Author Topic: Shipping mangoes to Arizona  (Read 6162 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Shipping mangoes to Arizona
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:15:10 PM »
I have been reading here about the wonderful varieties of mangoes that now I am intrigued. What is the best place to order a variety of fruit so I can taste a few different kinds at the same time? Does anyone know of a place in FL. that will ship some to AZ? Please advice. Thanks Xenia

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping mangoes to Arizona
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
im on the same boat as you. Would love to try all these great varieties

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
Hi Raimeiken! I ended up ordering 4 large boxes of Mangoes from the Mango Factory. I asked them to send me a box every 2 weeks with a mix variety of mangos so that way I can try different kinds. I can’t wait to get my first shipment! :)
I was hoping that someone here would take the time to give me the inside to the best places to order, but since there were no responses I decided to take my chances. The mangoes in the website look delicious so maybe that sold me to the site. :P

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »
Hi Tropicalnut -

I'm always looking for a mango source to ship mangoes to my mom -they are her favorite fruit!

Please do report on Mango Factory when the box arrives!

www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:59:22 AM »
As soon as I get them I will take pictures and report. :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
Ouch, those prices are steep and for the varieties available.  I hope they are good...
- Rob

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:57:47 AM »
Hi Raimeiken! I ended up ordering 4 large boxes of Mangoes from the Mango Factory. I asked them to send me a box every 2 weeks with a mix variety of mangos so that way I can try different kinds. I can’t wait to get my first shipment! :)
I was hoping that someone here would take the time to give me the inside to the best places to order, but since there were no responses I decided to take my chances. The mangoes in the website look delicious so maybe that sold me to the site. :P

All kinds of tropical fruit shipped from Redlands, FL
Yes, they will ship you fresh FL Mango.

http://www.localharvest.org/store/M26409

Posted this in Where to buy Tropical Fruit above your post regarding Ice Cream Bean.
Good to know there is a second farm shipping Mango's out of Florida. If only someone would openly ship the cream of the crop varieties.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
Thanks, I think no matter how I look at it, I will pay a hefty price for tropical fruit. It seems that the Asian stores here in Phoenix only sell two varieties of mangoes. So maybe the mangoes from the Mango factory are not so rare, but it will be a change for me. At least I am being optimistic that they will be an improvement over what I can get here. 
The link posted by Bush2Beach doesn't show ice cream beans for sale; at least I didn't see it. :( But thanks for the link; I am sure I will be trying some of their other fruits.

I was hoping that some people from FL who had extra mangoes, leeches or longans from their trees were willing to sell some out, but I guess they only have enough for their families and shipping its too complicated. :)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »
Here are the mangoes I got today from the Mango Factory. I asked them to send me a variety of mangoes so I could try them. So I got this box with 16 mangoes and a note saying that they are Hayden, Irwin, Valencia pride and Cambodiana. The problem is that I don't have a clue which is which. :(
Any help identifying them will be greatly appreciated that way I can make a more inform decision of which one I like best.  Thanks in advance! Xenia

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 12:15:34 AM »
You can order some good mangos from Mangozz.com I get Indian Mangos from them. They don't have any Zill varieties but they do have some excellent varieties like Alphonso, Kesar, Mallika, Neelam, Banganpalli, etc.... My recent order of Mallikas were a bit over ripe but they were still pretty good.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:36 AM »
Thanks, I will give them a try. :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »
You can order some good mangos from Mangozz.com I get Indian Mangos from them. They don't have any Zill varieties but they do have some excellent varieties like Alphonso, Kesar, Mallika, Neelam, Banganpalli, etc.... My recent order of Mallikas were a bit over ripe but they were still pretty good.

Them be mighty wrinkled.  I seem to see more bad than good from mangozz.
- Rob

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »
Here are the mangoes I got today from the Mango Factory. I asked them to send me a variety of mangoes so I could try them. So I got this box with 16 mangoes and a note saying that they are Hayden, Irwin, Valencia pride and Cambodiana. The problem is that I don't have a clue which is which. :(
Any help identifying them will be greatly appreciated that way I can make a more inform decision of which one I like best.  Thanks in advance! Xenia

4th is definitely Valencia pride. . last 2 pics look like Irwin's to me. first pic might be a small haden, they usually are larger , but have similar colors, I don't think the second pic is a Hayden, given the colors. here is a pic of some hadens, maybe that will help you identify the others

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
Thanks for the info!  :)
I tried to group them accordingly to size and appearance, and maybe that will give you a better idea about their identity. I must admit that the picture of the last two got me a bit puzzled,  I don't know if they belong to a previous group, but don't know to which one.  :o

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »

Them be mighty wrinkled.  I seem to see more bad than good from mangozz.

Rob, this is the worst batch I recieved from them in a long time. Every fruit has been edible so far but I'm sure you can tell that the fruit was picked a bit early so that it can endure the shipping from India. Here is a picture of inside the fruit, the Brix was only 17% but it tasted sweet nonetheless. The Kesars I recieved from them were excellent last year.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Thera

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »
Thanks a lot! :)

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 01:27:08 AM »
Have you tried these guys at least for trees?

http://www.tropicamango.com

Watch "Nursery tour, Tropica Mango Rare And Exotic Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/D6dGKtDr1Y8

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 12:19:36 PM »
Yes, I find them a bit more expensive than Shamus O'Leary and Shamus is closer to me. But I did buy a couple of trees from them that died, not their fault but mine. I only have one little mango planted a Piña Colada (from Shamus) that I planted 2 months ago and it’s doing great so far, it has shoot 6 inches of new growth since then. :) I may have room for 2 more mangoes but I need to decide which kind to plant that is the reason why I wanted to try different kinds of Mangoes to make a better decision.  :D

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 06:32:07 PM »
Shamus is definitely the place to buy all sorts of tropical fruit trees. Reasonable prices and very knowledgeable.

Tropicamango on the other hand I would stay away from. astronomical prices. Only people that buy from there are the one's that don't know about a cheaper option to buy from yet like Shamus'.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 06:59:34 PM »
I agree rainmeiken!   ;) I have been buying from him for years now and my trees with the exception of one are thriving. But the one that I killed it was my fault, prior to that it was growing beautifully until I transplanted it.  :'(

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 03:52:45 PM »
Yeah, shamus has the best selection. You can even request varieties of mango, even the newer ones like ST, LZ, and PP. He doesn't have the unreleased ones though like Fruit Punch and OS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk