Author Topic: Cashew Apple Juice  (Read 8201 times)

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Re: Cashew Apple Juice
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
I saw that article earlier.  With the citrus blight, I knew they would be looking for some other fruit for juice.  It is great if they can actually make this work.  I like the taste of the fresh juice.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »
I saw that article earlier.  With the citrus blight, I knew they would be looking for some other fruit for juice.  It is great if they can actually make this work.  I like the taste of the fresh juice.

I would love to try it myself.  Do you make the juice yourself?

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 03:35:52 PM »
If you have  cashew apples in your garden and you are removing them when ripe for juice, you should remove the fruit before the sun hits the fruit. Cashew fruit is  rich in tanin, the content which increases on exposure of fruit to sun. That is what I have noticed on the taste of the juice.
                                                                       mangaba

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 03:49:24 PM »
I'd love to try it.

Does anyone know if the juice would react to those with a cashew nut allergy?
I would assume so, but . . .

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »

I would love to try it myself.  Do you make the juice yourself?

Yes, I just squeezed the fresh cashew fruits.  They were very fresh off the tree, so I didn't notice much  astringency.  I added some water and a tiny bit of sugar. 

mangaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »
If you press fresh fruit you get a whitish juice which is tasty and  has quite an amount of sugar. It ferments quite fast. By distilling the fermented juice , there are distilleries in Goa. India which  manufacture Cashew  Urak or Fenil (Dostillate). In Brazil you can buy industrialized  cashew juice concentrate or in tetrapack cartons.

Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY6Qlm7Q3PI
 Prudent Media Contacto Goa 29 April 12 Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrqllGfGoOw
                                                                                                               mangaba

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
I always thought the cashew fruit was toxic....

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »

From what I have been led to believe, the nut is toxic unless roasted properly or the fumes from the roasting process can be toxic.  The cashew apple, by actual definition according to what I have read, a swollen peduncle (I love saying that) is not toxic.  It can be quite astringent though.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »

From what I have been led to believe, the nut is toxic unless roasted properly or the fumes from the roasting process can be toxic.  The cashew apple, by actual definition according to what I have read, a swollen peduncle (I love saying that) is not toxic.  It can be quite astringent though.

Sounds like a symptom of the plague, really...

Have you tried the fruit? Thought about growing cashew, but I have limited space and am unsure about the yield, might not be worth it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:17:10 PM by starling1 »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 10:52:37 PM »
This is one fruit I won't be growing. I am highly allergic to urushiol, I noticed in the last 5 years I have become more sensitive to cashew nuts. One time I was eating some cashew nuts, and it may have had trace amounts of urushiol oil possibly from the sap. I started to break out around the chest and my throat started to feel inflamed. Luckily I only had a chest hive rash to a mango, where I ate part of the skin by accident which could of had some sap on it.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »
Sounds like a symptom of the plague, really...

Have you tried the fruit? Thought about growing cashew, but I have limited space and am unsure about the yield, might not be worth it.

I have tried the fruit.  For me the reason to grow cashew is the cashew nut.....not the peduncle, swollen or otherwise.  For those that practice the waste not want not method of existence, the juice from the fruit, if you add the proper ingredients (mostly sugar) tastes like a nice drink.  I'm not a big fan of juices where you have to add so much to it to get it to be drinkable.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangaba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 09:09:37 AM »

[/quote]
      What is toxic is the skin  covering the nut which has a caustic oil. If you burn the whole nut under controlled conditions (roast) you can retrieve the nut.

Regarding the juice: If you just press the ripe fresh fruit, you get a  whitish semi transparent juice, quite high in sugar contents which ferments and can be distilled.  If you put some fresh fruit and some water in a blender (Osterizer)  and then filter you get juice to which you have to add sugar . The second type is sold industrially.
                                                                                             mangaba

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »
This is one fruit I won't be growing. I am highly allergic to urushiol, I noticed in the last 5 years I have become more sensitive to cashew nuts. One time I was eating some cashew nuts, and it may have had trace amounts of urushiol oil possibly from the sap. I started to break out around the chest and my throat started to feel inflamed. Luckily I only had a chest hive rash to a mango, where I ate part of the skin by accident which could of had some sap on it.

My son, Mr. Caimito, is pretty allergic to cashews too (determined just from experience) so don't think he'll be trying any cashew juice :D
I would like to give it a whirl sometime though.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »

What is toxic is the skin  covering the nut which has a caustic oil. If you burn the whole nut under controlled conditions (roast) you can retrieve the nut.

Regarding the juice: If you just press the ripe fresh fruit, you get a  whitish semi transparent juice, quite high in sugar contents which ferments and can be distilled.  If you put some fresh fruit and some water in a blender (Osterizer)  and then filter you get juice to which you have to add sugar . The second type is sold industrially.
                                                                                             mangaba
[/quote]

Great  Information.  Thanks

Here is something I found on wikipedia on making FENI 

Cashew feni

In the traditional method of making cashew feni, only tree ripened cashew apples that have fallen are picked and taken for the crush. The cashew apples are de-seeded and then dropped into the stomping area. This area is called a "colmbi" and is a usually a rock cut into a basin shape. The cashew apples are stomped to release the juice. Stomping has now gradually been replaced by the use of a press called a pingre (cage). The pulp is then hand-pattied into small mounds traditionally using a particular vine, nudi, which is snaked around it to hold it together while a heavy weight (typically a boulder) is placed on top. The juice produced through this process is known as neero, and is refreshing to drink. The fresh neero is traditionally in a large earthen pot called a kodem, which is buried halfway in the ground and left while the juice ferments for several days. Delicate earthen kodem have now been replaced by plastic drums for the sake of practicality. The juice is then allowed to sit for three days as it ferments. No artificial yeast or nutrients are added to hasten the process.

Cashew feni is distilled employing the traditional pot still. A traditional distilling feni still is known as a bhatti. The use of an earthen pot as the boiling pot has now been replaced with copper pots, both known by the same name bhann. The distillate is collected in an earthen pot called a launni. The tradition of cold water being continuously poured on the launni to condense the distillate has now been replaced by immersing a coil in cold water.

Cashew feni is a triple distilled spirit. The first distillate of the fermented neero is known as urrak, about 15% alcohol (30 proof). Urrack is then mixed with neero in a proportion determined by the distiller, and redistilled to give a spirit called "cazulo" 40-42% alc v/v. Cazulo is again distilled with urrack to give a high strength spirit called Feni 45% Alc v/v. Note: Cazulo is generally sold as "Feni" as Feni is considered too strong an alcohol for consumption. All cashew feni now available is double distilled.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 11:28:18 PM »
I have found the fruit part of the cashew to be surprisingly delicious with a unique tart & sweet taste kick.

The tricky part for me is, to produce or find a tree of a variety with fruit that's larger than the standard/average size, like that sometimes seen in the fruit markets.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »

I had a chance to taste these on a recent trip to PR. They were very delicious, much better than the reds or yellows. No sugar necessary IMO, just bite the peel and suck the juice out.
Life is good

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »
Here's how the cajś apple is processed into juice...the secret to clear cajś juice is gelatin. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjkw1rcZT7g
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

mangaba

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »
Two additional treats you can make of cashew apple:

1. Cashew Apples in sugar syrup:
                                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkfKlaopZgM

2. Passa de Caju:
                              Ripe cashew apples are pricked with a fork or tooth pick and pressed to remove the juice .The pressed  and drained  fruit is next  cooked  with equal weight of  sugar under slow fire for a long time until the syrup darkens.  The fruit is then  dried in the sun for 4-5 days  and can be stored for months.  Appearance of Passa is that of dried prunes.
                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYiiX6LyjCA
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0kPhh0gPs

Bon apetit
                                                                                                                                        mangaba

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 01:38:29 AM »
Cashew apple juice is very popular in Brazil and can be found in almost any store. I was surprised by how really good it is. In fact it tastes very similar to apple juice. It doesn't have sugar added, and it is not at all astringent. From what i was told in Brazil, the cashews grown for juice are one type selection, and the ones grown for good nuts are different selections. And there are almost none that have both very good nut and very good juice (non astringent).
Even in just two trees i have i notice a very big difference in astringency of fruits. The bigger red type i have has low astringency, and smaller yellow type is much more astringent.

The little black dots are anthracnose, to which cashew apple is susceptible, just like mango. So like mango it does better in drier climates. The red cashew apples can get very large:

I doubt there is much urushiol in the cashew apple. A much bigger problem for those  wanting to grow it and allergic to urushiol would be to accidentally rub up against the cashew tree or a branch.
In Goa, India i got to see how Feni (cashew apple alcohol) is distilled, and ofcourse i had to try it. Was actually quite good. So the cashew tree is a very versatile tree: nuts, fruit juice, and distilled alcohol.
Oscar

mangaba

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
Oscar
            An industrialist from Goa in the 1950“s sent a sample for analysis  of FENI  to a lab in Holland. They wrote back saying that the best in Feni is the smell  of the liquor !
                                                                   mangaba

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »
Does anyone know if the dwarf cashew tree is ether a good fruit (marańon) selection or good nut selection?
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt