Author Topic: persimmon collectors?  (Read 5529 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
persimmon collectors?
« on: October 30, 2020, 06:10:15 PM »
Anyone have a big collection of persimmons?  Whats your favorites?  Do you have multigraft trees?  Ive never been that excited for them but this years fuyu are amazing.  I'm thinking of adding more.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:57:49 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Re: persimmon collectors?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »
Got a few of the better ones, don’t know what you are looking for.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »
I just grow the soft ones (hachiya and tanenashi) Have some fuyus also...Haven't been into collecting more varieties as these suit my needs. There are a lot of wild persimmons on my property that have the potential to be topworked...When I used to live in VA, there was a tree on the property over 40 feet tall. Got struck by lightning and split in half. Even though only half the tree lived, there was still more than enough persimmons for my family even though some were too high to pick, some got stolen by people, and others we gave away. I miss that tree.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 07:37:57 PM »
Got a few of the better ones, don’t know what you are looking for. My all time favorites are, KBS, GIOMBO, ROJO BRILLIANTE. You trade?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:21:49 PM by luak »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 10:59:47 PM »
I was thinking maybe the coffee or chocolate ones or something like that.  We have a Fuyu tree.  I like ones that dont have to be mush to eat. 

Brad Spaugh

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 11:16:01 PM »
Chocolate and coffeecake may be that way, but Maru is not. Maru is pollination variant, but even when pollinated it has been way too astringent to eat hard. This may change later in the season. I let the astringent maru sit on the counter and dry up a little bit, and the astringency went away, great taste, like a very complex date.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:18:41 PM by Oolie »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »
Coffecake and Izu look like ones I want to find.  Or any other excellent non astringent types.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:47:10 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 03:01:18 PM »
I don't have a collection yet, but I'm trying to build one. If someone has scionwood for sale and can sell to Europe, I'd be interested. :)

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 11:00:50 AM »
If you have access to the ones that do turn to mush try in a smoothie
I like them mushy , but I do know of one that dries on the tree
 (A American one but May also have some Hybrid I have to ask or read of varieties and remember )

I did have 2 trees , but it has been a bad year (hurt my back, and had to lay on stomach for sometime )
and left the pots outside to die.

Do you want me to ask about the one that dries on tree
 (it would be Cliff England , but want to travel there soon)

Didn't say much, but have to ask

Have you ever tried drying them
Even in a small toaster oven on 200 for 8 hours could try it , and will not heat up the house much in CA.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 11:05:15 AM »
That being said I am trying to save some seed to see what I get

People do  not know, but We get -20F( -28C) a hundred year old tree is by Morton Arboretum (lisle) (or better known Morton salt founders)

got a bunch of seeds from different varieties open pollinated ,
and because of my back injury  that I didn't plant this year.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 10:19:46 PM »
Brad,
I love non-astringent persimons. I think you will like the ones listed below if you like fuyu.
1. Hayakume - requires cross pollinator to be sweet, one of the best tasting
2. Matsumoto wase - non-astringetn. Early ripening ( 4wks) than regular fuyu and it's much sweeter. You can also let fruit get soft for those that like soft, and it's super sweet (see last photos).

Check out a few photos of the Matsumoto wase. I have Chocolate and Coffeecake, no fruits yet but both are also very sweet.
Giant fuyu is not as sweet as the regular fuyu so don't bother grafting that one.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:23:56 PM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »
They look great Kaz.  If you can spare a couple sticks in winter let me know. 

What month is best to graft?  Maybe February?
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
Its better to wait until Jan-Feb, just before leaves start to grow out.
I will let you know.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 03:06:21 PM »
I fell in love with semi-frozen overripe persimmons this year. I highly recommend you try them Brad. Cut in quarters or sixths, remove seeds, freeze for about 2 hours, or let them thaw in the refrigerator for a bit if fully frozen. The fuyus I got just can't compare, even if frozen.

Does anybody know if seedlings of brown-fleshed persimmons tend to have brown flesh as well?

That overripe Matsumoto looks like it would be amazing semi-frozen.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »
Sounds interesting for sure.  Maybe use the soft ones to make Popsicles.  I only have a fuyu tree though. 
Brad Spaugh

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 09:44:50 PM »
Saijo , Giombo and Suruga are the best three by far of about 20 kaki persimmons I have tasted. Hachiya is also among the best.
 I know Jerry Lehman had a huge collection of native persimmons in Indiana and was working on commercializing frozen pulp. I met him several times over the years at fruit growers meetings and tasted some of his breeding selections over 20 years ago. Some had very little astringency and good size. A few of his native persimmons were just as good or better than the kakis and I think he had some hybrids. Was sad to hear he passed away last year. If you do a search with his name and persimmons you will find links to people that he shared his plant material with.
 BTW, the furthest South I have have seen native persimmon trees was near Daytona off the Southbound I95 shoulder and also in the Gainesville area off 301. Those trees might be good to use in Florida for rootstock. Persimmons are my grafting nemesis, only one take out of at least 50 tries when I lived in South Carolina.
  I suspect black sapote might possibly cross with Kaki or American persimmons or be graft compatible to grow Kakis easier in low chill areas of Florida. Good black sapote cultivars have taste similar to a pollen variant kaki but fruit and seeds are much larger. Black sapote are really a persimmon species too. Australia seems to have the best cultivars of those. My Dad has a mature Black sapote tree, maybe I will attempt grafts or save a few seeds for those that would like to try. I think black sapote would do well in San Diego.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 06:02:15 AM by TonyinCC »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »
Black sapote grows here, they sell them at the nursery and Ive tried a couple of them from differwnt yards but disnt really enjoy it.  It seemed pretty bland compared to other sapote and persimmons. 
Brad Spaugh

V

• Santa Barbara, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 06:12:30 PM »
I was thinking maybe the coffee or chocolate ones or something like that.  We have a Fuyu tree.  I like ones that dont have to be mush to eat.

I never tried Coffee Cake or Chocolate persimmons, but I heard they are very good. According to Dave Wilson website ( https://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/persimmons ), Chocolate persimmon is astringent until ripe, and Coffee Cake is non-astringent but needs a pollinator (e.g. Chocolate persimmon).

I ordered scionwood for both from Fruitwood nursery ( https://fruitwoodnursery.com/persimmon-scionwood-diospyros-kaki ). They have many other varieties as well.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 08:37:41 PM »

I never tried Coffee Cake or Chocolate persimmons, but I heard they are very good. According to Dave Wilson website ( https://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/persimmons ), Chocolate persimmon is astringent until ripe, and Coffee Cake is non-astringent but needs a pollinator (e.g. Chocolate persimmon).

I ordered scionwood for both from Fruitwood nursery ( https://fruitwoodnursery.com/persimmon-scionwood-diospyros-kaki ). They have many other varieties as well.

Yeah I think Ill get those 2 trees fromdave wilson this year.  They sell bare root trees at the store here in january. 
Brad Spaugh

Gotamas

• Sand Hills of Carolina, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 12:23:47 AM »
Saijo , Giombo and Suruga are the best three by far of about 20 kaki persimmons I have tasted. Hachiya is also among the best.
 I know Jerry Lehman had a huge collection of native persimmons in Indiana and was working on commercializing frozen pulp. I met him several times over the years at fruit growers meetings and tasted some of his breeding selections over 20 years ago. Some had very little astringency and good size. A few of his native persimmons were just as good or better than the kakis and I think he had some hybrids. Was sad to hear he passed away last year. If you do a search with his name and persimmons you will find links to people that he shared his plant material with.
 BTW, the furthest South I have have seen native persimmon trees was near Daytona off the Southbound I95 shoulder and also in the Gainesville area off 301. Those trees might be good to use in Florida for rootstock. Persimmons are my grafting nemesis, only one take out of at least 50 tries when I lived in South Carolina.
  I suspect black sapote might possibly cross with Kaki or American persimmons or be graft compatible to grow Kakis easier in low chill areas of Florida. Good black sapote cultivars have taste similar to a pollen variant kaki but fruit and seeds are much larger. Black sapote are really a persimmon species too. Australia seems to have the best cultivars of those. My Dad has a mature Black sapote tree, maybe I will attempt grafts or save a few seeds for those that would like to try. I think black sapote would do well in San Diego.

I did about 20 bud grafts here in SC and only got 2 to take.

I am always on the lookout for Persimmon Cuttings! So far I got Prok and Tam Kam to take.
I will be trying again this year. There are about 10 American Persimmon trees in my yard that came with the house and some are about 30 feet tall and have fruit.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »
Picked up a Suruga tree a few weeks ago. Might be a long shot to get it to flower and produce decent fruit all the way down here, gonna give it a try.

A lone Fuyu made me a believer. 

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »
Seems like the Asian kaki persimmons are very slow growing in South Florida. Have seen a few growing and fruiting but they seems stunted and unhappy as compared to a few hundred miles North.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »
Hello everyone , could someone recommend me a persimmon variety for zone 7 ; hardiness, taste , self fertility etc . Thanks !!!

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2020, 07:37:33 PM »
Saijo translates to "The very best one" The original tree is centuries old. Egg shaped astringent variety that is also good for drying. Hardy and self fertile.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to persimmons, but Fuyu tastes good and is the best variety of the maybe 4 varieties which I've tasted.
Every single Hachiya that I've ever tasted I could almost not eat, they were too astringent. I've purchased Hachiya an endless number of times from different markets, each time hoping this time might different, but it never is.
And this is coming from someone who is a fan of quince fruit and sometimes likes eating raw plantain bananas, so it's definitely not like I am the type of individual who would be unable to like something astringent.