Author Topic: Mango thief captured  (Read 4613 times)

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
Mango thief captured
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
Here is the one that was eating my Rapoza mangoes before I had the chance to try them for the first time. I used a half eaten mango to lure him into the trap and it worked. Now, it's BBQ time my friends.

The critter tried my Mallika mangoes first, but apparently the Mallikas were too hard, so it switched to the Rapoza tree. Now, since I'm already here, can someone please tell me whether it's time to pick my Mallikas 'cause they all look mature green to me. I have a Mallika ( see picture below next to a Pickering) that the prisoner knocked down but didn't touch, which is approx 6 inches long and has started to turn yellow.

The ones on the tree are even larger (7 inches long) as shown in the picture below (keep in mind that I don't have small hands)

Thanks a lot for your input!!

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Mango thief captured
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »
I doubt it was the squirrel. I don’t think he’s strong enough to carry them away. Raccoons are and they’re too smart to fall for a live trap.

I think the squirrel was framed!  When I was trying to trap my peach thief I caught several rabbits, I know they weren’t climbing a tree and carting them off.

Drop the squirrel off a few miles away and I bet the mangos keep disappearing.

Try using one of the motion detector sprinklers from amazon. Put tuna or cat food in the trap.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »
Have had good luck with marshmallows as bait for raccoons. Very few other animals are interested in marshmallows.

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
I haven't seen a raccoon around my house in a long time. Years ago there was a couple hanging around but I believe animal control eliminated them. The reason why I believe it was the squirrel is because the mangoes were getting eaten right under the tree and at around noon time (raccoons are nocturnal animals.)  Let's see what happens next...

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
Drop the squirrel off a few miles away and I bet the mangos keep disappearing.
What is wrong with you
Mike

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
I absolutely guarantee that animal control didn't "eliminate" all the raccoons from your neighborhood.  Even if they did (they didn't) a few years ago??  No way that they didn't move back in by now, impossible.

Squirrels usually get their food at dawn, first light.

I say spare the squirrel, give it clemency.  Have anyone you don't like?  Drop it off at their house!

Put a squirrel guard around the tree trunk, I like this sheet metal guard.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NSwPZYVkWc

Seriously, eliminating one squirrel will do NOTHING.  You have to raccoon / squirrel proof your tree, remove one, another will follow, trust me.

www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
I’m near Weston.  No problems with Racoons at my place.  The Squirrels however are like Mango wreaking machines. 

I bet the culprit is squirrel, and there are more nearby. 

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 10:52:32 PM »
I’m near Weston.  No problems with Racoons at my place.  The Squirrels however are like Mango wreaking machines. 

There are always more nearby. That’s why the answer isn’t to eliminate one squirrel, it’s to squirrel proof and raccoon proof the tree.

You are all mistaken if you don’t think there are raccoons nearby. There are ALWAYS raccoons nearby.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:44:38 AM »
I relocated the squirrel a few miles away —across I-75. Let's see tomorrow what happens.

Now, take a look at the marks left on a Mallika mango, do they look like a raccoon's teeth to you?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:12:38 AM by Paquicuba »

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »

There are always more nearby. That’s why the answer isn’t to eliminate one squirrel, it’s to squirrel proof and raccoon proof the tree.

You are all mistaken if you don’t think there are raccoons nearby. There are ALWAYS raccoons nearby.

Good luck with squirrel proofing a tree.  Only way to do that is to individually cage each Mango with a metal mesh.  It can be done for low lying fruit and small trees, but it is a lot of work per Mango.  Population control from hunting during squirrel season helps a lot.

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »
I heard burmese pythons will decimate mammal populations maybe once they make their way up to broward county you won't have these problems.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 10:27:11 AM »
I used a live trap about three years ago and caught 11 possum and 10 raccoon

All caught on fruit they had already ruined.

I got a big dog since and they don’t visit often any longer

I released them in a big block of woods with water nearby but sadly they have now dozed it all with even more homes coming soon.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 03:22:16 PM »
Humans vs animals. No wonder there are no more wild animals in many countries. More forests are burnt everyday for agriculture and increase in human population means less space for animals.
Spare the poor animal!

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
Problem is that in our area, there are very limited natural predators.  The squirrel population has little control other than food supply.  There are a few local birds of prey around, but not enough to keep the squirrel population in check. 

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
I caught 3 in the last month, with the same type of trap. They ate my figs, plums, and unripe mangoes. They all went to hell, Lol.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 10:05:00 PM »
I have to say that the squirrel is the guilty one. 
I took out the rabbit the other day with my sons .22 and not even 5 min after,  the squirrel showed up,  jumped onto the table and was about to help itself  to my mango seedlings.  Caught it in the act.
Waited for it to come back after I took a shot at it and missed.  He didn’t show till the next day while I was away at work.  I came home to find 4 more seedling trees eaten with the seeds dug out and chewed up.
Damn squirrel is on my hit list.
You should have taken it out and not relocated.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 02:08:35 AM »
I agree with the squirrel theory. They decimate my fruits and newly planted seeds. Yes, they eat mangos...as well as jaboticaba, avocado, citrus, sapodilla, pitangituba, lychee, and longan. They don't give a F. Chris
-Chris

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
I have the same problem with Rats, here in Florida Rats  nest and live  in Sabal Palms , I have cut down many Sabals and when they hit the ground you see several Rats take off. Before I get attacked, FOR EVERY Sabal WE  CUT DOWN , WE MUST REPLACED IT WITH ANOTHER ONE.
Most people blame other animals, the fact is when a Fruit  has a Hole on it, ( eaten by a rat at night) the smell attract other critters.
If rats are your problem, and your Fruits are getting eaten go outside  after Sunset when it starts to get dark and you should see them running.
Carlos

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »
Have had good luck with marshmallows as bait for raccoons. Very few other animals are interested in marshmallows.

But the raccoon will be out in one minute with this trap. happened to me and I had to do a major modification on the trap to keep him inside for a few more hours.

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
Two days later and I haven't lost another mango. Before the squirrel got captured and relocated, I was losing one per day.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 09:13:53 PM »
Roof Rats and furry-tailed rats (squirrels) usually do the most damage, but raccoons also do damage, often in the middle of the day when the neighborhood is the quietest, especially on cloudy or rainy days.  I have also observed roof-rats working during the noon hour on a bright sunny mid-summer day, chewing on my Canistel fruits.  Apparently hunger and reduced danger from predators trump nocturnal preference.
Har

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 12:22:10 AM »
Oposseum and Raccoons don't raid the mangos often but it's usually a disaster when they come with many wasted mangos and they are more difficult to trap than the rabbits and squirrels.

I use to get a lot of bird damage from woodpeckers/bluejays/ etc. but meteorites have greatly lowered their population in the neighborhood. Meteorites took out a fair amount of squirrels and rabbits and cages are pretty good to catch most of the other locals.

The rats are too quick for the meteorites to hit them but after just one bite.... they seem to disappear.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
Seems impolite to relocate a squirrel to someone else's neighborhood.  I'd hate to think folks are bringing their trapped rodents to my area. My understanding is that the highest level of existence a squirrel can attain is in a fricassee. I do my best to see that they get there.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »
It is also illegal to transport wildlife without a specific license for that.
Har

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
I used to have a huge rat problem and got rid of them with the rat zapper but last year they came back for a while. Before I got the rat zapper out again, the rats just disappeared all of a sudden. The rats were decimating my Dragonfruit. I went out at night and noticed a medium sized possum and sprayed it with water but it kept coming back and one night I discovered it had babies in some tall weeds in the corner.

I decided to let it live in my backyard even though I’m sure it’s the one that’s been eating my Cherimoyas. Rats eat Cherimoyas also but the damage was different and it only ruined a couple fruit. The possum is still in my yard and last night I was camping in my backyard with my daughters and I heard an annoying squeaking sound and found a couple baby possums. I believe the possum is deterring the rats from coming back.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk