Author Topic: Durian in Sabah, Borneo?  (Read 2647 times)

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
Durian in Sabah, Borneo?
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:08 AM »
Hello.  Next week 3 of use travel to Sabah again to see everything.  We are really hoping to try new types of durian, especially red color ones which look very amazing!  Last time we go Borneo we dont find any durian, even the more common commercial ones.  I am wondering if its is very seasonal or maybe we look in wrong places?    Our trip start in Kota Kinnabalu and we rent car and go sandakan, do river kinnabatangan and also go out to Pulau Tiga.  Are those areas have chances to try durian?

How can we find market for some of the interesting different kinds we see on internet?  So far we get to try Thailand varieties and Malaysian varieties on penninsula.  But Borneo not yet.

Thank you for any suggestions.  Unfortunately slightly too cold for Durian where I live, so we have to have import or travel to eat.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Durian in Sabah, Borneo?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »
Go to Jalan Segana (behind post office in downtown KK) after 4pm. All durians sellers show up at that time with truckloads of durians. They mostly sell some Thai varieties and Malay variety popular in Borneo called " Sarawak King". However you are going in offseason, so you may not find anything or find something at highly inflated prices...
Send me PM with your itinerary and I'll tell where to find durians in each town you go.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:06:24 AM »
From previous posts of members living there in Sabah it seems the prime durian season is December to January.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:52:04 AM »
The only red durians in Sabah now that I know about are the ones in my freezer.

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
Darn, oh well.  Is there another time of year one can find a good durian rush in Borneo?  Dec/Jan are abotu the worst months for me to take time off.  What about summer?

Durian Lover, i sent you a pm now :)

Thanks

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
The only red durians in Sabah now that I know about are the ones in my freezer.

Do you freeze them whole or remove pulp first? How long do they keep and how is the quality after freezing?
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:47:32 PM »
I have frozen D. zibethinus with seed removed and D. graveolens and D. kutejensis with seed still inside due to the thinner flesh and stickiness of the flesh.   D. zibethinus flavour and texture quality suffers the most.  D. graveolens suffers colour change from red to orange and flavour suffers a bit too.  Texture about the same.  D. kutejensis retains colour, flavour and texture.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:27 AM »
I have frozen D. zibethinus with seed removed and D. graveolens and D. kutejensis with seed still inside due to the thinner flesh and stickiness of the flesh.   D. zibethinus flavour and texture quality suffers the most.  D. graveolens suffers colour change from red to orange and flavour suffers a bit too.  Texture about the same.  D. kutejensis retains colour, flavour and texture.

Thanks for the info. Maybe D. kutejensis is the one that should be exported frozen? No wonder so many people don't like frozen durian.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk