Author Topic: Geffner or African Pride Atemoya?  (Read 15243 times)

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
Geffner or African Pride Atemoya?
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:25:05 AM »
I was told that these were Atemoya from Israel.  I naturally assumed Geffner as a possibility.  Can anyone help me identify if these are indeed Geffner or perhaps African Pride by chance?  Also, how do I know if these are ready to eat?  They're naturally on the lighter green side, so it doesn't appear that they have gotten any lighter in color.  These are all from the same tree, so I hope it will be helpful to identify.  Thanks for your assistance.

Here's also one of a supposed Dr. White seedling.  Although the leaves certainly look like a cherimoya (sorry no actual leaves in the picture), the shape of the fruit looks kinda atemoya-ish?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:32:00 AM by eNorm »

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Geffner or African Pride Atemoya?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:41:06 AM »
These fruits look African Pride to me. Geffner is more uniform in an El Bumpo style.
Normally, when the lines between the scales/spikes start to turn yellowish, the fruit is ready to picked and ripen indoor. Some people prefer to leave the fruits ripen on the tree for better taste it seems.
Thera

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »
Thank you Thera for the tips.  However, African Pride would be bad, as I just grafted African Pride on that tree.  Kind of redundant  :'(

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:01:57 AM »
I have a gefner and an african pride next to each other and both have fruit on now.Hang on...........................................................

Here is a gefner and my african prides are smoother.Your ones look much closer to my gefner but in the 3rd pic they look closer to my african prides.Some are a good deal bigger than this but none are eNorm-ous.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
Thank you Mike T.  They do seem to have some similarities but still look different.  Yours is very uniform in shape as well.  Whatever they are, I just hope they taste good.  How much longer would you say before it's ripe for the picking?

They certainly seem to range in shape (pics from google search):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3point141/sets/72157626689028625/detail/

Greenhaven

• Gold Coast hinterland, SE Qld, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:21 PM »
Hope I'm not throwing a spanner in the works, but there is another Israeli cultivar sometimes available in Australia - it's Bernitsky. Apart from a general description of it having an "excellent flavour", info is hard to come by. You may have better luck in a search. Could this be your un-named cultivar?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 03:14:21 AM »
Bernitski - I've seen listed as being trialled in Florida with not too flattering results, but reports from here are very different. It is in Florida though.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 03:28:03 AM »
The atemoyas in the links don't match the shapes you see here very well.Atemoyas have a degree 'phenotypic plasticity' and fruit form is influenced by the climate the tree is in and the weather the fruit develops in.It isn't always easy to pick the variety with confidence if they vary between places.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Thank you for everyone's imput.  Bernitsky is difficult to find a good picture of, but it's not a variety that I have ever seen sold in California.

The nursery that I purchased my tree from as I recall, mentioned that it was an Israeli variety often grown and sold in Taiwan.  This information could be an assumption or misinformation for all I know.

That being said, another local nursery has a picture on their website that shows a picture of an African Pride Atemoya.  It's probabaly the closest look to mine.

http://www.papayatreenursery.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2048

Thanks again, I'll update on taste and take a picture of the inside when they're ready.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Well, they're finally ripe.  This is my first time tasting an atemoya.  The flesh around the seeds are a little chewy and around that is creamy like a cherimoya.  Although they taste quite nice, I find that I like cherimoya considerably better.  Don't get me wrong, I've had bad tasting cherimoyas and this atemoya is much better tasting than that... if that makes any sense.  :o :P

Here are pictures of the fruit:

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 12:16:51 AM »
Well, they're finally ripe.  This is my first time tasting an atemoya.  The flesh around the seeds are a little chewy and around that is creamy like a cherimoya.  Although they taste quite nice, I find that I like cherimoya considerably better.  Don't get me wrong, I've had bad tasting cherimoyas and this atemoya is much better tasting than that... if that makes any sense.  :o :P

Here are pictures of the fruit:

Definitely an African Pride. I have not tasted an Atemoya that can beats an average cherimoya

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:41 PM »
Thank you JF for the confirmation.  I believe the consensus is African Pride.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 02:34:22 AM »

African Pride off my tree looks different from the reference pix and those in question.It must be the climate.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »

Here i another african pride off my tree.In my climate it throws more to the cherimoya ide of it parentage.The rollinia is from a cooler part of the Atherton Tableland and i more in the mucosa style.Both were delicious.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 08:29:19 AM »
Had my first PP of the season today. Was going to take a happy snap, but it got hoovered by my wife and child before it hit the plate. Delicious and smooth and creamy!  :)
Rollinia season starts tomorrow. Only problem is that it looks like ill have 10 rollinia in 2 days and just a few after that, as they all ripen at once.  :-\

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
Thank you for the pix Mike.  It certainly doesn't look like we're even comparing the same fruit.  The African Pride in Australia seems like a completely different fruit than the ones here.  I wonder who has the real one.  There could have been a mix up here or over there as many of the African Prides here look very similar to mine it seems.

I think I'll keep the atemoya tree around in a pot, but I really enjoy cherimoya considerably more.  One day, I hope I'll get to try my own Rollina fruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »
eNorm AP grown in cooler or more southerly places looks different to mine also and more like yours.I am at the fringe of the climate acceptable to atemoya.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
Well, they're finally ripe.  This is my first time tasting an atemoya.

WOW!!! My Geffner just started flowering a couple of weeks ago here in South Florida and yours in SoCal already has mature fruit? Last year mine only gave me a half dozen fruits but this year looks more promising. I have to say though that my Geffner was sweet and not chewy at all, definitely creamy. I hope this stays as it was last year with this crop!
Regards,

Gary

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 04:02:07 PM »
Hi Gary,

I just harvested my last fruit about a week ago.  They all held on the tree over the winter from last year.  I suppose it just takes that long to ripen?  My atemoya is full of flowers right now as well.  Does it just ripen faster in Florida?  Glad to hear that Geffner is creamy and not chewy.  I'd like to try that one one day.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »
I think that waiting for fruit to ripen is like watching a pot of water waiting for it to boil :-) I've gotten to the point that I try to not think about it till they hang low from weight gain so truthfully I can't say how fast they mature. I stopped keeping a spreadsheet on fruit in my yard years ago!

Regards,

Gary

unclecao75

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 09:38:29 PM »

My African Pride in the pot.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:26 PM »
Here are a few two pounders from my trees. My Super African Pride is on the left

Super African Pride,Booth, 2 Pierce and Rosa

unclecao75

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »

My Geffner Atemoya tree....

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »