Author Topic: Wind Danger to Coconut Cream Mango  (Read 3692 times)

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
Wind Danger to Coconut Cream Mango
« on: December 19, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »
I don't know if this is a unique trait of the coconut cream mango, but I know of three separate instances of where the coconut cream mango tree snapped at the trunk during the last hurricane. Winds were at the max 80 mph and in all cases these trees were in yards with lots of other assorted mango varieties that suffered no damage.  I know that the foliage is very convoluted in it's shape and I wonder if this creates more surface area for the winds to use to snap the trees?  Of course there could be other factors I am not aware of that might be the culprit, but it seems to much of a coincidence that just within my small circle of contacts that this is uniquely happening to only the coconut cream mango trees.       

conchyjoe

• jupiter fla
    • View Profile
Re: Wind Danger to Coconut Cream Mango
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »
i lost one tree out of 17.it was a coconut cream  that snapped at the base of the trunk. winds reached 60 to 70 mph.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
This may be an inherent defect of CC that stems from rootstock incompatibility?  What did the graft union look like?  Was the rootstock much larger than the trunk?  Thanks for sharing.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »

Examples of the compatibility issue.  I believe this tree is around 5yrs old.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:07:10 PM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
This may be an inherent defect of CC that stems from rootstock incompatibility?  What did the graft union look like?  Was the rootstock much larger than the trunk?  Thanks for sharing.

My CC that snapped in hurricane Mathew had rootstock compatability issues.  It was almost 2 liter sized thickness trunk and snapped at the ground level.  It was the only mango that I lost out of 20 varieties.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »

Examples of the compatibility issue.  I believe this tree is around 5yrs old.

Highly doubt that that tree is 5 years old.  As the variety was released in spring of 2011, that tree would have been severly stunted and/or even pot bound at a point though its life to be that small.  Also, depending on where you got it, dont know of many original release trees that are still around in pots.

I truly think there is a lot over overthinking and overanalyzing of some things.
- Rob

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 04:53:14 PM »
Hi Rob.  Maybe it is only 4 years, Idk? I purchased it from a lady in Miramar who grew it from a 3gal up to a 40gal.  Yes it was pot bound but fortunately it was a fabric pot :)  With all of these reports from various growers it seems this could be a legitimate vulnerability.  I received a PM from another person who's CC snapped while their other trees went unscathed.  Maybe this is all coincidence or over analysis.  Reason however leads me to think otherwise.  Is the original CC still intact and growing?  I would be curious to see a picture of the graft union. 
- Marley

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »
My experience with CC has been that the production is poor , growth habit is leggy the branches brittle and snap easy. I removed the tree and I'm currently experimenting with different rootstock but it's to early to report

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »
This is a pic of coconut cream in front of lemon zest.  My coconut cream likes to spread. The lemon zest wants to shoot for the sky.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
Hi Rob.  Maybe it is only 4 years, Idk? I purchased it from a lady in Miramar who grew it from a 3gal up to a 40gal.  Yes it was pot bound but fortunately it was a fabric pot :)  With all of these reports from various growers it seems this could be a legitimate vulnerability.  I received a PM from another person who's CC snapped while their other trees went unscathed.  Maybe this is all coincidence or over analysis.  Reason however leads me to think otherwise.  Is the original CC still intact and growing?  I would be curious to see a picture of the graft union.

Original tree is the seedling, and alive and well.  There is a second large grafted/top worked tree that I know of which  is also alive and well.  There is a large top worked tree on Walter Zill's property that is very productive and alive and well.

My in ground tree has had no breakage issues.  I believe Sheehan knows of an in ground tree from the original release that is alive and well and also produces well.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk