Author Topic: Are Loquats in Zone 7a possible?  (Read 4377 times)

Patanax

• Austria, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Are Loquats in Zone 7a possible?
« on: April 14, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »
Hello,

I am located in zone 7a and I have five five year old loquat seedling trees that I have kept in containers up until now. I was thinking of planting one of the trees outside in the garden as an experiment, next to a south-facing wall. While I am certain that the tree will survive in general (maybe with regular frost damage), I was curious if fruit production was possible.

From what I've gathered online, loquats normally flower in late fall or early winter and bear fruit in spring and early summer in mediterranean climate. In colder climate, they flower in late winter and bear fruit in the summer. I was thinking about grafting a very late blooming variety on my tree, the idea being that it starts blooming in early spring (so that the flower buds aren't killed in the winter) and bears fruit in late summer.

Any opinions? Could this work, or is it nonsense?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Are Loquats in Zone 7a possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:48:23 PM »
I don't know if this helps but I know it can grow it Portland and urban areas of Seattle, although it doesn't grow so well. That would be zone 8b.

You might be interested in this blog. She planted a small loquat plant in Gloucester, Massachusetts. It died to the ground over the Winter so she decided to dig it up and replant it in a spot more sheltered from the wind. To her surprise it kept growing and got big. It hasn't born fruit.

https://goingtoseedinzone5.com/2009/08/24/a-loquat-in-zone-7/

Someone in zone 7b Alabama wrote that they had several loquats and that they had been doing great, but that climate zone has more heat and a longer growing season than more northerly zone 7 areas.

Someone in the U.K. observed that loquats typically begin fruiting in the seventh year. Someone else in Vancouver, Canada, said they had a loquat tree in the ground for 5 years, it was 6 feet tall, but it hadn't produced fruit yet.

Loquat trees typically bloom in late fall or winter, so the general consensus seems to be if you are in a colder climate not to expect fruit.
Someone else in zone 8b Alabama commented that when the Winter temperature went down to 19F one year none of fruits survived, but the leaves were not damaged.

Some people just want to grow loquat to be able to know what the fresh fruits taste like. In my opinion, the taste is nothing really all that exotic or wonderful. Compared to a good apple variety fresh off the tree you're not really missing anything. (Although the flavor is not really the same as apple)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:32:55 PM by SoCal2warm »

Patanax

• Austria, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 04:14:28 PM »
Very interesting indeed, thanks for the link. I will keep it in mind when I plant mine outside.

I've actually spoken with someone today that claims they have a fruit-bearing Loquat tree that is planted outside here, but I'll have to get back to them and ask for the details.

But even if I can't get any fruit from my tree, it could still be a nice ornamental in our garden. As for why I am interested in the fruit, it's because it's unusual and I have five trees that I've taken care of for so long ;D

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:49:47 PM »
When I lived in VA, there were 2 growing, unprotected in Gloucester, VA at the KFC.  They were big, healthy and in zone 7b.  I would imagine with protection and good planting it can be done in 7a.

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:36:09 AM »
They will grow but will not fruit in zones 8 or lower

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »
we had temps of 20F in Jan (for 1 night)
this is the first year i got fruit on the larger 2 trees
they seem pretty healthy.
ive seen Loquat fruit in 8b before. i know they can.
i grafted to a few branches,
and the flavor is pretty nice with the improved varieties.

check jujubetexas post
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2321/#b

jimmy_va

• usa,va,springfield,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »
I live in Northern Va zone 7a, my tree is at 6ft and fruited every year, I do cover it up during the winter.I grafted a Gold Nugget branch to a seedling and it fruited after three years.This picture took back in April when I uncovered it.I also have a dwarf Premier variety in a pot and pushing out flower now in July , not sure how.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 04:45:14 PM »
Hello,

I am located in zone 7a and I have five five year old loquat seedling trees that I have kept in containers up until now. I was thinking of planting one of the trees outside in the garden as an experiment, next to a south-facing wall.
You can gain more protection by installing side walls out from the south facing walls, heavy masonry is what you are looking for. Even water filled drums would help some. With side walls installed a simple sheet of plastic might be used for late frost protection.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
I live in Northern Va zone 7a, my tree is at 6ft and fruited every year, I do cover it up during the winter.I grafted a Gold Nugget branch to a seedling and it fruited after three years.This picture took back in April when I uncovered it.I also have a dwarf Premier variety in a pot and pushing out flower now in July , not sure how.

Thats sound promising, what is your min winter temp? and what kind of cover did you use?

thanks!
Daniel