Author Topic: Update on Russells Sweet Garcinia  (Read 38892 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Update on Russells Sweet Garcinia
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
Those look like the fruit I got at CATIE, I have to see if I can find pictures of that fruit

is that what you gave me some seedlings of?

your description sounded exactly like russel sweet to me....

if I remember you said it basically looks like xanthochymus, but fruits are sweet....
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2015, 05:49:09 PM »
Oscar you and Tomas expressed an interest in it since it was first posted and when I get seeds  (if ever) the first are to you guys.It should not be this hard to identify being large,spherical, with smooth orange skin and having a sweet taste.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »
Oscar you and Tomas expressed an interest in it since it was first posted and when I get seeds  (if ever) the first are to you guys.It should not be this hard to identify being large,spherical, with smooth orange skin and having a sweet taste.

Ok thanks. You eventually came through on the effervescent Durio macrantha, so i'm sure you'll come up with this mirage also.  ;)
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2015, 09:34:46 PM »
Somebody is going to be offended by my post, but I believe such rare and precious seeds should not be send to people in temperate climates to play around with. Send them to forum members with appropriate climate, let this species get established and than everyone can have fun with the seeds as much as they want years down the road.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
Somebody is going to be offended by my post, but I believe such rare and precious seeds should not be send to people in temperate climates to play around with. Send them to forum members with appropriate climate, let this species get established and than everyone can have fun with the seeds as much as they want years down the road.

lol...it's like being racist towards people in temperate climates... :P

I understand not sending seeds to the arctic...

but there are some people with greenhouses in temperate climates who might have a better chance of keeping this species alive, than those who are planting them in-ground at a tropical location.

also, I don't think the russels sweet would be extremely cold sensitive...it may be able to hand temps below 32F quite easily.

(lol i'm not saying all this because i want seeds!  I've got too many plants to deal with as is!)  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:35:10 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

Mike, will it fruit soon? ;)

the seedlings from DavidG look like Felipe's seedling...

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2015, 08:38:51 PM »
It doesn't seem to be any less hardy than the other yellow garcinias. I did manage to kill one though, but that was to do with clay soil in its original pot and the soil sticking to the pot and he roots basically tearing apart as it came out of the pot. Tragic.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »
Ok..the seedling david has looks like Felipe's ...not like mikes...

Mikes tree has very prominent nerves

My Russell's Sweet is about 4 feet tall now and growing well. Maybe a Garcinia expert can tell by the young growth pattern if it closely resembles G.dulcis. Maybe it is actually a form of dulcis in spite of what those in the know have been telling me.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2015, 12:52:50 AM »
Okay, ya I hadn't seen those pcitures
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »

David,
Based on the description of what u tasted, it sounds like a plant I want to grow!

Like g xanthochymus but sweet (yet still having an acid balance)?

I'll take it!

Thanks for sharing some of your seedlings with me.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2015, 01:05:15 AM »

David,
Based on the description of what u tasted, it sounds like a plant I want to grow!

Like g xanthochymus but sweet (yet still having an acid balance)?

I'll take it!

Thanks for sharing some of your seedlings with me.

Like g xanthochymus but sweet (yet still having an acid balance) = Most probably G. dulcis.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2015, 01:07:56 AM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2015, 01:12:44 AM »
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4012/4347313434_6c2141bbf5_z.jpg

Check out these fruits

Those garcinias look at first glance a lot like mangoes!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2015, 01:13:46 AM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2015, 01:19:21 AM »
Well I must admit that I'm in a cold climate. Though I find that my ability to grow tropical plants can rival that of someone who lives in a tropical climate. I agree with what ASaffron said... Ultimately, Mike when you one day in the far off future, reach my name on the list, you can easily pass up on sharing, if you want to spread this to warmer climates prior to colder. I won't be offended. :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2015, 01:53:50 AM »
It all depends on how many seeds of something you can get and if they are already around.The broad leaf papaya ornbig abius could be spread around because there were many seeds. Durio macrantha, borneo mangosteen and gold/pink starapples had limited numbers of seeds so not many could be shared.If I get more next season it could be different.It is looking unlikely that I will be rolling in bathtubs full of seeds from this Garcinia so working on a distribution plan might be premature.When my tree fruits the seeds will be be like global plankton and spread.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »

but there are some people with greenhouses in temperate climates who might have a better chance of keeping this species alive, than those who are planting them in-ground at a tropical location.

also, I don't think the russels sweet would be extremely cold sensitive...it may be able to hand temps below 32F quite easily.

(lol i'm not saying all this because i want seeds!  I've got too many plants to deal with as is!)  ;D

That's the whole point. Keeping them alive is one thing, getting big tropical trees to fruit is temperate climates with limited facilities is different matter altogether. If my memory serves me well, only ohiojay fruited serious stuff.  At this point in history it is about preserving species close to extinction.
After watching this forum for few years, I notice majority of apartment growers completely disappear at some point. If there was somebody wanting durio macrantha in Hawaii and did not get it, then it had no business to end up in central Texas. Future of Durio macrantha is still in fragile shape. (full disclosure: I never asked Mike T for durio macrantha or Russells garcinia)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »

That's the whole point. Keeping them alive is one thing, getting big tropical trees to fruit is temperate climates with limited facilities is different matter altogether. If my memory serves me well, only ohiojay fruited serious stuff.  At this point in history it is about preserving species close to extinction.
After watching this forum for few years, I notice majority of apartment growers completely disappear at some point. If there was somebody wanting durio macrantha in Hawaii and did not get it, then it had no business to end up in central Texas. Future of Durio macrantha is still in fragile shape. (full disclosure: I never asked Mike T for durio macrantha or Russells garcinia)

The right grower in a temperate region (like central FL) could grow the plant in a pot, and graft scions onto xanthochymus, and replicate the plant many times before a grower in the tropics who doesn't know how to graft...or doesn't have access to rootstock.

It is the man/woman growing the plant that matters, not his/her location.

But for durio I agree with you....I don't think it will stay alive too long in a greenhouse....and chances are there is not a person who has a facitly that would accommodate its needs in the temperate regions of the world
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:43:40 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 11:53:51 AM »
Please don't downgrade yourself. You are well in subtropics.

In your particular case it makes sense, because you are a grafter and a nursery man stone throw away from many clients in more tropical SFL. It is different from every John and Jane requesting near extinct species to grow in New York just for the heck of it. Besides, I was  re-reading thread from beginning and it seems like there is a need for male tree to produce ( Mike T gave conflicting info in separate posts) further complicating multiplying seedling by grafting concept and the whole idea of growing at least two specimens in temperate climate successfully to fruiting stage.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2015, 12:15:48 PM »
Please don't downgrade yourself. You are well in subtropics.

In your particular case it makes sense, because you are a grafter and a nursery man stone throw away from many clients in more tropical SFL. It is different from every John and Jane requesting near extinct species to grow in New York just for the heck of it. Besides, I was  re-reading thread from beginning and it seems like there is a need for male tree to produce ( Mike T gave conflicting info in separate posts) further complicating multiplying seedling by grafting concept and the whole idea of growing at least two specimens in temperate climate successfully to fruiting stage.

very true!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2015, 01:15:06 AM »

The right grower in a temperate region (like central FL) could grow the plant in a pot, and graft scions onto xanthochymus, and replicate the plant many times before a grower in the tropics who doesn't know how to graft...or doesn't have access to rootstock.

It is the man/woman growing the plant that matters, not his/her location.

But for durio I agree with you....I don't think it will stay alive too long in a greenhouse....and chances are there is not a person who has a facitly that would accommodate its needs in the temperate regions of the world

Didn't you sacrifice your Durio macranthas by leaving them outdoors during chilly period?  :'(
BTW, i think Mike T has enough smarts to know who's a good candidate to fruit rare materials and who isn't.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2015, 01:21:54 AM »
Oscar,

I tested the macrantha by letting it get about 39F...it was actually in the greenhouse.

Sorry I let them die...you can take me off the list for any durio species in the future!

Someone was kind enough to share a few seeds with me...but I did not contact mike for seed.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2015, 02:05:41 AM »
Oscar,

I tested the macrantha by letting it get about 39F...it was actually in the greenhouse.

Sorry I let them die...you can take me off the list for any durio species in the future!

Someone was kind enough to share a few seeds with me...but I did not contact mike for seed.

Despite Mike's optimism truth is durians are not very well suited for Florida. It's not just the cold, it's also the alkaline soils, shallow soils, high water table, and frequent hurricanes. Russell's Sweet has much better chance in Florida.
Oscar

jimreevescairns

• Cairns, Far North Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »
Hi Mike
PM sent
Regards
Jim

Mike T

• Zone 12a