Author Topic: Jaboticaba as a houseplant?  (Read 1907 times)

BenG

• Menlo Park, California (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba as a houseplant?
« on: December 27, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »
Can I keep one in a container? Also, how reputable is the Amazon/Ebay/Etsy seller Ninewaters?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba as a houseplant?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 07:44:14 PM »
Can I keep one in a container? Also, how reputable is the Amazon/Ebay/Etsy seller Ninewaters?

I got 2 real nice M. strigipes from 9 waters this year. Packed real well also.

I would get red or escarlate if you want to keep in a pot
I think red is easier to grow Escarlate needs lower ph

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
I agree... my reds grow well in a container.

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:34:50 PM by Kevin Jones »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 08:16:02 PM »
Based on the title of this thread, it wont be very good as a houseplant for more than a short period of time.
- Rob

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »
I have seen other people on this forum keep them in the house no problem. Keeping the right humidity is key. Red jaboticaba is a nice choice. Sabara would work, but takes wayyyyy to long to fruit. Jaboticaba fruit well in containers and sometimes is better than being in ground as they like acidic soil.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 09:27:54 PM »
I have seen other people on this forum keep them in the house no problem. Keeping the right humidity is key. Red jaboticaba is a nice choice. Sabara would work, but takes wayyyyy to long to fruit. Jaboticaba fruit well in containers and sometimes is better than being in ground as they like acidic soil.

Who has an elevated humidity level in their house?
- Rob

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 10:10:08 PM »

I knew this dickish comment was from you without even having to read the username.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 10:59:09 PM »

I knew this dickish comment was from you without even having to read the username.
I'm sorry. My post was off topic. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 11:16:43 PM »

I'm sorry. My post was off topic. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Youre totally fine my friend. Theres just this one member who seems to have never learned manners.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 01:01:21 AM »
Civility and common sense are at an all time low in these times.
How could the OP possibly think that it was he that had made the bad mannerd comment, when it was quite clearly not he.
Despite Rob’s perceived lack of tact or manners, it appears to be a valid question I had a hard time thinking of a possible space commonly inside people’s homes where there is sunlight and high humidity. If you don’t pop valid questions like this into peoples minds to take into consideration, they can do not well thought out , rookie moves and kill that plant quick quick.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 05:56:45 AM »
A south facing window can provide enough light... A tray beneath the container kept filled with some water can help elevate the close-proximity atmospheric humidity.

Remember... some people live in apartments with limited space... but still have the agricultural bug.
I know I did...

Kevin

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 06:38:00 AM »
A south facing window can provide enough light... A tray beneath the container kept filled with some water can help elevate the close-proximity atmospheric humidity.

Remember... some people live in apartments with limited space... but still have the agricultural bug.
I know I did...

Kevin
I have actually had the same idea and appreciate everyone's input. I find that having a houseplant brings joy. Every time I lay my eyes on soursop it elevates my mood. I am sure a Red Jabo would do the same thing so i may plant one outside and keep one on the inside. It's just a hobby go for it :)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 06:39:47 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 06:48:54 AM »
After college... when I was living in an apartment... I started doing outdoor gardening in the space between apartments... I was luckier than most... because it was a small Mom and Pop owned complex... the owners were fine with that...next thing you know I had built my first Star Plate Dome in the backyard and started growing Passionflowers in the south-facing window.
Later... Moving to a house with a large yard... my addiction has only continued to grow.

Kevin

BenG

• Menlo Park, California (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »
Thanks for all the valuable advice. I have a south-facing window in which I am already growing my passionfruit vine. I have a humidifier going up there, so humidity should be good.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »
Civility and common sense are at an all time low in these times.
How could the OP possibly think that it was he that had made the bad mannerd comment, when it was quite clearly not he.
Despite Rob’s perceived lack of tact or manners, it appears to be a valid question I had a hard time thinking of a possible space commonly inside people’s homes where there is sunlight and high humidity. If you don’t pop valid questions like this into peoples minds to take into consideration, they can do not well thought out , rookie moves and kill that plant quick quick.
I agree with what you are saying and also with Bs bullie just thought that people thought I hadn't thought out my post well enough before posting .......lack of humidity shouldn't be too bad as I have grown more finicky plants (soursop and coconut) in the house next to a large window before I had a greenhouse with no additional humidity or light. Although with lower levels of humidity, the leaf tips of jaboticaba could die back. And like mentioned above, humidity can be increased with something as simple as a bowl of water.

Indra

• WA,zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 10:24:07 PM »
Myrciaria Glazioviana indoors works for me, Ive never had issue going on year 4 now.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 07:39:35 AM »
I have some growing indoors. Though it's too early to tell if they will thrive. So far so good (It has been 6 months). I'm using grow lights though.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 03:43:44 PM »

Humidifiers are not very expensive, and if strategically placed they can create an area of higher humidity without the house getting totally soggy. I have a mini-split that directs warmth directly at my plant area, and a humidifier on a stool in between. That way the airflow from the heat blows the steam plume right into the plants.

No jaboticaba there, but plenty of humidity loving tropical plants, and the only time they have dried out is when I neglect to refill the humidifier for a day or two. At first I had it turned up too high and condensation was building up on the windows around the house, but I dialed it back and found the right level to keep the plants happy and the house pleasantly humid rather than dank.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk