Author Topic: Sending pictures.  (Read 3730 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Sending pictures.
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:41:39 PM »
Some members have asked why their pictures have shown up sideways.  I asked the forum's administration and here is the answer.   'I think the reason the pics are showing up sideways is because they are not adjusting them before uploading them. Tell the people with the issue to rotate the picture BEFORE uploading it and it should work. If they are uploading from their phone, it may be more difficult." - Millet

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Sending pictures.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Do you mean to tell us that we can send men to the moon but we can't have this brilliant internet automatically rotate a picture for us?  What's this world coming to?   

I'm with Zands on this one, it's conspiracy to have us all tilt our heads.  Fortunately, someone found a work-around.   Hold the CTRL and ALT keys down and then press a side arrow.  That'll fix it.  (Up arrow to return to reality) 
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:57:49 PM »
Do you mean to tell us that we can send men to the moon but we can't have this brilliant internet automatically rotate a picture for us?  What's this world coming to?   

I'm with Zands on this one, it's conspiracy to have us all tilt our heads.  Fortunately, someone found a work-around.   Hold the CTRL and ALT keys down and then press a side arrow.  That'll fix it.  (Up arrow to return to reality)
Isn't that windows Vista's shortcut to rotate the entire screen? It'll rearrange your desktop icons though.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:40:45 AM »
I use my iPhone almost exclusively and rarely use my Mac book laptop. I tried to figure out how to turn pics on iPhone before upload, but can't. This site wants to place pics horizontally, but most people take a photo with phone held vertically. Oh, but that's right, it's my fault. At least it's easier to get a pic on this site; was almost impossible on citrus forum. We are getting there.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »
I suggest using imgur.com for picture hosting, you can upload without creating any sort of account, it is free and the pictures seem to stay up forever.  There are also built-in tools to rotate/crop/resize though doing it in windows is probably easier.

You can then put a link to the image in-line in tags like this:  [img]http://link_to_the_image[/img]

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »
Tell the people with the issue to rotate the picture BEFORE uploading it and it should work. If they are uploading from their phone, it may be more difficult." - Millet

:)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
If that image hosting site would just read the EXIF orientation data that's in the jpg files it would be able to rotate the photos correctly automatically. I'm surprised they didn't do such a simple thing. That is unless your camera was pretty Mich horizontal when the picture was taken.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
The images are loaded correctly. If you right click on a image that appears to be sideways & select "view image" it shows the original image. It's something with the way this forum handles images.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »
Here's a good example. First photo. Now right click & select "view image"...

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32037.0

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
If you are using a phone camera, it helps sometime just to try to rotate back and forth the image and safeguard it before sending to the cloud.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
The rotation is controlled by the EXIF orientation information created by the camera and embedded in the image. The program displaying the image may or may not use this information, and many interpret it incorrectly. There is a long article about the way different programs behave at https://www.daveperrett.com/articles/2012/07/28/exif-orientation-handling-is-a-ghetto/
Using ExifPro shows Laaz's photo has the orientation flag set to '90 degrees counter-clockwise', presumably because that was the way he was holding the camera or phone. Many photo editing programs will remove the EXIF flag when you save the image.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 12:26:29 PM »
Thanks Mike. Makes it a pain in the ass if you just want to upload from the phone.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 06:35:33 AM »

CLICK!

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum