Author Topic: Eugenia florida... another very interesting myrtaceae with tasty fruits  (Read 9807 times)

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
Hello all,

This is another rare and very interesting Eugenia species that I've never saw discussed here before so here are my comments now:

The plant is beautiful with very nice big leaves and a nice red color on new leaves... in fact the size and looks of this species leaves remind me more of some Syzygium spp. than the Eugenias spp. type of leaves which are usually smaller...

The fruits are blueberry sized but should be numerous to compensate, although my plant is still very young so for now I don't have so many as I would like... but the flavor is very, very good!.. in fact I rate this one as one of the tastiest Eugenias I have... the seeds are also very small so the flesh to seed ratio is good also...

In conclusion I consider this one as a "must have" Eugenia spp. in any decent myrtaceae collection... and I only understand the "not so good opinion" of Lorenzi on his book  if he his referring to the relatively small size of these fruits... I didn't noted any astringency on these fruits but I let them became totally black before harvest and for me the fruits on the Lorenzi book photos seem all unripe... maybe they are astringent while red but I can't confirm that for now...  or I just had good luck and have a better strain of this one here!

Any other experiences with this one out there?

Enjoy the photos.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia florida... another very interesting myrtaceae with tasty fruits
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »
Those are nice looking fruits Miguel, thanks for sharing.  How long did it take for it to fruit from seed, how does it handle winter and lastly where did you source your seeds (if I may ask)?

Congrats on another incredible myrtaceae!

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »
Those are nice looking fruits Miguel, thanks for sharing.  How long did it take for it to fruit from seed, how does it handle winter and lastly where did you source your seeds (if I may ask)?

Congrats on another incredible myrtaceae!

I believe it just took 4 years from seed to first fruits even if I had it half abandoned sometime... Helton was the original source for these seeds.

Here I have minimum winter temperatures of minus 5 or minus 6 degrees Celsius outside (9a climate) that gives me at least minus 3 Celsius inside my unheated GH (climate 9b)... this is the reason why I put two climate zones on my forum signature... just to give you an idea of my climate conditions here I can tell you that outside I've already killed several white sapotes and annonas cherimoyas... but inside the GH they all grow very well...

This one is inside the GH so it handles these minimums of -3ºC every winter and it doesn't seem to suffer at all... someday I intend to test it outside... in fact I want to do this to most of the species I'm growing to try to select those suited to a 9a climate

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »
thanks for the info Miguel!

I have these growing and they're very beautiful trees.

my friends tree is in a 15 gal pot, about 10ft tall, but it hasn't fruited yet!

I think it's almost there...so to speed up my wait, I grafted one of my seedlings with a scion from his tree.

I never trust the brazilian fruits descriptions!  they're ass backwards sometimes.  Im glad to hear you like this one!  it grows easily in FL...just a little sensitive to hard freezes, but recovers like a guava.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
Sorry, but do you mean E. foetida or E. floribunda or is this something else completely?
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
Sorry, but do you mean E. foetida or E. floribunda or is this something else completely?

it's botanical name is Eugenia florida...but it's from Brazil.

it's meant to be...you should grow this in FL..lol

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »

Different species. E. florida has lots of synonyms. but none of the ones you list:
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-75234
I'd heard from other people in Brazil that E. florida is not a great fruit, so your evaluation surprises me. It's possible you have a superior strain.
Oscar

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »

Hello David

this is a Brazilian species... see page 197 of Lorenzi blue book "Brasilian Fruits"

In Portuguese the word "florida" could be understood like "lots of flowers"... don't know if it has something to do with the nomenclature of this species???

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
That will teach me...

I know Harri Lorenzi personally and esteem him highly , so based on his description I decided not to grow the E. florida ...among a few others .

Damn...they would have been fruiting now , I was offered seeds in 2006 but declined .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
 Hi,

I also have one Eugenia florida plant from seeds I got from Helton.
 It only set a few fruits, a couple of years ago, but I also thought they
 were excellent, except for their small size. I also like they dark maroon
 new leaves that flush all at the same time.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:51:06 AM by siafu »
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
Would love to get some seeds to grow in california. Brush cherry  (eugenia myrtifolia, now syzigium australe?), which we have everywhere in san diego, is nice looking and edible, but not great. I'd like to have something similar with good tasting fruit.
Shane

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 05:40:08 PM »
That fibbing Lorenzi was the burr under the saddle for my E.florida acquisition.I refused a kind offer because I only want Eugenias that are nice to eat.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
for those who cant find seeds, if you can find someone with scions, i bet this is compatible with syzigium cumini...which is fairly common.

BTW Miguel,

I was under the impression that this species not rare, but is quite common in brazil?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »
Miguel,

Thanks for posting about this Eugenia. It looks very interesting and like something I'd like to have in my collection some day.

Richard

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:19:33 AM »
Miguel,

Thanks for posting about this Eugenia. It looks very interesting and like something I'd like to have in my collection some day.

Richard

me too, obviously, I would like to have any good eugenia.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »
Miguel,

Richard

me too, obviously, I would like to have any good eugenia.
Me too!!!  ;D ;D ;D

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 09:15:10 PM »
I have three trees that are two years old and they grow really fast, I moved them to 5 gallon buckets and they grew more than 6 feet(2m). They look a lot like jambulan to me but narrower leaves. The stems are really soft and they fall over really easier.  I can post some photos later. I have been away for a year and they grew faster than almost any species. Can't wait to eventually try fruit.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
grafted Eugenia florida ....seems to be growing nice and bushy....the seedlings I had were much taller....it would be interesting to see what other rootstocks work for this species....Soon I'd like to try Syzygium cumini (jambolin).

also would be nice to find a superior selection.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
My E.florida are a few months old now and are at a fork in the road.If the fruit is good and worthwhile it will be a cheery future.Does anyone actually know about fruit quality? I also have no idea about E,longiracemosa that is popping up as well.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile

If mine serves as reference, E. florida fruits are tasty but tiny. It's been a while since it last
 fruited but I'd say the fruits are about the size of chick peas and the seed is about half of that...
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
My E.florida are a few months old now and are at a fork in the road.If the fruit is good and worthwhile it will be a cheery future.Does anyone actually know about fruit quality? I also have no idea about E,longiracemosa that is popping up as well.
I guess quality of E. florida will depend who you got the seeds from? Miguel at beginning of this thread calls them a "must have". Others have told me this is tiny and worthless fruit, mostly for birds. I think Adam has it right in looking for superior selections as with most fruit some inside same species are going to be better than others.
Oscar

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 03:11:18 AM »
Hello again,

Sorry for my disappearance but I've been working more than I should and time is short for everything.
My apologies to all forum members & friends that contacted me these last weeks/months and didn't get any answer ... I will try now to update all things.

Here are one pic of my 2014 Eugenia florida fruits ... in fact they are in season right now... much more fruits than last year but still a limited supply... I will be offering seeds of this one on the "sell & trade" section of this forum... please contact me privately if interested.

best regards.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »
my grafted tree started to flower this year, at about 5 ft tall....

I'm excited to see if it sets any fruits...and if the quality is good!

it's such a beautiful tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
my grafted tree flowered and made fruits this year...(took about 2yrs from grafting)

they were about 1/2 the size of Miguel's fruits, but keep in mind my tree was neglected, and we had a pretty bad drought.

Hoping it keeps pumping out the fruits...the taste was decent, but the fruit was so small, and I had to pick it early to beat the birds...so I don't think the fruit was a good representative (unlike Miguel's!)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com