Author Topic: Mulch problem - need your help  (Read 4616 times)

CAdreamer

• Redwood City, CA, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Mulch problem - need your help
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 05:07:28 PM »
It seems so strange your the city would complain as California is pushing the removal of turf.  I used the state program for rebate to remove my lawn and cover my front yard with mulch and drought tolerant plants.    I did use large river rock as edging between the mulch and the sidewalk.  It helps keep mulch in the yard and gives a more finished look.    You could also look up some of the other cases where there were issues with garden in front yards and how they were resolved.   I remember hearing Sacramento change their code to have edibles allowable in the front yard.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 05:47:15 PM »
Here is what I did, hedge and California native plants, covering my side yard full of fruit trees.  All these areas were grass at one time.

And front side yard gets covered by big cherimoya tree. This time it gets exposed due to pruning. I need to clean up more, landscaper would do today.

minh

• Cerritos, CA 90703
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
@Cookie Monster : I wish Cerritos has that program.  If it did, I would be in a better place :)  I remember you have about 1000+ cubic yard of mulch added to your property?  My current count is about 70 yards.

@seanny : I used to have those black edging around the trees but the trees outgrew it.

@sahai1 : You remind me of those guys from Primitive Technology on youtube.  Haha.  They can dig a huge hole with just a sharp stick!  Crazy.

@Behl : Your front yard looks great!  I bet you have a lust tropical forest hiding behind your wall.

The city enforcement officer came out today to see what I did to the yard.  I moved the dead leaves under the lychee tree to the longan tree and he seems ok with it since it is no longer visible from the street.  I also tidy up the yard by raking the mulch to spread it more evenly.  He told me to add more ground cover to the area under the mango trees and he will pull my public hearing from the city's agenda next week!  To which I enthusiasticly said, you got it.  This is indeed a happy Good Friday.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 07:03:35 PM »
glad to hear. I always make sure these inspectors are happy, mail man is happy, trash man is happy, after all we rely on their service. Next time you see the inspector, offer him some fruit (even if store bought, he wouldn't know). it goes a long way, tell him its fruit of your labor.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »
Yay! Usually they are willing to work with you.

@Cookie Monster : I wish Cerritos has that program.  If it did, I would be in a better place :)  I remember you have about 1000+ cubic yard of mulch added to your property?  My current count is about 70 yards.

@seanny : I used to have those black edging around the trees but the trees outgrew it.

@sahai1 : You remind me of those guys from Primitive Technology on youtube.  Haha.  They can dig a huge hole with just a sharp stick!  Crazy.

@Behl : Your front yard looks great!  I bet you have a lust tropical forest hiding behind your wall.

The city enforcement officer came out today to see what I did to the yard.  I moved the dead leaves under the lychee tree to the longan tree and he seems ok with it since it is no longer visible from the street.  I also tidy up the yard by raking the mulch to spread it more evenly.  He told me to add more ground cover to the area under the mango trees and he will pull my public hearing from the city's agenda next week!  To which I enthusiasticly said, you got it.  This is indeed a happy Good Friday.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk