Author Topic: Top tier selections of Opuntia sp. Waiting list. Please post under here for add.  (Read 32859 times)

texas_girl

• Started my Fruit Collection in 2015
    • Texas
    • View Profile
Hello,
I would like to be added to the list also for one Pad from all the Opuntia you have and also for the two different kinds you have new when you have them available.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Did you obtain Torrance PCH from publicly available sources (e.g. a vacant lot)? Or did you cultivate it yourself? I work in Torrance, not far from PCH :D so I'd be interested in a drive-by if you could share the location. I'm interested in getting some red-fleshed Opuntias if they taste good.

Its on a steep side of a hill off PCH on the east side of the road right before Calle mayor.

Those who want pads I will update you soon.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Those who want pads I will update you soon.

sorry forgot to post before. Please put me on the list :)
- Mark

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I would love to get Brix readings from all these Opuntia selections. Nullzero, do you know which selection of Opuntia currently has the highest Brix levels? I remember you mentioned that PARL selections were selected to have Brix greater than 12%. I went back to this thread http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3935.50. and one selection I found had a Brix of 15% and another had Brix of 17% so I wonder if there are other varieties that are even higher? I tasted several green skinned fruit from the Mira Mesa farmers market that were very sweet but I did not have a refractometer back then. I will go back in Spring to see if the Green skinned Tunas are still available.

Nullzero, I believe that Fruit you collect from the mother trees on your expeditions may taste better tgan the same fruit when cultivated in our yards because the mother plants are older, fully established and I'm guessing they are rarely if ever watered. Many of us as gardeners tend to overwater our plants, especially when they are holding fruit, in order to pump them up to a large size but this can dilute the flavor and sugars. I withhold water to my Dragonfruit plants for 1-2 weeks, depending on weather, before I harvest and I notice an increase in Brix of roughly 2%.

I'm issueing an Amber Alert for the Opuntia fruit with the highest Brix! If I am able to find that super sweet green skinned fruit at the farmers market, I will as the seller if they are willing to sell me a pad or ten. I believe there will be much interest for the sweetest Opuntia fruit! BTW, the super sweet green skinned fruit had very hard seeds, similar to guava but it was so sweet that it's totally worth it. I'll keep everyone updated and thanks to Nullzero for getting me interested in this under appreciated drought tolerant medicinal fruit!

Simon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
This year I may start trying to graft the Torrance PCH#1, because of the high demand. I have like 8 people in this thread that want a pad. Then another 5 or so in PMs and more in the email. So I think the best way may be to graft the plants for the upcoming year. I will update how the process goes. I will only have limited pads available earlier this year starting in June.

I am going to work through the list and see who has PMed me earlier about it and also posted earlier in this thread. Those who are in line first will get the 3-5 pads that I will have available. The rest will have to wait until the clone plant gains mass or the grafting test works out.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Please put me on the waiting list for
Torrance,
Visalia and
Jeronimo.
Thanks!
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I'm curious -- are there any selections that don't have glochids on the fruits?  (Maybe that's wishful thinking...)

FLTropical

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Null,

Can you please add me to th list for a Torrence?

Thanks,
Keith

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Simon, would you be interested in non-opuntia cactus fruit? A friend from Oceanside gave me a few pads of his good juicing cactus fruit with clear juice but long spines. The plant was actually pretty good looking. I dont have a brix meter and haven't had fruits from it yet.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Simon, would you be interested in non-opuntia cactus fruit? A friend from Oceanside gave me a few pads of his good juicing cactus fruit with clear juice but long spines. The plant was actually pretty good looking. I dont have a brix meter and haven't had fruits from it yet.

Sounds interesting I wonder what genus and species it is. It's not a columnar cactus? Maybe a Cylindropuntia sp?

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
Could you please put me in the list, too? thank you
Daniel

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile

Sounds interesting I wonder what genus and species it is. It's not a columnar cactus? Maybe a Cylindropuntia sp?

It's a pad cactus but rounder and with scary long thorns. Not sure about glochids. I still don't have fruits yet and haven't planted it in a pot. I should just pot them up so they might start growing.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile

It's a pad cactus but rounder and with scary long thorns. Not sure about glochids. I still don't have fruits yet and haven't planted it in a pot. I should just pot them up so they might start growing.

I would be interested in a pad sometime in the future if you can spare. Would love to see pictures, sounds really interesting Fang.

Paulish

• US, CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
Interested in being added to the list. Particularly spineless varieties but anything with great flavor and high brix. A couple of each or however many you can spare to start. Thanks

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
any updates on this? Would love to be put on the list for some pads from your collection.

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
I would also like to be put on the list for any of these interesting varieties.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:31:01 PM by markinnaples »

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Interested in various pads whenever available. Message me if  or when your ready.
Trying to grow it all!

sunsetcat

• CA Bay Area 9B
    • View Profile
Interested, pm me when available! Particularly interested in the varieties with small seeds/seeds ones that can be broken down by chewing

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
tuna pads please =)

AZ-Tropics

• Chandler
    • View Profile
Hello all..  I'm a fruit grower here in the Phoenix, AZ area..

I got a pad of prickly pear "PCH#1" from a local buddy, and it's finally fruited this year.  I have attached a picture of the fruit.

I suspect it's a bit early. There aren't too many seeds, and they're hard. Based on the descriptions I've read, this almost seems like it might be "Visalia Yellow". It has a melon kind of flavor, and it's yellow.

Opinions for those that grow PCH#1 and/or Visalia Yellow, which does this fruit look like?   :D

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
According to the original post-

Opuntia sp: Torrance PCH#1
Large red fruit with red interior. Excellent sweet flavor with subtle watermelon taste. Soft small seeds that can be broken down by teeth. Low spreading growth habit. Fruit resistant to rotting due to moisture/humidity. Fruit holds on plant for months through the winter, while maintaining great eating qualities. Production moderate to low.

It would seem yours are not red fruited, and thus probably not this variety-

I have a few pads from Jonah and will report back on the eventual fruit

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
I've gotta confess that I have never had a prickly pear fruit before. There are a couple unknown fruiting varieties in my family's backyard but I have always let them go to waste. Are cultivated varieties on par with the taste of dragon fruit? How do they compare? Seems like a no brainer that I should probably search out named cultivars since I live in PHX

D-Grower

• View Profile
Add me to the list of waiters. Thanks
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• View Profile
I've gotta confess that I have never had a prickly pear fruit before. There are a couple unknown fruiting varieties in my family's backyard but I have always let them go to waste. Are cultivated varieties on par with the taste of dragon fruit? How do they compare? Seems like a no brainer that I should probably search out named cultivars since I live in PHX

Opuntia fruits are awesome! Most are pretty damn good. Yellow dragon fruit is the closest I've had to the taste of them. Dragon fruit like the red ones from the store doesn't even come close to their goodness. Many of the opuntia fruit have notes of melon like honeydew or cantaloupe. Great all around but usually seedy but I don't care about that myself.
Trying to grow it all!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
never had the selected varieties but even the wild fruits are pretty tasty-

also a 0 maintenance plant-

they are seedy but I just suck all the pulp out and then spit the seeds- other people are fans of making juice