Author Topic: Makok sapodilla! one of the best for container in Central FL  (Read 28576 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Makok sapodilla! one of the best for container in Central FL
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »
Seems like most of the time, lots of nutrition can be found in the skin of a fruit, and beneficial qualities that aren't present in the flesh.

Like for instance...cherries (skins have lots of antioxidants and a great to eat in quantity) then, Jaboticaba skin (don't eat too much, but its great on the right species and has antioxidants, plus medicinal qualities, not found in pulp)...or Mango (watch your butt,  I'm sure there is a benefit to some from eating this edible skin, but it can kill some with allergies)...there is a reason for a fruit to have an edible skin...and a reason for the palatability of each fruit skin.

Sapodilla skin is edible and highly palatable.

I enjoy it thoroughly...and you will learn that in Central and South America, and places of this fruit trees origin...the locals not only chew the sap ( origins of all gum ), they eat the skin of the fruit.

I hope you ate your wheaties today...because you maybe throwing away the most nutritious portions of some of your meals.

Most commonly available large fruited varieties (near me in Central FL markets), are just not as sweet and nice as a small makok.

I've had an amazingly nice tasting large sapodilla..I don't remember the cultivar though...it was planted at the broward rare fruit councils garden, and the fruit had a much lighter colored flesh...no grit, and a large round shape.

I think another reason I enjoy the small fruits is because I eat them skin and all...sapodilla skin is like a potato skin to me...the best part sometimes!

So I agree to disagree, even with myself.

As long as its sweet, I'll eat one, and love it.

NOW this brings me to my next question...

what if there was a cultivar capable of producing pantin Mamey sapote sized sapodillas?

(I'd like to see a world record pic of sapodilla come to think of it!)

and conversely, what if there is a cultivar capable of producing sapodillas sweet as sugar with no grit, about the size of a extra large strawberry....and it produced loads of fruits???

which would you want??

I would probably want both!

or the one I could grow in a pot, and/or keep dwarf, and also have an extended season if possible.

rob,

I disagree.

the fruits are easy to sell and ship...and also less of a commitment to a buyer.

I prefer smaller sapodilla for selling and eating.
I am going to have to disagree with your disagreement :P ...as I see this on a weekly basis.  Most customers do not want the small Silas Woods.

I agree with Rob's disagreement.  If I'm going to wait for a sapodilla to ripen, I'd like it to be more than two bites.   My 4-6 ounce Alanos tease me.  Sapodillas should really be the size of a large tangelo
Tikal, Molix and Hasya can all get quite large.  Very similar to a Pantin mamey.  We actually recently picked and weighed a Tikal that came in at 2.25 pounds.  Both the Morena and Tikal, along with Silas Woods, tend to have a lighter/whiter colored flesh (though with a slight red streaking to them).

Eating the skin...that is not only disgustuing but flat out wrong
:( :-[ :-\ :blank:
I hear where you are coming from but I, myself, draw the line with eating the skin of certain fruits (even though some may have nutrition, some humans are not able to digest certain skins, it is like the "corn factor"  :-[ ).
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
BSbullie you never cease to amuse me.

sapodilla skin won't show up in your stool like corn kernels...those are pretty much indigestible and have almost no nutritional value.

Sapodilla skin on the the other hand, is comparable to the skin of a peach...totally digestible, and nutritious.

Cowboy up, and accept that you may have learned a new way to eat sapodilla?

Or just niggardly regard the skin of sapodilla as being worthless as the corn in the toilet.

That's how I regard some things in life as well.    ;)  :blank:
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

natsgarden123

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
BSbullie you never cease to amuse me.

sapodilla skin won't show up in your stool like corn kernels...those are pretty much indigestible and have almost no nutritional value.

Sapodilla skin on the the other hand, is comparable to the skin of a peach...totally digestible, and nutritious.

Cowboy up, and accept that you may have learned a new way to eat sapodilla?

Or just niggardly regard the skin of sapodilla as being worthless as the corn in the toilet.

That's how I regard some things in life as well.    ;)  :blank:

You need to be careful about the use of some words: check out this link on a controversial word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

With that said, I agree with Rob- Sapodilla Skin = Yuck, but to each his own

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
The two words you seem to be comparing are etymologically unrelated.

Agree with Rob all u want, but he said eating the skin is wrong...which in fact, it could be argued that discarding the skin is wasteful, and giving little credit to (niggardly regarding) a valuable food item.

with that said, I disagree with you and Rob, and you and Rob seem to disagree with the individuals who first consumed this fruit...and devoured it's thin edible skin.

So in turn, such a discriminating frame of mind concerning edible fruits, is to me not only disgustingly wasteful, but flat out wrong.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:46:04 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
The two words you seem to be comparing are etymologically unrelated.

Agree with Rob all u want, but he said eating the skin is wrong...which in fact, it could be argued that discarding the skin is wasteful, and giving little credit to (niggardly regarding) a valuable food item.

with that said, I disagree with you and Rob, and you and Rob seem to disagree with the individuals who first consumed this fruit...and devoured it's thin edible skin.

So in turn, such a discriminating frame of mind concerning edible fruits, is to me not only disgustingly wasteful, but flat out wrong.  ;)
take things out of context all you want, but my statement was a saying, "thats just wrong"...not meaning you are wrong if YOU choose to eat the skin but that in MY opinion, eating sap skin is disgusting.  Just like in MY opinion, eating mango skin is disgusting.   I would not make the blanket statement that not eating the skin is wasteful.  Oh, and I do not eat carambola seeds either,

There are plenty of ways to get nutrition that I do not need to consume sapodilla skin.  I have a feeling you might be in the minority here.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »
 :'(
must be all the chemicals sprayed on those sapodilla you've been eating from your favorite nurseries.

Have you had some of your own home grown ones lately?

I find growing them yourself makes for a tastier fruit.  ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

natsgarden123

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
must be all the chemicals sprayed on those sapodilla you've been eating from your favorite nurseries.

Uh, never had a home grown Sapodilla...what a novel idea...maybe I'll plant some trees...  :o   

I just don't like the skin and you ( and others I'm sure)do. It doesnt matter does it? To each his own liking.    As far as wastefulness: Another way to avoid waste is to put the skins in the compost pile....   

As far as word semantics go, using words that could , by some, "sound offensive" isnt very sensitive.  There are quite a few people who might, right or wrong etymologically speaking, take offense.  So why not chose other words...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 04:30:09 PM »
Because I'm not a coward or a racist, and this is a word I've been using for almost 20yrs.

I've been living with the same black woman for 4 yrs.

You have to be able to draw the line at some point, but I'm not scared to use words that have different etymological origins, but similar sounding pronunciations.

Don't go telling my good buddy Dick, that his mom should have chosen another name...and don't say the same thing to my other pal Jesus.  Or tell me to rename my ballcock valve for my toilet.

Just learn to live with noises (words)  that might falsely alarm you, and know their true meanings.  You'll live a life of less offense taken, and false alarms.  Although you may offend others at times no doubt (that goes without question), but at least you'll be honest and have more words to use.

Uh, never had a home grown Sapodilla...what a novel idea...maybe I'll plant some trees...  :o   

I just don't like the skin and you ( and others I'm sure)do. It doesnt matter does it? To each his own liking.    As far as wastefulness: Another way to avoid waste is to put the skins in the compost pile....   

As far as word semantics go, using words that could , by some, "sound offensive" isnt very sensitive.  There are quite a few people who might, right or wrong etymologically speaking, take offense.  So why not chose other words...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:35:45 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »
Just out of curiosity?

did you even know the skin was edible?

I didn't until about 2yrs ago, when I was at Robert is Here, and Robert's son pointed the fact out to me.

As they sold me a nice 2lb Red annona reticulata, that was mislabeled as an Illama...you would have got a kick out of me trying to explain myself to Robert that his illama was labeled wrong.  ;D

they finally did get the point before I left...I took about 5 min of explaining.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:47:33 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

natsgarden123

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »
Just out of curiosity?

did you even know the skin was edible?

I didn't until about 2yrs ago, when I was at Robert is Here, and Robert's son pointed the fact out to me.

As they sold me a nice 2lb Red annona reticulata, that was mislabeled as an Illama...you would have got a kick out of me trying to explain myself to Robert that his illama was labeled wrong.  ;D

they finally did get the point before I left...I took about 5 min of explaining.

I have tasted the skin-  I have tried eating a sapodilla ( my alano tree gave me pretty small fruits) w/out peeling- I really don't like the taste or texture at all.   BUT, everyone has his own opinion.       

I don't  know how old you are but this whole discussion reminds me of  an episode of The Odd Couple:   Felix and Oscar were at a health farm . The health farm director put everyone on an insane starvation diet plan: Only the banana skin was allowed to be eaten because it was "that part which had all the nutrition" 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
U got me on that one.

maybe you'll have to link the video off topic.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
Maybe the confusion here is between what is edible and what is palatable? I think edible can perhaps be right and wrong, but palatable can't be right and wrong. What is palatable is only a person's opinion, or a group's (as in a culture's) opinion. But opinions can't be right or wrong.
Do i personally eat the skin of sapodilla? Gee, now i forgot, i got so consumed by the argument! HAHAHA
In general i do try to eat the skins of fruits because it's true they're often quite nutritious (as in apples or even potatoes). But obviously this is not true of all fruits. But i don't force myself if i don't like them. I won't eat banana peels, for example, even if my chickens like it. My horse loved them! I saved them for my horse. She appreciated that!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »
I have about 5 makok trees...and this one is the shortest!  I got it at the Broward Co Rare Fruit sale, about 3yrs ago...and its been one of my favorite trees.

The ones I got from Zilll grow twice as tall, and much more lanky.  I wonder if this is a difference of rootstock? 
Here is my favorite sapodilla tree...a little moldy with soot, but has a nice crop, and will grow right out of it.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »
Yah, the makok is one of my favorites, not necessarily for flavor, but for all-around awesome-ness. It's dwarf, it's highly precocious, it bears year round, and it's incredibly productive, and if you're a sweet tooth, the brix on those babies must be off the charts.

The biggest problem I have with my makok is that the stupid raccoons eat 1/2 of the fruit. In a way it's humorous because our resident raccoon has a sweet tooth. He normally only eats the carrie mangoes and the makok sapodillas. He doesn't generally eat much of anything else. Recently I put a trash can with a hollowed out bottom over the trunk in hopes that it will keep him from scaling the makok.

I have about 5 makok trees...and this one is the shortest!  I got it at the Broward Co Rare Fruit sale, about 3yrs ago...and its been one of my favorite trees.

The ones I got from Zilll grow twice as tall, and much more lanky.  I wonder if this is a difference of rootstock? 
Here is my favorite sapodilla tree...a little moldy with soot, but has a nice crop, and will grow right out of it.

Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »

funny you mention that cause I do not see any dwarfness (if its such a word) in any of the Makoks at Excalibur.  I also see variability in size of fruit and in my opinion, they are definitely not the sweetest.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
Makok here is definitely dwarf, about 1/3 the size of other 2 trees i planted at same time, Sao Manila and Krasuey.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
My 8 - 9 year old makok is barely 12 feet tall and 5 feet wide. Most sapodillas, once they root out, will grow much faster than that.

funny you mention that cause I do not see any dwarfness (if its such a word) in any of the Makoks at Excalibur.  I also see variability in size of fruit and in my opinion, they are definitely not the sweetest.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »
I wonder if it would dwarf a larger cultivar, to graft onto Makok as rootstock?

or if there is a dwarfing rootstock for sapodilla
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
I don't know. I have a feeling that the highly precocious and highly productive nature of the makok is what leads to the dwarfness, since so much energy is expended on fruiting vs growing.

My brother-in-law in El Salvador has a makok that he grafted from my tree. In his volcanic soil, the tree bears ridiculous quantities of fruit. It looked as if literally every single flower turned into a fruit. I was blown away when I saw it.

I wonder if it would dwarf a larger cultivar, to graft onto Makok as rootstock?

or if there is a dwarfing rootstock for sapodilla

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 07:14:07 PM »
cookiemon,

how do u think a Silas wood / Makok cocktail tree would work out ?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »
They are pretty close, but I wonder if the silas would overtake the makok? My silas trees (in pots) don't seem to be nearly as productive as makok, which is odd because Treehouse said it was super productive. Wonder if it needs some cross pollination or something?

The silas are super delicious though -- smooth white honey flesh. I'm actually planning to plant a silas right next to my makok.

cookiemon,

how do u think a Silas wood / Makok cocktail tree would work out ?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
I think I'll try to make a few cocktail trees...I'd like to have the two varieties on one tree, growing in a large pot.  I want to maximize variety, and minimize the size of my trees.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. The only thing that sucks about grafting sapodillas is the painfully slow growth rate. Unless you're Gary Zill.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »
All of the SW I have seen are super productive and seem to be more "dwarfish" than the Makok.  The one drawback, ok, actually two drawbacks are (other than I am not fond of the small fruited Saps...would much prefer a Morena, Hasya, Ox, Ofour, Excalibur, Alano, etc.):
1. - similar to Jenn's comment, it has much less of that brown sugar flavor; I refer to it as a :white sugar pear" whereas most to all others can be coined "brown sugar pear".
2. - the SW branches seem to be more brittle; I have seen a number of branches overloaded by the fruit (again, a smaller fruit), snap from the weight of the fruit.

- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Can you post a pic of the excalibur silas trees? I'm curious to see what a really productive one looks like.

Flavor-wise, it's one of my favorites because it lacks that musky brown sugar / panela flavor. Tastes more like honey to me.

Makok branches are like rubber.

All of the SW I have seen are super productive and seem to be more "dwarfish" than the Makok.  The one drawback, ok, actually two drawbacks are (other than I am not fond of the small fruited Saps...would much prefer a Morena, Hasya, Ox, Ofour, Excalibur, Alano, etc.):
1. - similar to Jenn's comment, it has much less of that brown sugar flavor; I refer to it as a :white sugar pear" whereas most to all others can be coined "brown sugar pear".
2. - the SW branches seem to be more brittle; I have seen a number of branches overloaded by the fruit (again, a smaller fruit), snap from the weight of the fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk