Author Topic: Winter protection built for my abiu  (Read 3291 times)

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
Winter protection built for my abiu
« on: November 13, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
This was a fun project. First time building a PVC structure. 8’x5’x5’ with .6 MM “clear” plastic which is not as “clear” as I hoped.  I bought some 3 ft rebar to sink in the ground and go up the pipe legs for stability and wind protection.  Will use a space heater on a timer inside.  I poked some small holes in the roof to prevent rainwater weight from building up.  Still need to cut and build a few Velcro flaps for ventilation.  Surprisingly easy but next time I might plan it out better.  I used PVC glue to bind the poles into 4 large pieces. 2 sides, base, and top. I can disconnect one of the crossbars 3ft off the ground to move the tree in and out as needed.  Still need to cut and build a few Velcro flaps for ventilation, and make a door so I don’t have to tip the structure to angle the tree inside.   Nice thing about PVC is I can make it taller in future winters as the tree grows.  I’m determined to fruit this.    :D

"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
Re: Winter protection built for my abiu
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »
wow, good luck.. haha, I tried 4 different plants and they all died  :( The smallest one actually lasted more than a year.. but I forgot to water it for a few months haha.. so it's my fault.. I'll buy some fruit from you when you get some  ;D

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »
maybe this is not a thought out idea, but has anyone thought about using the heat coming from a dryer vent?  Somehow it seems like it's wasted heat once it passes through the dryer.  maybe could be connected to this hot house to get some warm air into the hot house during the winter? 

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
maybe this is not a thought out idea, but has anyone thought about using the heat coming from a dryer vent?  Somehow it seems like it's wasted heat once it passes through the dryer.  maybe could be connected to this hot house to get some warm air into the hot house during the winter?

That sounds like a good idea. I would test it out on a small inexpensive tree to make sure it doesn't damage the leaves. Good job on that cover!

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:22:07 PM »
Good luck! One of my favorite fruits. Different cultivars have a wide variance of cold hardiness from what I understand.
-Josh

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »

I think it's a good idea.  I wanted to do it for a lychee tree here, but the pipe would have to run too far.  Also, steam vents in cities are another option for this (say from co-generation facilities).

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:35:28 AM »

i've been thinking about recycling an old clothes dryer as a greenhouse heater.  i have one that broke the belt that turns the drum, but the heating elements are still just fine.  a little sheet metal work, a fan, and some stove-pipe ducting...  it's on the list of projects i haven't gotten to yet.  that list keeps growing :(
treefrog land and cattle company

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 11:22:56 PM »
I would prefer to hung the old Christmas trees bulbs around the tree instead.
Its more economical and practical (than clothes dryer), but this is only my opinion...

If the winter night is more severe (like in low 30's), I encircled the trees with cardboard
boxes fashioned as a wall. I did this last Winter, not one tree died, except one tree
(Jackfruit) the following Spring but that was due to sunburn...

Sam

SocalKoop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »
I would prefer to hung the old Christmas trees bulbs around the tree instead.
Its more economical and practical (than clothes dryer), but this is only my opinion...

If the winter night is more severe (like in low 30's), I encircled the trees with cardboard
boxes fashioned as a wall. I did this last Winter, not one tree died, except one tree
(Jackfruit) the following Spring but that was due to sunburn...

I treat my in ground trees with clothe and C9 bulbs, but Abui seems so prone to failure in our climate that more protection seems warranted. I also invested too much time this summer smooshing the scale this plant came with not to go all out. Lol

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »
If you do pipe in air from a clothes dryer, you'll likely need a mister in there as well. The hot air is completely dry and will dehydrate your tree unless you have plenty of moisture in there too.

SocalKoop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »
I agree with BMc, but you could force the incoming hot air through material (maybe a cut air filter attached to the end of the vent pipe?) wetted constantly using a drip line attached to a pump in a pan of water that the excess drips into.  The main flaw is that it would only run when you are doing laundry.  That's like once or twice a week for most people unless you have OCD.  ::) ;D