Author Topic: Fruit bags  (Read 1513 times)

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
Fruit bags
« on: September 06, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »
Hi, recently I started to put bags on my growing Atemoya fruits.  Every day 1-3 fruits drop. I am hoping it is just natural fruit thinning.  But could the bags be the reason for the drops?  Should I take the bags off?

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit bags
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 02:53:50 PM »
It looks like you have a very young teee. The drop seems natural.
In my experience, bags do not cause fruit to drop.
Zone Pusher

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 05:05:10 PM »
I have not noticed any correlation with bagging fruit and increased fruit drop. Your tree is very small so I would not expect it to hold too much fruit. It’s better to let it get a little bigger before pushing it to hold a lot of fruit.

Simon

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 06:08:46 PM »
Thanks. I also bags fruits on my sister's Atemoya tree. Hers is about 2 years in the grown, and twice the size of this one. It has about 100+ fruits. I manually thin hers down to like 60 fruits.  I still think it's too much. Hers also drop. I didn't want her to blame me cuz of the bags :D  I told her she has too man fruits. It is already Sept, and her biggest fruit is the size of an olive.  My new Atemoya tree plants 6 months ago only has like 10 fruits or so, but some of them are the size of a baseball.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 06:50:17 PM »
At 2 years in ground, 60 is too many fruit.

Don't judge this year's fruit, wait until the tree is established.

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.  My sis and mom don't want to waste fruit. Want more more more, don't care about the size of the fruit.

For my 2 trees, I didn't expected any fruit first year, but for now, I am happy to if I can keep about 10-20 fruits between the 2 trees by the time Chinese New Year come next year (Atemoya sells for 10.00+ a lb during that time).

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 08:01:59 PM »
Thanks for the info.  My sis and mom don't want to waste fruit. Want more more more, don't care about the size of the fruit.

For my 2 trees, I didn't expected any fruit first year, but for now, I am happy to if I can keep about 10-20 fruits between the 2 trees by the time Chinese New Year come next year (Atemoya sells for 10.00+ a lb during that time).

Size is one part of it, but tss (sweetness), flesh to seed ratio, and other factors in overall quality of fruit will suffer. If they are looking to sell them, I can't imagine there's a market for marginal examples of the fruit let alone poor examples which lack size, sweetness, and edible flesh.

I may be culturally biased, but I find difficulty imagining anyone seeking out a golf ball sized seedy atemoya.

In my culturally biased opinion, the runt fruit are more of a waste.

Still though, fruit bags are not a factor in the dropping of fruit, the tree is doing this in response to the overburden placed on it.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 09:21:06 AM »
I do not bag my geffner or other annona, only guava get that treatment to prevent fruit flies.

Have you had a problem with seed borers where you are?
Regards,

Gary

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »
I have some minor issues with ants and scales on some leaves and fruit. But yah, my bro in law's atemoya trees (7yrs+), he doesn't bag them or anything.  I guess I am a newbie, and want to be more cautious.  Probably won't bag them next year :D

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 02:53:53 PM »

Size is one part of it, but tss (sweetness), flesh to seed ratio, and other factors in overall quality of fruit will suffer. If they are looking to sell them, I can't imagine there's a market for marginal examples of the fruit let alone poor examples which lack size, sweetness, and edible flesh.

I may be culturally biased, but I find difficulty imagining anyone seeking out a golf ball sized seedy atemoya.

In my culturally biased opinion, the runt fruit are more of a waste.

Still though, fruit bags are not a factor in the dropping of fruit, the tree is doing this in response to the overburden placed on it.

Thanks for the info. This is the first year with friut. We'll see how it taste.  First time hand pollinated these.  I know that too much or too little pollen can affect the quality/number of seeds.  live and learn.

Well, after this season, maybe my mom and sis will care more about size/quality than quantity since I think these won't grow large enough or at all.