Author Topic: Fast flowering in citrus seedlings  (Read 1155 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Fast flowering in citrus seedlings
« on: October 31, 2018, 07:18:42 PM »
Does anyone use a Japanese method to promote flowering from seedlings in less than two years?
There are techniques used also in Israel borrowed from Japan, but they seem to be secret somehow.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:19:42 AM by lebmung »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Fast flowering in citrus seedlings
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:43:08 PM »
I’ve always been interested in this but I speculated there must be a way to cheat and induce maturity into an immature seedling.  If I remember correctly scientists in Spain did just that using CRISPR.  That was the last I heard of it, and they didn’t respond when I asked for more information. 

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:48:40 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21243.msg260001#msg260001

Here’s the thread with the article.  I suspect this type of hack is the future of selective breeding

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 05:28:39 AM »
That is a huge advancement. However classical breeding will stay for one reason, reluctance to GMO by people. In the EU this year CRISP methods are said to be GMO. So a plant bred through that method will not hit the stores, nor will be distributed to growers.
The study also states that they don't know long term implications of the virus, whether is transmitted through seed or else.
And of course they not sent you anything even if you were in Europe, this is mutation biologic material is considered a hazard and regulated.