Author Topic: Rollinia Q's  (Read 1455 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Rollinia Q's
« on: October 30, 2020, 02:35:31 PM »
Last February I bought a Rollinia which was about 6' tall with a 1" caliper at the base of the trunk at the time. It's very healthy and happy in the sunny spot I put it in which was "vacated" by my Gold Nugget Jak.

At this time, it's filled out nicely and attained another foot or so and the trunk is fattening up nicely. Everything I've read states that they can fruit REALLY fast. That begs the question, at what size are they mature enough to fruit?

Given the original size of my seedling I would "guess" it was at least 2-3 years old when I got it and even after its growth spurt here I can't see it (and I do not expect it to) fruiting for another 4-6 years. So how realistic are claims I've read that they can fruit in as little as 2 1/2 years?

Regards,

Gary

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Rollinia Q's
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »
While they can flower and fruit at that size, mine took a while (couple of years in ground from roughly your stated tree size).

Fertilization helps with flowering.

Hand pollinate when it does flower.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »
Rollinia trees can grow fast. If you hand pollenate in spring, you may get fruit next year. If the tree is flowering now, I would not bother.  Winter fruit are bland and tough on the tree because it will loose its leaves soon.  The difficulty with hand pollenating rollinias is that they tend to flower male and female on alternating days. Collect pollen in the evening. Store it in the refrigerator in a small air-tight container or ziplock bag. Pollenate the females the next evening, 6pm or later.  I have a "dwarf" tree that fruits at a small size. The tree may abort some fruit when they are under an inch in diameter.
Brandon

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 07:01:49 AM »
I don’t know how useful this info will be to you.  In the wet, equatorial tropics rollinia is more of a weed tree.  The growth is very fast and open.  The consensus here is that biriba has a short life, perhaps 15 years or so and it’s about had it.  That compares to other fruit trees like Mamey, sapodilla, durian, mangosteen, etc. that can all easily reach 100 years old.
  We prune it pretty hard to keep it low enough to work the fruits.  Nobody has to pollinate it here.
Peter

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 12:21:55 PM »
sorry for late reply,(busy.unwell just wanted ask which of those live longest.
That's an odd question.....🧐

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 12:26:54 PM »
Hope you feel better soon your friend bovine

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »

Thats becuase I'm an odd asker
We'll it may be a good idea to start a new thread. The OP is looking for answers to his question.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
...some weird stuff going on round here...

Brandon is correct. Winter fruits aren't as good.

Also, pollinating is a semi-complicated art the becomes easy with time. Might be good to start learning the process. Took me a while to get a hang of it.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 02:49:56 PM »
Would be interesting to know all the pollnating mechanics of Rollinia, but it also would be helpful to know its particular native pollnating agents there in the Amazon Basin. 

If we knew and understood that it is then possible that we could maybe find a local pollinatng vector for it here where we are.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 12:55:25 AM »

Thats becuase I'm an odd asker
We'll it may be a good idea to start a new thread. The OP is looking for answers to his question.

You miss my posts?
I do see your comments on other's posts. You say things just to say it such as " i don't know"... if you don't know, don't comment. Recently I even seen you comment on a durian post with comments about jackfruit. It makes no sense.... are you seeking attention or a higher post count?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 01:34:54 AM »
[You miss my posts?

Some members on here apparently greatly enjoy missing your posts.

Just a gentle word to the wise, as it were . . .

Regards,

Paul M.
==

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk