Author Topic: Fruits from Goan Fruitsand  (Read 11148 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Fruits from Goan Fruitsand
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 06:02:00 AM »
Howdy Oscar,
Them fruits you bought, look freak'n awesome 8) Them imported Tamarinds should be the same as the ones i get over here...nice and sweet  ;)

BTW did you hear some Goans speak Portuguese?

Thanks for sharing :)
Haven't heard them speak Portuguese. I think only some of the very well educated class know some Portuguese from colonial times influence.

Hi Oscar,
From a Portuguese tv show , i heard quite a few Goans speaking Portuguese and some very fluently. I wouldn't expect all to speak this, since it ain't their mother tongue.

Hope you are doing the samba in them spice farms ;D from what i have seen on the tele, it's disneyland for us folks :-)

Haven't made it out to spice farms yet, but hope to soon. They are about 90 minute drive from where i', at. Educated Goans speak about 5 different languages, including Portuguese.

90 minute drive in such a gorgeous country...will feel like 5 minutes and there might even have fruit stalls along the road, to make the drive even more worthwhile :)

That's quite impressive of them educated Goans speaking 5 languages 8)...need another two langueses in my pocket, then i got the world covered :-)

I wouldn't be surprised if some Goans also speak a 6th language: Russian. there are huge numbers of Russian tourists here and also some Russians owning businesses in Goa. There are direct flights now from Moscow to Goa, and not surprising many want to escape Moscow winters. A lot of signs and restaurant menus are in English and Russian.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 07:08:06 AM »
Hi Oscar,
Russian in India...Now that's a first for me :o India sure is a melting pot of cultures 8) Since they speak 5 languages...they will surely have Russian covered. Though, it ain't an easy language to understand or learn...had a visit from a Russian couple, Oh boy, i didn't understand nothing, except for one word...Niet, which means no. ;D 
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Fruits from Goan Fruitstand
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »
Today i discovered 2 new fruits at the fruit stand that i had overlooked before. One is a bizarre looking melon. Before i had assumed it was one of those little decorative pumpkins that you see around Thanksgiving time. Turns out is Cobra melon. It smells and tastes similar to honeydew, but is much smaller, about size of a large orange.
The other fruit i guess must be wood apple, Feronia limonia. But it is not round cannonball shaped like the ones i saw before in Cambodia. These are more shaped like a large lemon, but have that hard exterior typical of wood apple.
Pictures coming soon.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
Cool story Sergio. Goa must be a beautiful place. But my guess is that it's maybe not the most interesting destination for fruit junkies like us  ;D

India is not a biodiversity centre, as is Indio-Malaysian peninsula, Borneo, or Brazil. It all depends on why you come here. If you do so just to discover new fruits you will be sadly disappointed. If you come to eat a lot of good fruits, and a lot of other excellent cuisine, at beautiful, serene, friendly environment you will not be disappointed. I would say it's a great place for a family adventure. Very family friendly. No super rare fruits but i would say it's a lot better than Chile in that regards!
PS i've never had Sri Lankan food but the food here is all quite excellent. Made with locally grown spices. Also you can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner for what a meager breakfast would cost in the states. There is a huge array of sea food. Great for sea food lovers, not so great for me as i won't touch the stuff.  :o
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
Cool story Sergio. Goa must be a beautiful place. But my guess is that it's maybe not the most interesting destination for fruit junkies like us  ;D

India is not a biodiversity centre, as is Indio-Malaysian peninsula, Borneo, or Brazil. It all depends on why you come here. If you do so just to discover new fruits you will be sadly disappointed. If you come to eat a lot of good fruits, and a lot of other excellent cuisine, at beautiful, serene, friendly environment you will not be disappointed. I would say it's a great place for a family adventure. Very family friendly. No super rare fruits but i would say it's a lot better than Chile in that regards!
PS i've never had Sri Lankan food but the food here is all quite excellent. Made with locally grown spices. Also you can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner for what a meager breakfast would cost in the states. There is a huge array of sea food. Great for sea food lovers, not so great for me as i won't touch the stuff.  :o

Oscar,

Next time you should make a trip over to Sri Lanka, there is a good Anthony Bourdain No Reservations episode on Sri Lanka (taken recently, after the war ended). I talk to my friend who lived their, and they love their fruits. Everything from Coconut to Blueberries (was told they grow Blueberries in the highlands). Dragon Fruit is the rage over their right now.

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 01:05:50 AM »

Oscar,

Next time you should make a trip over to Sri Lanka, there is a good Anthony Bourdain No Reservations episode on Sri Lanka (taken recently, after the war ended). I talk to my friend who lived their, and they love their fruits. Everything from Coconut to Blueberries (was told they grow Blueberries in the highlands). Dragon Fruit is the rage over their right now.

Sri Lanka is definitely high on my To Go To list. They have more tropicals there than in India, like mangosteen and durian, but it's still not a high tropical fruit diversity area. Might worth it for the Sri Lankan cuisine though. ;)
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk