Author Topic: Need help with Annonas.  (Read 1870 times)

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Need help with Annonas.
« on: August 08, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
I bought the Phet Pak Chong and Geffner last year and planted them in the ground in September/October.  They seemed to be doing okay but did not come back very well this year. I did not prune any of the branches in the hopes that they were just off to a slow start but it is already August and they barely have any leaves. You can see the branch 'skeletons' from last year. What can I do to help them along? These are planted on the west side of the house and get sun from around 11am to sunset. Too hot, maybe?

Phet Pak Chong

Phet Pak Chong (different angle)

Geffner

I got this Annona from someone. Not sure what kind it is. It had branches on what would be the left side of the photo. Unfortunately, someone from a tree trimming crew who was working in my back yard was dragging a huge branch to the front yard and got it ensnared with this plant and broke all the branches on that side of the tree. This tree is planted on the east side of my house and only gets morning and early afternoon sun. Need pruning advice so I can get it to branch again.

Mystery annona

Have some sugar apple seeds I want to plant, does anyone know if the 'Big Red' variety comes true from seed. Or is this one, I am better of getting as a grafted tree?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:13:51 PM by Jackson »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on Annonas.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »
Are you fertilizing the trees at all? I planted my trees and added
potting mix which includes compost and some rabbit manure. The trees love
organic material and fertilizer. I grow mine in full sun and I have a thick ring of mulch
around them and I keep adding compost, coffee grounds, various manures, the more the better.
Also hit them with fertilizer and balanced fertlizer with micros they are not picky

The  annonas really respond to pruning also. I would cut the dead branches out from the
first two pictures and the larger annona I would stake upright and cut the tips off all the branches
and get the tree to spread out.  You may even want to cut a foot or two off the top center branch
as well. If the tree is being fed it will respond to pruning.

I noticed the mulch looks good around the larger annona that is how my mulch looks but it's a wider
circle and the dirt is black from organics.

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 12:02:38 PM »
I mixed plenty of compost into the soil when I planted the trees. I fertilize and use seaweed foliar spray. I mulch heavily but I removed the mulch from these two trees because I was going to move them to the same side of the house as my other annonas that are doing much better. Then I thought of getting some feedback here before I did that.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:42:58 PM »
I mixed plenty of compost into the soil when I planted the trees. I fertilize and use seaweed foliar spray. I mulch heavily but I removed the mulch from these two trees because I was going to move them to the same side of the house as my other annonas that are doing much better. Then I thought of getting some feedback here before I did that.
What fertlizier are you using?

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Annonas.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »
I use a combination of fertilizers. CitrusTone or HollyTone (short term) and Osmocote or CitrusGain (long term). I have not fertilized the trees since the end of May because the county has a fertilizer ban in place from June 1 - Sept 30.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »
I use a combination of fertilizers. CitrusTone or HollyTone (short term) and Osmocote or CitrusGain (long term). I have not fertilized the trees since the end of May because the county has a fertilizer ban in place from June 1 - Sept 30.

I would give the tree osmocote or another slow release on May 31st.
I would give them a 365 day slow release which should get you 6 months
in Florida. Your trees need fed and they will respond.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 12:10:09 AM »
Do sugar apples like acidic soil?

,William

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 10:31:16 AM »
They look deficient in Calcium.  Fertilize with Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate), a lot of it, spread to twice the radius of the canopy.  Then continue adding gypsum when you add other fertilizers.
Har

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 12:05:41 PM »
Acheta - I used a 8-9 month Osmocote during the last week of May. I figured that would take care of the trees through end of September. Do you fertilize annonas in October?  I don't know if I should considering they will soon be going dormant.

Har -  I will add gypsum.
Also, thanks for your help in picking mango trees at Truly Tropical as well as all the advice you gave. The trees are growing well.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »

Heres 3 pictures of my sugarlata seedling. It is 3 years old and has 6 fruit on it.
I also added a picture of the area under the tree. Annonas grow real easy in my yard.
I have never added gypsum. I use different manures and this year I have been
using 8-4-8 diamond R fertilizer. It's amazing how much all my annonas are growing
this year. October is getting close to when my trees go dormant. I would still trim the dead
branches out and give the trees some miracle grow drench. I live in a county where there is no
fertilizer ban. I think the gulf courses and the condos are the problem not a guy that wants a couple
fruit trees to grow? This time of the year I give very small amounts of fertilizer often with the rains.
I usually don't use foliar spray on the annonas cause the leaves seem to repel the spray.
You could also spray the leaves with Miracle grow if you don't want to drench.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 10:44:37 PM »
Acheta,

So what is known about Annona species'/hybrids' resistence/susceptibility to soil-borne pathogens, including nematodes?

I have sandy soil that drains very well here in Tampa, zone 9b.  But I still keep my Annonas in pots in case of an unexpected cold snap.

Paul M.
==

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »
Acheta,

So what is known about Annona species'/hybrids' resistence/susceptibility to soil-borne pathogens, including nematodes?

I have sandy soil that drains very well here in Tampa, zone 9b.  But I still keep my Annonas in pots in case of an unexpected cold snap.

Paul M.
==
I never have had an issue with nematodes? I have had issues with fig trees but I
add allot of organics to my trees and the good nematodes that eat the root eating nematodes
thrive in organic material. I have 2 sugarlatas. One I left in a pot until recently which is
3 feet after a growth spurt. The other is one I planted in the ground last year which
is the pictures I included. The trees really take off in the ground? I am in 9b in the
very southern part of 9b and usually stay above 30F. It can get cold here and one day
it will happen. Most of the annonas grow back if the exposure is brief. I also water heavy
the day before the cold and I stock a big supply of mulch which I would put around the
trunks. I haven't had to add mulch but I do water heavy the day before if it will be in
the 30s. If we were going to be in the low to mid 20s I would be scrambling. One other thing
you can consider is planting in a more protected area like the Southern side of your house.

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 11:41:49 AM »

Heres 3 pictures of my sugarlata seedling. It is 3 years old and has 6 fruit on it.
I also added a picture of the area under the tree. Annonas grow real easy in my yard.
I have never added gypsum. I use different manures and this year I have been
using 8-4-8 diamond R fertilizer. It's amazing how much all my annonas are growing
this year. October is getting close to when my trees go dormant. I would still trim the dead
branches out and give the trees some miracle grow drench. I live in a county where there is no
fertilizer ban. I think the gulf courses and the condos are the problem not a guy that wants a couple
fruit trees to grow? This time of the year I give very small amounts of fertilizer often with the rains.
I usually don't use foliar spray on the annonas cause the leaves seem to repel the spray.
You could also spray the leaves with Miracle grow if you don't want to drench.

What application rate are you using for the diamond R fertilizer? I have their 12-4-12 formula (label below) but it doesn't have any instructions on the bag and I don't want to overdose my trees.