Author Topic: Any one has experience with MicroKote anti root circling compound  (Read 23306 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
I was wondering if any one has tried this product it claims to prevent roots from circling in the pot and at the same time provides minor element nutrition.  Is this  Nirvana for pots??

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Any one has experience with MicroKote anti root circling compound
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
I find it hard to believe , unless it was backed up by solid documented comparisons with and without use.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

randyhighwood

• Detroit, MI, usa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
Hello,
It looks like you have some questions regarding the functions of Microkote. Copper based root pruning agents has been used since the 60's in nursery and greenhouse applications.  MicroKote contains calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese and zinc bound in a latex coating to provide delayed release of the nutrients when the roots reach the sides of the container (available in liquid / treated container / treated fabric bags).  The product works great, you will see no roots circling around the container, because once the root tip makes contact with the inside surface of the container the energy is forced back to the tap root creating a heavily branched (lateral growth) root configuration. If you are interested I could get you a sample to experiment with. Feel free to look at the website for additional information. www.MicroKote.com

These photos are the roots after removing the majority of the soil in the root ball.

Root ball just pulled from containers

-Kyle

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
Kyle, actually I'm experimenting with your product. It would tale to next summer to see how well it works in my environment. I'm also documenting it on video.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

randyhighwood

• Detroit, MI, usa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
Sounds great! I think I recall your order. I took a look at your website, very interesting and full of information. As for MicroKote, are you planting young trees in coated containers? If so, you should Definitely see a difference when you transplant in the field  as all of the roots will establish quickly once they are not restricted by the coating. I am helping my buddy Jay from Hort Specialties make this product more known and widely available. Will your video documentation be available on your youtube channel?  I am certainly interested in seeing the results of your testing.
Thanks and good luck!
Kyle

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
Kyle yes. I'm on my second bottle, it goes a long way. I use it on avocado seedlings in 3 gal pots that will be grafted soon. Some times I up pot to 5 gal. I'm testing the product with those and I also have two Mamey Sapote seeds one in a coated one gal and the other in an un-coated identical pot.
Also I have some avocados in 1 gal coated pot just to see how it works.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ajosin

• NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
Microkote used to be made under the brand-name SpinOut by Griffin L.L.C. until SePRO bought the rights. After the re-branding they added  other metals labeled as "nutrients". In my opinion this is all marketing; the roots will be stopped and not absorb anything near the Microkote layer - so really the only active ingredient is the chemical that stops the roots from growing further (this chemical is copper hydroxide which was the original ingredient in SpinOut).

Microkote is pricey ($28 for 8oz). But you should be able to make your own.

1) Buy some dry Copper(II) Hydroxide, this is used usually as a fungus pestizide. Interestingly, SePro stuff can be bought on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CuPRO-5000DF-Fungicide-Bactericide-61-3-Copper-Hydroxide-SePRO-3lb-foil-bag-/370622313276), this is probably the same stuff they put into Microkote. Other sources are      
KOCIDE 3000 (made by DuPont) or http://kingquenson.en.alibaba.com/productshowimg/424951536-200579235/Copper_hydroxide.html.
2) Dilute the Copper(II) Hydroxide in latex paint. The original SpinOut was made with 13 oz/Gal of Copper(II) Hydroxide (source: http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/28/5/527.6.abstract). Remember to account for the original concentration of dry Copper(II) Hydroxide in the pesticide bag (this is typically 50%, for which you would add 26 oz per Gal of latex paint).

Remember to read all the instructions in the bag when handling pesticides.

This costs about 10x less than buying the Microkote solution which is over-priced and over-marketed (b/c of those extra additive "nutrients") in my opinion.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 09:38:24 AM »
Microkote used to be made under the brand-name SpinOut by Griffin L.L.C. until SePRO bought the rights. After the re-branding they added  other metals labeled as "nutrients". In my opinion this is all marketing; the roots will be stopped and not absorb anything near the Microkote layer - so really the only active ingredient is the chemical that stops the roots from growing further (this chemical is copper hydroxide which was the original ingredient in SpinOut).

Microkote is pricey ($28 for 8oz). But you should be able to make your own.

1) Buy some dry Copper(II) Hydroxide, this is used usually as a fungus pestizide. Interestingly, SePro stuff can be bought on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CuPRO-5000DF-Fungicide-Bactericide-61-3-Copper-Hydroxide-SePRO-3lb-foil-bag-/370622313276), this is probably the same stuff they put into Microkote. Other sources are      
KOCIDE 3000 (made by DuPont) or http://kingquenson.en.alibaba.com/productshowimg/424951536-200579235/Copper_hydroxide.html.
2) Dilute the Copper(II) Hydroxide in latex paint. The original SpinOut was made with 13 oz/Gal of Copper(II) Hydroxide (source: http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/28/5/527.6.abstract). Remember to account for the original concentration of dry Copper(II) Hydroxide in the pesticide bag (this is typically 50%, for which you would add 26 oz per Gal of latex paint).

Remember to read all the instructions in the bag when handling pesticides.

This costs about 10x less than buying the Microkote solution which is over-priced and over-marketed (b/c of those extra additive "nutrients") in my opinion.

EXCELLENT info!  Thanks!!!

And FWIW, I've been using Griffin's for many years and wouldn't be without it.  Now this gives me a choice for saving money by making the concoction myself.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 02:38:46 PM »
I am curious how copper bottom paint for boats would work?  There are various amounts of copper available, the paint can be soft or a hard epoxy.  Both keep marine plant growth off the bottom of boats kept in the water and are readily obtained.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
I am curious how copper bottom paint for boats would work?  There are various amounts of copper available, the paint can be soft or a hard epoxy.  Both keep marine plant growth off the bottom of boats kept in the water and are readily obtained.

There's only one way to find out Jack.......

Steve in Los Osos

• USA, CA, Central Coast, USDA 10a/Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 06:25:19 PM »
I've been so impressed with the growth of my new crop of papayas this year using Micro-Kote that I've started to use it for all of my plants that have to live in containers. I've never seen such sturdy and rapid growth for greenhouse papayas in my less-than-favorable climate (that's putting it mildly). Now if I can only nurse them through the coming Winter.......

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 09:09:14 PM »
Carlos, I had no problems with the roots circling the pot, when I planted the 'Jan Boyce' avocado that you gave me, so I suppose that it works.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
Leo was that Jan Boyce pot coated?
I continue to use the product. Now comes in quart size, more economical. I use it now all the time. I put in the field 3 trees I uppoted from 3 gallons into 5. The root ball was incredible not one single root circling. ZERO transplant shock.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
I continue to use the product. Now comes in quart size, more economical. I use it now all the time. I put in the field 3 trees I uppoted from 3 gallons into 5. The root ball was incredible not one single root circling. ZERO transplant shock.

Carlos, humor me, please try that Griffin's I sent you.   3 light coats and you're good to go.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
I have that set aside for a special project on 15 gal pots.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
I have that set aside for a special project on 15 gal pots.

Bueno, should do about 3 or more.

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 11:19:58 AM »
Jack,

I'd be a little worried about some of the other compounds in the bottom paint.  That stuff is pretty tough and I think some of the chemicals are toxic to humans if not plants.  Most of them, as far as I know, are catalyzed or oil based.  I think it’s best to use water-based latex paint and mix in the copper.

Sven

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 12:01:50 AM »

That's what you told me before you gave me the 'Jan Boyce' potted avocado backup tree, and I believe it, I did not notice any roots circling the pot at the moment I planted it. The tree so far is doing great. The leaves have a healthy, somewhat beautiful, reddish coloration that I've never seen before.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
I was wondering if any one has tried this product it claims to prevent roots from circling in the pot and at the same time provides minor element nutrition.  Is this  Nirvana for pots??

Carlos how are your experiences with the Microkote now?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »
I keep using it  and I find it very useful. It does what it says. Great tool to make great roots.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
I keep using it  and I find it very useful. It does what it says. Great tool to make great roots.

Have you tried the Griffin's I sent you?

I've pretty much given up on regular pots unless it's trivial stuff like starting herbs or tomato transplants. 

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »
I will try the homemade microkote with copper in some big pots.  Mark does microkote have the same effect as rootbuilder pots? Or is rootbuilder better?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »
Jack,

I'd be a little worried about some of the other compounds in the bottom paint.  That stuff is pretty tough and I think some of the chemicals are toxic to humans if not plants.  Most of them, as far as I know, are catalyzed or oil based.  I think it’s best to use water-based latex paint and mix in the copper.

Sven

Agreed, my concern would also be leeching.  Doesn't mean that it does any more so than Microkote.  No information available, I'd hold off.  Not a bad idea tho.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »
Agreed, my concern would also be leeching.  Doesn't mean that it does any more so than Microkote.  No information available, I'd hold off.  Not a bad idea tho.

Info is available but you must go to the right sources, folks that have experience with the product, not folks who are give opinions with no facts.   It doesn't leech and the copper salts/ions do not translocate into the plant.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:33:28 PM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 02:30:55 PM »
I will try the homemade microkote with copper in some big pots.  Mark does microkote have the same effect as rootbuilder pots? Or is rootbuilder better?

MicroKote aka Griffin's Spin-Out is a sure bet.  Not sure on the Rootbuilder until I add another panel.  I jumped the gun on others I've done and there were few roots at the pot walls.  No spin out noted though.