Author Topic: Is there enough time left for 1 mango tipping?  (Read 1515 times)

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
Is there enough time left for 1 mango tipping?
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »
Hi all. I have a mango seedling that have been flushing at a rate of one flush per month since june (i think 4 flushes).

It reached the height where i want to make the tipping to trigger scaffold branches.
I want to make it now to win a last useful flush (instead of eventually having another vertical flush that will be cut anyway).
Besides, having a fresh flush late in the season will avoid the risk of having flower panicles next january (last year the seedling had 2 small fruitlets at a height of only one foot, and 3 years age).
What i am asking is the following : Is there a risk of doing the tipping now (we will have at least one month of warm weather - october)
Does the fact that it has been flushing since june makes it in a situation of running with an empty tank now, with the risk of having weak lateral flushes if i tip it? (i have been fertilizing it regularly).
Is it safer to let it rest and tip in january?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Is there enough time left for 1 mango tipping?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 07:36:38 PM »
You don't have much to tip there. Wait until next year. You are at same latitude as Virginia in the USA where one could never grow mangoes outside. You have the warmth but less sunlight and fewer sunlight hours during the summer growing season than mango growers in Miami, much closer to the equator.

Very nice looking tree with plenty of time to tip prune in 2020.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:10:58 PM by zands »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »
You don't have much to tip there. Wait until next year. You are at same latitude as Virginia in the USA where one could never grow mangoes outside. You have the warmth but less sunlight and fewer sunlight hours than mango growers in Miami, much closer to the equator.

30 lat for me.  I tipped about a month ago and got a big flush. Will not tip anymore.  Would think his tree is shutting down for the winter now so tipping will have no effect until the spring flush.

BTW Zands, left you my phone # to discuss your irrigation questions.  Too much hassle to do it via text for me.

Mark

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »
You don't have much to tip there. Wait until next year. You are at same latitude as Virginia in the USA where one could never grow mangoes outside. You have the warmth but less sunlight and fewer sunlight hours than mango growers in Miami, much closer to the equator.

30 lat for me.  I tipped about a month ago and got a big flush. Will not tip anymore.  Would think his tree is shutting down for the winter now so tipping will have no effect until the spring flush.

BTW Zands, left you my phone # to discuss your irrigation questions.  Too much hassle to do it via text for me.

Mark

This is not me about any irrigation questions. Must be another forum member/  Your wine grape plantings are awesome and hope you do great with them next season which is next year 2020 maga DT!

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 07:39:31 PM »
I think the tree is too small for tipping. Wait for next year.

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 01:30:07 AM »
Thank you guys, i will wait for next february/march then.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »
You don't have much to tip there. Wait until next year. You are at same latitude as Virginia in the USA where one could never grow mangoes outside. You have the warmth but less sunlight and fewer sunlight hours during the summer growing season than mango growers in Miami, much closer to the equator.

According to Suncalc.org Shinzo may be getting more "Daylight" than West Palm Beach in the summer. How does that make sense? I had checked for June/July and August.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 01:08:40 PM »

According to Suncalc.org Shinzo may be getting more "Daylight" than West Palm Beach in the summer. How does that make sense? I had checked for June/July and August.

Its sunny all day and night in Alaska during summer. 
Brad Spaugh

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 10:21:56 PM »

Its sunny all day and night in Alaska during summer.

Right, so what is the deal then? Tunisia's summers are also as warm if not warmer... Is it the rain/humidity?