu-wen is the mango from 4 lbs (2kg) right? How is that one tasting?

best i ever have, but my trees will flower next year, so far i only buy them or take from friends trees.  yours flower yet? I only try mango from north america and asia though.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »
Irwin = Iwen, sometimes spelled Aiwen.

Yuwen is not Iwen / Aiwen.  I did some looking into all this a few months ago.  as squam said, its a cross between Irwin and another Chinese variety called Chinghuang. 

And i think its possible that Chinghuang is the same as Jin Hwang, or sometimes as Gin huang.  aka as the Golden Queen.

if this is all true, the Yuwen is a hybrid of Irwin and Golden Queen.

Another hybrid has been developed, where Yuwen have taken its color traits from Irwin, this other variety  seems to have taken its appearance from the Golden Queen ( Jin Huang ). called Summer Snow.

Apparently they look like mice:

Haha, ok, this is the only picture I could find of the Summer Snow mango, look at the skin, yellow with red specks, looks very attractive.   and could this be a winter mango?

Taiwan Develops New Mango Variety

Agricultural experts in southern Taiwan have developed a new mango variety and are trying to encourage fruit farmers to engage in large-scale cultivation of the fruit.

Huang Hsien-liang, head of the Kaohsiung District Agricultural Research and Extension Station, disclosed that the new mango variety, formally named Summer Snow, has some of the characteristics of the three most popular mango varieties in Taiwan: the indigenous mango, the Irwin mango and the Chin Hwang mango.

According to Huang, the Summer Snow mango, which weighs about 400 to 550 grams, smells like the Irwin mango but tastes like the indigenous mango, while its skin looks like the Chin Hwang mango. Its flesh, however, does not have the coarse fiber of the indigenous mango.

Experimentation on the new variety began in 2000, with the process of cultivation, comparison and screening spanning seven years before researchers confirmed their success in 2007.

The Summer Snow flowers between late December and early February, with its fruits maturing between May and July. The mango's flesh accounts for 75 percent to 80 percent of its weight. Huang said the new mango variety has the potential to become one of the most popular fruit exports from Taiwan.

At present, Taiwan has about 18,000 hectares of farmland dedicated to the plantation of mangoes, with 7,500 hectares for Irwin mangoes and 2,400 hectares for Chin Hwang mangoes.

Red-skinned Irwin mangoes, weighing about 400 grams each, are a favored fruit not only in Taiwan, but also among consumers in Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 01:54:28 AM »

Yuwen is not Iwen / Aiwen.  I did some looking into all this a few months ago.  as squam said, its a cross between Irwin and another Chinese variety called Chinghuang.

And i think its possible that Chinghuang is the same as Jin Hwang, or sometimes as Gin huang.  aka as the Golden Queen.

Another hybrid has been developed, where Yuwen have taken its color traits from Irwin, this other variety  seems to have taken its appearance from the Golden Queen ( Jin Huang ). called Summer Snow.

thanks for clearing it up!

to clear some confusion on the Chinese.

I=Ai. 
Ching = Jin = Gin
huang = Hwang

Your names "Chinghuang/Jin Hwang/Gin huang  are indeed all the same, just different pinyin/bastardization.  It is very common.  Sometimes a single town will have road signs with 4 different spellings.  Big cities even.  Its something that the gov is starting to realize, but it will always be a bad system because the languages sometimes dont have each others sound.  Like Yu in Yuwen, the Yu is not in the English language and can be very difficult for native English speakers to even try and copy right.  Just in case anyone wanted to know :)

On the Iwen/Yuwen front here.  There are no winter mango in Taiwan except "original" which they grow as big trees and are just old time mangoes.  they also eat them green a lot.  yellow ones, which are small, are just becoming available now from 2 weeks ago.  Green ones since new year.  better varieties are all in full flower right now.

the "Chinghuang" or Golden Queen I also have flowering now.

the color of iwen/yuwen varies because there are lots of different Yuwen to choose from which are recorded and sold to farmers for grafting.  every year new ones come out, i will take photos and show you here if any interest.  usually though i find Yuwen here more pink.  yellow-pink.  long like golden queen 20-30cm and very wide and VERY thick.  that why it so popular here because fruit flesh is very very deep from the seed.  But they are usually in market from about late May i think.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 02:43:16 AM »
MODS - can we split off this thread as it has gotten WAY OFF COURSE.

I am not questioning any of the varieties (though I would hedge bets that some of these catchy American names are marketing ploys for an existing variety, not a new variety) that are being named but will throw a wrench into things.  Just cause a mango has different skin coloration does not mean it is a hybrid or separate variety.  Case and point:  I have seen Mahachanok grown in Florida from three separate locations.  The colors range from a solid golden yellow, to orangey golden yellow, to the golden yellow with a deeper peach blush, to a skin color with distinct red blush/coloration.  All Mahachanok just different skin coloration.  This could be from locale, sun exposure or some other untested phenomenon...
- Rob

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »

thanks for clearing it up!

to clear some confusion on the Chinese.

I=Ai. 
Ching = Jin = Gin
huang = Hwang

Your names "Chinghuang/Jin Hwang/Gin huang  are indeed all the same, just different pinyin/bastardization.  It is very common.  Sometimes a single town will have road signs with 4 different spellings.  Big cities even.  Its something that the gov is starting to realize, but it will always be a bad system because the languages sometimes dont have each others sound.  Like Yu in Yuwen, the Yu is not in the English language and can be very difficult for native English speakers to even try and copy right.  Just in case anyone wanted to know :)

On the Iwen/Yuwen front here.  There are no winter mango in Taiwan except "original" which they grow as big trees and are just old time mangoes.  they also eat them green a lot.  yellow ones, which are small, are just becoming available now from 2 weeks ago.  Green ones since new year.  better varieties are all in full flower right now.

the "Chinghuang" or Golden Queen I also have flowering now.

the color of iwen/yuwen varies because there are lots of different Yuwen to choose from which are recorded and sold to farmers for grafting.  every year new ones come out, i will take photos and show you here if any interest.  usually though i find Yuwen here more pink.  yellow-pink.  long like golden queen 20-30cm and very wide and VERY thick.  that why it so popular here because fruit flesh is very very deep from the seed.  But they are usually in market from about late May i think.

Kay, I would love to see pictures of the varieties from your side of the world, and thanks for the info. the language thing is a bit confusing, please start a new thread/post on that topic when you do.  would be good reference.
William

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
Regarding the fairchild selection, I have seen "Diplomatico" mentioned a few times, in studies and reports.

here is an in depth study on characteristics of a few mangoes, including Diplomatico, you can compare it with other familiar varieties like Edward, Haden, Osteen etc.

Spanish:
http://redalyc.uaemex.mx/pdf/610/61011105006.pdf

Los frutos de mango de variedades con diferentes eta-
pas de maduración desarrollar
on características de calidad
excelentes para el consumidor, reflejados en buena firme-
za, color, acidez y sólidos solubles totales, con excepción
de ‘Diplomático’ y ‘Fabián’. La velocidad de respiración
fue moderada, lo que permite que los frutos tengan una
vida de anaquel entre 8 y 12 d. En general, ‘Palmer’,
‘Edward’ y ‘Ah-Ping’ son vari
edades con características
de calidad competitiva, si se comparan con los mangos
‘Kent’, ‘Keitt’, ‘Tommy Atkins’ y ‘Haden’ que se desti-
nan al mercado de exportación, mientras que ‘Diplomáti-
co’ podría competir con frut
os pequeños como ‘Manila’.

Diplomatic seem to have a shorter shelf life, and being on the small size, is not recommended as an export
mango, but one that could compete with Manila on the local market.

William

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »
Just got back from El Salvador. There they have a mango called 'Panades', which appears to be a seedling of the Mexican Oro mango and is meant to be eaten 'sazon' (mature green). What's interesting is that the 'Panades' is exceedingly popular in El Salvador, commanding 50 cents to a dollar a piece (about 5x to 10x more than the price of the other mangoes). I personally thought it was bland and insipid when fully ripe. Cultural differences in palate are immense.
Jeff  :-)

natsgarden123

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »
It would be  more interesting if the mango selections would change every year- sort of a "mango of the year" type thing

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »
JF - Heartwood had a question for you from the previous page:

"JF, tell us about eunice's ataulfo seedling, and how do we order it? "

Heartwood - I'm not sure you can order it.  She's just a very long time grower
who has this one tree (at least that's my understanding) but JF may know
more  about how to possibly get scions....

Fang  of the Desert

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 07:37:04 PM »
JF - Heartwood had a question for you from the previous page:

"JF, tell us about eunice's ataulfo seedling, and how do we order it? "

Heartwood - I'm not sure you can order it.  She's just a very long time grower
who has this one tree (at least that's my understanding) but JF may know
more  about how to possibly get scions....

Fang  of the Desert

Gary, I'm going to get some of that wood maybe next week. I will get carnival and some others I'll send some to you.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
A couple of mangoes have been added to the curator's list:

- Durian Mango
  - Edward

Durian mango sounds curious enough.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/Fairchilds17thAnnualInternationalMangoFestival/internationalmangofestival/
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk