Author Topic: Is anybody that owns a nursery hiring?  (Read 1966 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Is anybody that owns a nursery hiring?
« on: October 27, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »
Probably the first post like this on here; sorry mods if it isn't allowed.

Partially thanks to this forum, I have been wanting to get into the fruit tree industry for awhile now. I love learning about different kinds of fruit and what makes them produce. I think this is something I want to do with my life. I have tried sending out business letters with my resume to every fruit tree place I can find, so far without much success. That got me thinking:

I know some of the people here own nurseries. Are any of you hiring? Or does anyone know of any place that may be? I have a business degree, so I can help with administration or marketing or something as well us working on the trees.

Florida nurseries, especially in the Tampa Bay area, would be preferable, but I'm willing to consider any place as long as you have a spot for me.

Send me a PM and we can discuss it. I can give you a copy of my resume and phone number and we can talk over the phone. Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:47:07 PM by Weboh »

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Is anybody that owns a nursery hiring?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:46:05 PM »
One place I'm really interested in is Pine Island Nursery. Looks like the kind of place I want to work. I sent them a résumé and cover letter a few months ago but got no reply—nobody likes "cold calls," I guess. If anybody has any connections there (or any similar place, for that matter) and could set up a conversation, that would be helpful. Thanks
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:50:58 PM by Weboh »

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:05:43 PM »
Resumes can be impersonal.  If it were me I’d take a drive to the nurseries you’re considering and talk with the owners and ask in person.  Good luck. 

Brad
Brad

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:06:42 PM »
I got started working for small nursery owners on the weekends while still working at my regular job. I usually took plants in trade for the labor because that's what I was really interested in at the end of the day.

You might have luck with a similar approach. It also seems like a lot of the work that needs to be done is seasonal, so maybe reach out ahead of the busy season.

Best of luck with your adventure.
John

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:56:31 PM »
Try Speedling in Ruskin, FL. If you want to find many of the nurseries in your area, do a member search of your local FNGLA chapter.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:57 PM »
Forgot to mention, there are very few fruit tree only nurseries compared to the total amount of nurseries in any given area of Florida. If you only want to work at a fruit tree nursery then plan on relocating.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk