Author Topic: Lychee help (Brewster)  (Read 2451 times)

Eekler81 tropical trail

• Melbourne Beach FL Central Florida
    • View Profile
Lychee help (Brewster)
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »
Hey there ppl.  What is going on here I've had him for almost a year he lost all his leaves and now they be us really struggling!!   HELP PLZ!!!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee help (Brewster)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »
Hey there ppl.  What is going on here I've had him for almost a year he lost all his leaves and now they be us really struggling!!   HELP PLZ!!!

How is the drainage in that pot? Also, they like a lot of sun, your screen porch is cutting about 40% of the available sunlight..

Eekler81 tropical trail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »
He was in the ground then lost all leaves so I brought him to the porch hoping to keep a better eye on him.  Drainage is good

Eekler81 tropical trail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:17:52 AM »

Right next to my key lime which is doing very well

Thx

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »
He was in the ground then lost all leaves so I brought him to the porch hoping to keep a better eye on him.  Drainage is good

The leaf drop indicated a stress factor, maybe lack of water or low temps or high winds? Digging the tree up and repotting (explains the fresh soil in the pot) will also stress the tree.  I would get it out in full sun and be patient, its gonna need some recovery time.  Lychees are funny trees.. They dont grow in front of your eyes like mango or other tropical fruit trees.  I find it useful to take photos to record growth, its more rewarding then daily checks!

I assume the Key Lime was just potted too?

Eekler81 tropical trail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
They have both been in pots for over 8 months!   Thx for the info!!  so the lychee should get more direct sun?   I water a bit evryother day is taht to much onlt a gallon or so?   it looked do great 10 moths ago the poof no leaves.   so water sun and stop looking at it is the best way to get a reward from it?   I really appreciate your comments and will follow them until it recoveres or gets worse.

Thx EEk

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:05:31 AM »
They have both been in pots for over 8 months!   Thx for the info!!  so the lychee should get more direct sun?   I water a bit evryother day is taht to much onlt a gallon or so?   it looked do great 10 moths ago the poof no leaves.   so water sun and stop looking at it is the best way to get a reward from it?   I really appreciate your comments and will follow them until it recoveres or gets worse.

Thx EEk

I would give it about a quart to half-gallon every couple days.. Full sun in best.  Spring/Summer should make this tree happier!