Author Topic: Jackfruit variety's Does fruit size effect flavor and production?  (Read 3030 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I read where some variety's have fruit between 5 and 15 pounds and others are much large 20 to 50 pounds. Would a tree that has smaller fruit produce more sooner? Is there any effect on taste because of size? I have zero experience with this fruit. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit variety's Does fruit size effect flavor and production?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:13:36 PM »
Hi. one of the varieties of Artocarpus heterophyllus is a round, 6" diameter, spineless jackfruit called 'Rudrakshi'. Mostly yellow type but red types are also there. It is less than 3Kg. Tree gets even bigger than the other jackfruit varieties. It tastes the same as other jackfruits. There is a new variety called Kesaramadugu (RHH 10) which is of the same size less than 3 Kg. A seedling will yield fruit within 4 years and some times in 3 years. A grafted one in 2 years.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:13:28 PM »
Lets talk varieties available in the US.

Certain varieties are known to be larger in size.   A smaller fruit from a large size variety could be deficient in edible flesh due to poor pollination. I can't say that is always the case but probably more so than not. Some varieties are naturally smaller in size and will give you the same percentage of flesh as a larger variety.

Mai 1 is known to give one of the highest percentage of flesh. 

Bottom line, whether a big fruit or small fruit, to get the highest percentage of flesh you must have good pollination.  Fruit size shoukd have no effect on taste.  Age if tree may play a role.

In general, seedlings grow much more vigorously than grafted trees and fruit faster.  Seedlings can fruit as early as 3 years, grafted trees tend to take 4-5 years.  Of course, there are always exceptions to the rules...
- Rob

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:29:42 PM »
I don’t know if it’s available in the US since I never hear of it mentioned.  But I got a Jakfruit from Bill Whitman called 'Cochin'. The fruit is very small, 1 kg.  This is a great Jakfruit, yellow, light crunch, very pleasing.
I agree with Rob, grafted jakfruit trees have been very slow to start compared to seedlings.  They’re not easy to graft for me, you don’t save time.
Peter

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 08:50:05 PM »
Cochin are considered "lower quality" compared to some of the main/better ones available here.

From what I have seen, approach grafting is best method.
- Rob

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »
My experience with Cochin is that it is not an easy jak to know when to pick it.  Picked properly it still doesn’t give off much odor but it will get soft and then you open it.  I verified with Richard Campbell that what I have is Cochin and his opinion of it was very positive.
Anyway, it’s the smallest jak I know of and we like it as well as some of the very large ones.
Peter

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »
   (Jackfruit Cultivar Descriptions, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden) This is one that interested me do not know if available in S. Florida or if any good?  Gold Nugget, Australia  Fruit size and weight (pds) Small, 7-12  tree easily pruned to maintain small tree (~8 ft)) Any suggestions?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
   (Jackfruit Cultivar Descriptions, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden) This is one that interested me do not know if available in S. Florida or if any good?  Gold Nugget, Australia  Fruit size and weight (pds) Small, 7-12  tree easily pruned to maintain small tree (~8 ft)) Any suggestions?

Horrible variety.  Fairchild does not recognize most of the better varieties.  Their "newer" varieties they trued to promote over the last few years are near average at their very best.

I have tasted a ripe Cochin, a big pass on quality.   

If you like Tommy Atkins mangoes, than follow Fairchild's jackfruit selections.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:03:30 PM »
Is this a accurate description of this Jackfruit? Mai-1. This Thai variety has oval 25-35 lb fruit; the flesh is extra crispy. Fruit can reach 25 to 30 lb with a golden-yellow skin color. The flesh is crisp, sweet and delicious, with little latex. The tree can be maintained at a height and spread of 8 ft.

If so that is the one i will look for. Thanks Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »
That is pretty close on the Mai 1.  There is a history behind it but bottom line, it was hand selected by Richard Wilson of Excalibur.   

Dont necessarily agree with the size if the tree.  I would say a little bigger but is spreading in habit.  Very heavy producer of fruits that tend to average in the 15-30 pound range.  Flesh is lighter yellow in color, very sweet and aromatic, and crunchy in texture. Laytex on the low side and when properly pollinated, edible flesh (rag not included) is in the 35% range..

Other proven varieties to consider, Bangkok Lemon/Crunchy Lemon (both from Excalibur creations), Red Morning and Mai 3.  I alao like J30 for uts flavor and very low laytex as well as the Berry and Amber seedling.  TMR aka Tony Morris Red is absolutely amazing from the mother tree.  Waiting to try from a grafted tree from the mother tree to see if quality holds true.
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 06:34:41 PM »
Size doesn't matter  ;)   If a tree produces a small fruit and a large fruit, either can taste great.  Generally, a tree that produces small fruit on average will produce a higher quantity of fruit. 

As with mangos, likes and dislikes vary by person. I have eaten excellent gold nuggets.

Eating quality is quite variable on the same tree in the same year. One fruit can be very crisp and another can be less so. Flavor is also variable. One fruit will be well blended sweet and sour and the next can be sickly sweet. Fungus can infect fruits, evidenced by brown streaks or general browning of the core. Sometimes this will affect flavor. I have

Time to fruit can be variable. I have had grafted jaks fruit in 2 years from 3 gal and I have some in the ground close to 8 years and plenty big and no fruit yet. Same with seedlings.

Seedlings do not grow true to seed. I have fruited seedlings from excellent fruit that are terrible. I have a few seedlings that exceeded their parents.  I have fruited 5 seedlings from the same fruit and all 5 fruits were different.

A theory that has been floated on this forum is that if you pick earlier, the fruit will be less sweet and more sour. I am still undecided on this. Generally, I wait until the fruit is soft on the tree. I recently ran a test on my bangkok lemon, which often produces fruit with no sour component. I picked a hard fruit, it took a full week to ripen, and it was still sickly sweet with no sour component. The fruit I had picked a week before, also hard, did have acidity and was well balanced, according the person that consumed it. I have not picked and eaten enough early picked fruits to come to a conclusion if it makes a difference.
Brandon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 07:49:05 PM »
Brandon, were all your experimental seedlings grown in containers or in the ground? If in containers, what was the setup like (i.e., container size, soil type, fertilizer regimen)?

Thanks!

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 09:01:17 PM »
I plant seedlings in the ground and let them do their thing. Two or three trees in close proximity, 2ft apart or in a row 5ft apart. I have never fruited jakfruit in a pot.

Brandon, were all your experimental seedlings grown in containers or in the ground? If in containers, what was the setup like (i.e., container size, soil type, fertilizer regimen)?

Thanks!
Brandon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »
Wow, that's close spacing! I have some spots in the yard I can dedicate to that type of spacing, so may follow your lead. Thanks for the info!

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 09:32:55 PM »
I plant seedlings in the ground and let them do their thing. Two or three trees in close proximity, 2ft apart or in a row 5ft apart. I have never fruited jakfruit in a pot.

Thanks!

Can you post photos?
Zach

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 10:28:55 PM »
Wow, that's close spacing! I have some spots in the yard I can dedicate to that type of spacing, so may follow your lead. Thanks for the info!

Not a smart idea to plant at that spacing.
- Rob

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 11:09:55 PM »

Not a smart idea to plant at that spacing.

What’s the minimum distance you can plant in the dooryard and have a healthy, productive tree?
Zach

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 06:00:42 AM »
Dang it, Rob, you just dashed my dreams of a dense and impenetrable Jackfruit forest!

My thought was I wouldn't keep all--give them two to three years to see which ones produce and which ones make worthwhile fruit and chop down all but the best.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 08:17:21 AM »
There is a big difference in spacing when planting a tree for seedling experimentation. The goal is to fruit the tree and see if it is worth of further testing. If it dies, it is no big deal and I am not expecting more than one or two fruit per year. I plant my grafted jak trees at 15 x 15 spacing. If a seedling is excellent, I graft it onto rootstock and plant it out at 15 x 15.  If you plant a jak tree in a small space, fruiting the small tree will strain the tree and needs to be severely limited. When I said "2 or 3 in close proximity", that is in a 15 x 15 space.  The row of 5 ft apart goes north-south and has plenty of space to both the east and west and full sunlight.
Brandon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »
Treat a jackfruit spacing similar to a moderately vigorous to vigorous mango tree.  I would go no smaller than 12 feet off center spacing in staggered rows (and that could wind up being very tight after a few years).  The more spacing, the better.  I have everything of mine planted at 17 feet off center.

Fir any jackfruit, grafted or seedling, its first couple years or so of fruiting ahould be discounted as to its ultimate quality.
- Rob

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
Thanks for the spacing recommendations, that helps, as does the info on first fruiting! I've actually tried to keep my trees at 20' off center, but I can't seem to stop buying trees and planting seeds and they're slowly inching closer . . .
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:45:17 AM by fliptop »

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 10:18:33 AM »

Thanks!

Do you find that a few trees grown together works better than the rows?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 12:34:19 PM »
That is pretty close on the Mai 1.  There is a history behind it but bottom line, it was hand selected by Richard Wilson of Excalibur.   

Dont necessarily agree with the size if the tree.  I would say a little bigger but is spreading in habit.  Very heavy producer of fruits that tend to average in the 15-30 pound range.  Flesh is lighter yellow in color, very sweet and aromatic, and crunchy in texture. Laytex on the low side and when properly pollinated, edible flesh (rag not included) is in the 35% range..

Other proven varieties to consider, Bangkok Lemon/Crunchy Lemon (both from Excalibur creations), Red Morning and Mai 3.  I alao like J30 for uts flavor and very low laytex as well as the Berry and Amber seedling.  TMR aka Tony Morris Red is absolutely amazing from the mother tree.  Waiting to try from a grafted tree from the mother tree to see if quality holds true.
Rob, do you have a picture to share of your berry seedling fruiting also how big do fruits get? Growing 4 seedlings of your berry seeds.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 01:20:11 PM »
I would guess that rows work better. In one cluster, one of the seedlings significantly outpaced the other.  I cannot feed the slower growing tree without feeding the faster.

Thanks!

Brandon

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2020, 09:08:15 AM »
I would guess that rows work better. In one cluster, one of the seedlings significantly outpaced the other.  I cannot feed the slower growing tree without feeding the faster.

Thanks!

I only ask as where I live I see several different methods on jackfruit, but my vietnamese isn't good enough to find out why the differences. They have rows and each tree 5-7 meters apart. They have jackfruit 1.5 meters apart in a row. They have jackfruit in small clusters, usually 3 to 5 trees together and they seem to become one giant canopy.
Big fan of jackfruit and cut down 2 Giant, like 20-30 meter high jackfruit trees, one to close to my house and one half dead, and want to try out some of the grafter varieties they have for sale around here and thinking of how to space them.