Author Topic: ID please - Salak  (Read 1473 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
ID please - Salak
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:32:07 AM »

Purchased this fruit in Bangkok.  The sticker on the packing read as "sala moh" from Luckana farms in Chantaburi. 

Is this Salacca wallichiana?  Also, is this monoecious or dioecious variety?  Thank you.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: ID please - Salak
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:30:12 AM »
It is Salacca wallichiana.This species comes in the more wild types sakum and rakum as well as the improved and cultivated varieties termed Sala.Sala Sane and Sala Moh are common types that are not bad but have a slight medicine taste.Sala noen Wong and Sala sumalee especially are the best for eating and are more expensive in the markets.
Thus what you have is Salacca wallachiana var. Sala Moh. You will need male and female plants with females being produced more frequently from 3 loculed fruit and males from 2 or 1 loculed fruits.

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Re: ID please - Salak
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »
Thanks for the ID Mike.   I was not careful in separating the seeds based on locules.  Now, I have 30 seeds and am going to try germinating all of them. 

I have an uncle who's been growing various including  non native fruit trees in his garden, like avocado,  longan, lychee, star fruit, dragon fruit etc.  The list can go on.   He mentioned that he had tried to grow salak in the past but was unsuccessful.   So, it's a bit of a challenge for me to try to germinate them.