Author Topic: Started propagating Jackfruit - where to get other varieties in QLD, Aus?  (Read 8917 times)

Treemo

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane/Sunshine Coast, Zone 10ish
    • View Profile
Hello All,

I've started propagating Jackfruit from an existing tree on our property of which I do not know the variety. The fruit has lots of latex and slimy (basically have to swallow the fruit like an oyster) but I do like the flavour. Attached are some photos of the tree (only 2 fruit this year unfortunately), and some of the younger direct-seeded seedlings.

Does anyone share seeds, or sell seeds, of the better varieties in Australia? Figured that spending time propagating may be better achieved by using 'better' cultivars.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Keep your seedlings you can use them as rootstock for grafting better varieties onto. They will make a good rootstock as the "mother" tree seems to be really doing great in your area. Look up TFF member Mike T (Cairns) and his jakfruit threads in here.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
You might want to join us at Brisbane Local Food - make it easier to swap seeds/seedlings/potted trees/scions and so on within QLD. :)

http://brisbanelocalfood.ning.com/forum

Treemo

• View Profile
Keep your seedlings you can use them as rootstock for grafting better varieties onto. They will make a good rootstock as the "mother" tree seems to be really doing great in your area. Look up TFF member Mike T (Cairns) and his jakfruit threads in here.
Hi DimplesLee, thanks for your reply. Searching Jackfruit does tend to get me to Mike T's posts and I've learnt a little so far. The Amber variety looks like a goer.

Tree is obviously older and well-established, the last few years have been difficult to get anything to grow, even seedlings planted nearby to this tree. Too dry during Summer lately (compared to previous years). I enjoy the fruit from it, and I suppose even a fodder crop from the seedlings is a use if I can't get anything.

Treemo

• View Profile
You might want to join us at Brisbane Local Food - make it easier to swap seeds/seedlings/potted trees/scions and so on within QLD. :)

http://brisbanelocalfood.ning.com/forum

Posted there a while ago under my real name but couldn't keep up with Lissa and Elaine. Even went to some of the Caboolture Seed Swaps and gave away some plants and then drifted away.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
I would suggest Daley's - get the grafted ones please not the seedlings :)
Yes - pricey but Turner's also have Jaks but I'm not so sure they have more varieties.
A little scrimping here and there to be able to buy a grafted Daley's jak or two is a good start.
Just take good care of your Daley's potted tree then later on, get scions and graft onto your seedlings.
I do not have a lot of experience grafting plants that bleed latex - but some good threads in here about Artocarpus grafts and members are pretty nice overall so don't be afraid to ask the more experienced ones for advice.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile

:)  and congratulations - was on the mobile earlier - just noticed that your tree seems to be a double rootstock - you did the graft yourself or was it two seedlings that fused together naturally?

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
Is your name a portmanteau of Teemo?

Treemo

• View Profile
I would suggest Daley's - get the grafted ones please not the seedlings :)
Yes - pricey but Turner's also have Jaks but I'm not so sure they have more varieties.
A little scrimping here and there to be able to buy a grafted Daley's jak or two is a good start.
Just take good care of your Daley's potted tree then later on, get scions and graft onto your seedlings.
I do not have a lot of experience grafting plants that bleed latex - but some good threads in here about Artocarpus grafts and members are pretty nice overall so don't be afraid to ask the more experienced ones for advice.
Not a big fan of Daley's. I have my own nursery and I'm never impressed with their quality of root structure or how they lop some of the trees before selling them (the variety of species is impressive). I suppose if I 'had to', I would. Since Jackfruit seem to grow mostly true-to-type, is grafting necessary for a backyarder?

:)  and congratulations - was on the mobile earlier - just noticed that your tree seems to be a double rootstock - you did the graft yourself or was it two seedlings that fused together naturally?
No idea (tree was/is prior existing) though I would call that a bifurcation and poor form that could have been easily corrected when the tree was young. I am 90% sure it's not two trees or two stocks, just structure as the bifurcation is well off the ground and the union doesn't extend down too far.

Is your name a portmanteau of Teemo?
No, I'm emotional about trees.  ;)

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
I don't think Jaks grow true to type. I have a 7 year old Latexless Jak, orangey red flesh, crisp type - seedlings grown from it are now 5 yr old, 4 down to 3 yr old fruiting trees - some are mostly latex-free, somewhat latex-free, and some that reverted to original types, some orange fleshed, some yellow, some mushy slimy, somewhat firm and so on. Even leaf forms vary. :(

Treemo

• View Profile
I don't think Jaks grow true to type. I have a 7 year old Latexless Jak, orangey red flesh, crisp type - seedlings grown from it are now 5 yr old, 4 down to 3 yr old fruiting trees - some are mostly latex-free, somewhat latex-free, and some that reverted to original types, some orange fleshed, some yellow, some mushy slimy, somewhat firm and so on. Even leaf forms vary. :(
You're right. I read something somewhere in a comment but googling and drilling down produced the opposite. Oops.

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/search.php?q=jakfruit

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
Are these in your photos fruiting now or are those photos from a previous time?

Treemo

• View Profile

This the one fruit that is currently on the tree. There was a second much higher up that we knocked off with a bamboo pole early but close to enough to ripe (and I propagated a few more trees off of it which several are breaking the soil now). The one pictured can be touched for checking.

Above average temperatures including the longest run of above 30. Well below average rainfall, basically no wet season this year.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Treemo - LukeTrollope another QLD-based member might be able to help you with improved Jak cultivars.
http://www.helgasnursery.com.au/uploads/4/4/3/5/44351407/helgas_price_list_new.pdf
 :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
All the elite types perhaps 6 or 7 are on private farms in north queensland.The 20 or so varieties in southern queensland and in nurseries generally are not the cream.Amber,berry and a few new ones are really good.My J33 has flowers but the fruit are still a shade below amber in quality if my friends tress are a good guide.

Treemo

• View Profile
All the elite types perhaps 6 or 7 are on private farms in north queensland.The 20 or so varieties in southern queensland and in nurseries generally are not the cream.Amber,berry and a few new ones are really good.My J33 has flowers but the fruit are still a shade below amber in quality if my friends tress are a good guide.
What do you recommend for the cooler areas of the subtropics?

jacobchalissery

• India, Karnataka, Mangalore, Tropical
    • View Profile
    • Mangosteenmaniac
What we have found is that one can stone graft JF. What we have done is to use two week old seedling for root-stock. The graft takes very easily and the plant is ready for field planting in 12 to 14 weeks.
The growth is very rapid.
You should try JF+Chempadak hybrids. Some have very firm flesh with small seeds and probably you could cut small cubes to add to your salad bar.
Regards,
Jacob
S. India

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile

This the one fruit that is currently on the tree. There was a second much higher up that we knocked off with a bamboo pole early but close to enough to ripe (and I propagated a few more trees off of it which several are breaking the soil now). The one pictured can be touched for checking.

Above average temperatures including the longest run of above 30. Well below average rainfall, basically no wet season this year.
Mine flower around the middle of the dry season, June/July, but are usually finished by late November. What I don't cage in strong wire mesh is demolished by Flying Foxes. But by this time of year the fruit are long gone. Apart from Late December, we didn't have a wet season either. It was hotter than usual but on average we get 350 days per year above 30 anyway.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Greentrees nursery at Aspley hypermarket sometimes has grafted Galaxy for sale.
Tropical Fruit World sometimes has a few.
Not much more locally. Fruit Forest Farm up Tully way and Bruno in Ingham graft the good ones. Not easy to get though.
If you are after seeds though, they are fairly easy to get, depending on which type you are after.

Treemo

• View Profile
I'm still propagating from my tree and have 9 more up as seedlings from fruit 1 of 2 this year.

Seeds I would love but no one is offering it seems.

Pulled fruit 2 of 2 tonight and will get a few seeds out of that for propagating.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
I'm still propagating from my tree and have 9 more up as seedlings from fruit 1 of 2 this year.

Seeds I would love but no one is offering it seems.

Pulled fruit 2 of 2 tonight and will get a few seeds out of that for propagating.

you have to start a new topic in Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell and Trade for that - here it's just general questions for where to find and stuff not outright trading and such.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=2.0

And pardon mods - I know no selling here but Treemo there's a black gold available on gumtree:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wishart/miscellaneous-goods/very-sweet-tasty-jackfruit-and-chempedak-cross-black-gold-/1107244761

And ads for jackfruit available within QLD:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-qld/jackfruit+trees/k0l3008841

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:55:49 AM by DimplesLee »

Treemo

• View Profile
That's just fruit though, right?

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
He's got fruit still on the tree - so he has a tree  :)
If there's one thing I learned from buying gardening supplies and plants thru gumtree - fellow gardeners are quite generous and will let you take scions for free as long as you ask nicely.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile

And pardon mods - I know no selling here but Treemo there's a black gold available on gumtree:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wishart/miscellaneous-goods/very-sweet-tasty-jackfruit-and-chempedak-cross-black-gold-/1107244761

And ads for jackfruit available within QLD:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-qld/jackfruit+trees/k0l3008841

I would not bother with unknown parent jackfruit seedling, but jackfruit and chempedak cross looks very promising.  I would plant good number of seedlings and select few strongest of crosses (chempajacks ). I noticed chempajacks also inherits one of the worst chempedak characteristics known "sudden death syndrome" very prevalent in most chempedak strains. Meaning plant grows fine for few months or a year and than suddenly perishes for no apparent reason. Even better if you have grafting skills, cut the top after seedlings pushes some growth, and graft on a true jackfruit seedling.

On a second note, did anyone taste varieties advertised by Daleys?  Tyagarah Vanilla variety sounds especially appetizing. BTW, it is available now for a very short time I guess. I would grab it without thinking if I were in Australia.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
You can take a day tour of John and Lyndall Picone's farm in Tyagarah NSW and go on a sampling adventure of their various jackfruit crosses :) if I remember correctly its $20 (Oz) per person for the whole afternoon. They've got a lot of other exotic fruit trees, vege, herbs and such in their collection - visitors are allowed to eyeball the whole farm and eat whatever is available - ripe pickings. Not sure if they can help you ship seeds / seedlings out of Australia but you can probably ask they're very nice people. :) Took a tour of the Picone Farm a year or so ago if I remember correctly they have about 200+ kinds of fruit trees on their property - not counting their own crosses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk