Author Topic: Anyone Growing Oroblanco?  (Read 1221 times)

Marj

• Savannah, GA, 8B
    • View Profile
Anyone Growing Oroblanco?
« on: February 12, 2019, 06:05:51 PM »
I'm interested in trying Oroblanco fruit if anyone can send me one or two. I'll pay you for the postage. Or if you are growing this variety, when does the fruit ripen in your area and what do you think of its flavor and how well does it hold on the tree? All opinions welcome!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Growing Oroblanco?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 06:11:50 PM »
Is this Marj, who did such an excellent job running the Savannah Citrus Expo?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 07:31:17 PM »
what do you think of its flavor ?
They are sweet, good to very good flavor, much less bitterness than other common grapefruit varieties.
Even people who normally don't like grapefruit sometimes think Oroblanco is okay when they sample it.
Has few seeds, a fair number of the seeds are very tiny and shrivelled up.

The only slight downside I would say is it seems to me is it has a little bit less intensity of grapefruit aroma than normal grapefruits. The flavor is sweet and somewhat mild, a little bit less acid and tart.

Marj

• Savannah, GA, 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:58:58 PM »
Thanks, this is helpful. I have such limited space and want to pick the most interesting varieties for the few I can put inground.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:03:30 PM »
If you have limited space, it's a good variety to have.

I don't know about rare though, there are a lot of people in Southern California with an Oroblanco in their yard.

Oroblanco is known to be a bit hardier than other grapefruits, though I don't know if it's as hardy as its parent, Duncan (one of its parents).
Still, I don't know if it's going to be able to survive outside for you where you are. (presuming you'll be using some protection)
I'd guess it probably isn't going to be able to survive in the open with anything less than 9b.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:08:35 PM by SoCal2warm »