Author Topic: My mist tent to recover bare root plants  (Read 3713 times)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
My mist tent to recover bare root plants
« on: August 30, 2014, 05:15:47 PM »
Have a bunch of new stuff from Puerto Rico. The only things that were bare rooted were two quenepa's. They seemed to not handle that well. Dropped every leaf. I'm thinking they will recover fine eventually though.
The grafted rambutan was not bare rooted but for some reason all of the leaves turned crunchy in transit and have since dropped. A little more concerned about this one since I don't know why it handled the shipping so poorly. It does have a new shoot popping out just above the graft though.
Surprisingly the durians came through the trip looking perfect. Just have them in the tent to hopefully give the grafts a better chance of taking. One graft is actually pushing leaves already but i am assuming this is just from stored energy in the scion since it has only been a little over a week since the graft was done.

I have a little $5 ultrasonic fogger that turns on for 30 mins every 2 hrs. Seems to keep the humidity really high. I'm hoping this works better than just bagging everything.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:24:15 PM by Jsvand5 »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: My mist tent to recover bare root plants
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »
Wow, nice job!  Thanks for sharing.  I assume you air it out once in while?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:31 PM »
Nice job JSVand,
pretty awesome if the durian grafts take!

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
One of my quenepa's is down to about 50% leaves, the other probably lost 25%.  I think the packages must have sat out in extreme high temps to be in such sorry condition after only 3 days of travel in soil. 

Your mist house has me searching for equipment to build a larger version.
Brandon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
One of my quenepa's is down to about 50% leaves, the other probably lost 25%.  I think the packages must have sat out in extreme high temps to be in such sorry condition after only 3 days of travel in soil. 

I've had bare rooted spanish limes mailed to me on a few occasions and they seem to always lose a majority of their leaves but they recover quickly if kept in very high humidity. I used to cover them with a clear plastic bag in the shade for a few weeks and then gradually cut holes in the bag to acclimate the tree to the humidity outside.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »

Those little foggers work amazingly well. Can't beat it for $5. I have a little computer fan in there to move some air around too. I would bet if you used 2 or three it would do a good job on a much bigger green house.

Must be heat I guess with the plants. Maybe they sat out in the sun at some point in the trip.  I'm sure they will come around. Was really surprised the rambutan took the trip so poorly. The soil was moist and I had tape over the pot to keep the soil from getting disturbed but I guess that didn't help.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:50:29 PM by Jsvand5 »

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
I think Jay's Rambutan did the same on transit.  But I think he says his is doing better now.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 08:01:53 PM »
Yeah...died way back after dropping every single leaf.  Of course, if I were a plant that just went thru the shipping ordeal this one did, I would most likely drop all my leaves too!  My box was completely flattened and bent almost in two.  If the plant had been a little more mature with stiffer branches, it would not have made it intact.  Love the USPS.  Could luck John.  Hope each plant comes round.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
ya, how are you keeping the tent from turning into a mold farm?

Looks like slick way to get humitiy.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »
Never had a problem with mold unless the plants are dead. It dries out slightly during the periods when the fogger is off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk