Author Topic: Wanted Himalayan Mangosteen, and Mexican Mangosteen (Luc's) seeds or plants  (Read 9316 times)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Hi looking for tasty Garcinias that will fruit here in San Diego, I would like larger seedlings, or even seeds.

Thanks,

Mark

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Mark , the Mexican Garcinia fruits in May - June , seeds will be 1 dollar each plus shipping .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Roy-Ind

• View Profile
I searched in http://www.ars-grin.gov/
There is no such Himalayan mangosteen.
Please mention scientific name .There are some Garcinia species in and around Himalayas.
Mexican mangosteen is Garcinia intermedia ?

marklee

• View Profile
Mark , the Mexican Garcinia fruits in May - June , seeds will be 1 dollar each plus shipping .
Great Luc,
I will for sure like to buy a bunch if you can save me on your list.

Thanks Mark

marklee

• View Profile
Please mention scientific name .There are some Garcinia species in and around Himalayas.
Roy here is the scientific name Garcinia xanthochymus. it is also called the false mangosteen.

Roy-Ind

• View Profile
Mark
Garcinia xanthochymus is Mysore gamboge in www.ars-grin.gov.It is also called Sour mangosteen. It can not be tasty.
Your mexican mangosteen probably be Garcinia intermedia(Lemon drop or cherry mangosteen).The fruits have sweet sour taste.
You can grow real Mangosteen(Garcinia mangostana) which has real tasty sweet fruits.For Garcinia,you may contact Sadhu.We have many Garcinia species in India.
Happy new year.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Roy here is the scientific name Garcinia xanthochymus. it is also called the false mangosteen.

Hi Mark,
I can get you some xanthochymus seeds...in Summer ;)

There's a large tree in Funchal that is very productive...been there about two weeeks, the tree was full of small fruit 8)

Here's some old pics I uploaded here on the forum.

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Try to get mundu G. dulcis over the other one as its same but better. Slower growing but still quite tough. I can procure seed now if required.

luc

• View Profile
Re: Wanted Himalayan Mangosteen, and Mexican Mangosteen (Luc's) seeds or plants
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »

Not Garcinia intermedia !!
For your info 350 seeds were planted in India in 2010 , all sprouted and are doing well .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Roy-Ind

• View Profile
Re: Wanted Himalayan Mangosteen, and Mexican Mangosteen (Luc's) seeds or plants
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
Nurseries in Kerala are selling a plant'Baraba'.When I asked about its english name,one told 'Cherry mangosteen'. Cherry mangosteen is found in Mexico. Is it Rheedia edulis? Please tell scientific name of Mexican mangosteen according to you. Is the fruit sweet in taste?

luc

• View Profile
So far nobody came up with a name for this Mexican Rheedia/Garcinia . It is not the R. edulis ( I have this one growing also ) it could be that R. edulis and G. intermedia are the same .

This 'Limoncillo' as the locals call it turns sweet when 100 % ripe , peel is also edible at that stage .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

marklee

• View Profile
Try to get mundu G. dulcis over the other one as its same but better. Slower growing but still quite tough. I can procure seed now if required.
Hi,

I would be interested in the G. Dulcis  from BMc and xanthochymus seeds from Steve. You can pm me or send a message. Thanks,

Mark in California
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:48:27 AM by marklee »

Roy-Ind

• View Profile
Dear Luc
As you said,mexican garcinia is limoncillo.It is not Garcinia intermedia nor Rheedia edulis(Some people say both are same and same say they are different).One article(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3040103/) says that Rheedia edulis  (synonym: Garcinia intermedia) is known as  “waiki-plum” in Belize, “arrayán” or “palo de frutilla” in Guatemala, “chaparrón” in El Salvador, “Caimito” in Honduras, “jorco” in Costa Rica, “sastra” in Panama, and “limoncillo” in Mexico. This species is also cultivated in Brazil and The Philippines where it is known as “limăo do matto” or “berba”, respectively.
There are other two limoncillo's-Cassipourea guianensis and Melicoccus bijugatus.
I request the forum to find out a proper scientific name for Mexican Garcinia (or Rheedia,if it belongs to this)
I wish to grow this.I will give you some seeds from India.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
I request the forum to find out a proper scientific name for Mexican Garcinia (or Rheedia,if it belongs to this)

I think thats the point - there is no scientific name for this species. its a large garcinia (South American, so Rheedia family), which grows in the area around Luc.
Here is a link to the ejardim page for a bit of info that you can run through google translate. http://www.e-jardim.com/produto_completo.asp?IDProduto=361

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Aw, man!  :'( :'(

I liked the scientific name I came up with.... ;D

I guess it never caught on with the taxonomists who name this stuff...how do we convince them?

Its Garcinia vleerackerii
So far nobody came up with a name for this Mexican Rheedia/Garcinia . It is not the R. edulis ( I have this one growing also ) it could be that R. edulis and G. intermedia are the same .

This 'Limoncillo' as the locals call it turns sweet when 100 % ripe , peel is also edible at that stage .
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk