Author Topic: Thai Mangoes.... from Mexico?  (Read 6228 times)

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
Thai Mangoes.... from Mexico?
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:04 PM »
I stopped by a local Asian market and found some Thai Mangoes... so the sign says.  Some are quite green and others look more ripe?  When I got them home, I noticed a label that says they're from Mexico.  Anyone have any ideas what kind of mangoes these might be?

While I was at it... I picked up some Rambutan

and some Cherimoyas

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Thai Mangoes.... from Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 01:55:18 AM »
PLU #4961 is Code for the larger size 16,  Manila / Ataulfo variety  , they may be mislabeled thou. I believe the sizing # is by how many fit in a box, so the smaller the size number, means its a bigger mango.

http://www.mango.org/media/46284/mango%20plu%20codes.pdf
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:02:38 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
these are definitly not atulfos

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
Thank you Tropicdude and Lycheeluva for your replies.  I should have looked up the PLU #, but didn't think of it at the time.  I looked up the distributor website and didn't see this type of Mango available, but they did have Manila/Ataulfo.  I also bought some Muscat grapes from the same distributor and that wasn't on their website either, so I didn't give much to the stated varieties.

I think they're much more enlongated and not as plump as the Manila/Ataulfo.  I tried one of the green ones and it was very sweet and not juicy as it does seem to be sold for not so ripe eating.  It wasn't crunchy, but somewhat soft.  It had a very distinct flavor, but I haven't had many magoes other than store bought varieties here in So. California to know what it is.

I've purchased Thai Jujube at this market, which tates quite different than typical jujube and much larger.  I've also purchased Thai bananas here as well.  They seem to have quite the Thai influence.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Nice find eNorm ... which market did all these goodies come from?  Those rambutans look so good, we've been eating Vietnamese grown rambutans (smaller & more yellowish) that aren't as good compared to Guatemala rambutans.
Tim

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:25:16 AM »
Tim,

It's at a place called "New Farm Fresh Produce Market" in Rosemead, CA.  Yes... long name.  At least that's what it says on my receipt.  It's in the San Gabriel Valley, so a bit far for you.  The rambutan were definitely fresh and tasty.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
I got a box of atulfos from Asian market that were also not atulfos. I could tell as the seed turned out to be mono embryonic. atulfos that I got from Costco did get me 3 seedlines, so I can say that Costco ones were authentic atulfos.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
Last year they were selling nam doc Mai mangoes at whole foods in la Jolla and the fruit shop in San Diego .

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 02:33:09 AM »
Wow! Simon, if you happen to spot NDM's again, please alert the group. I wont mind driving 50 miles to taste the fruit.

dpotter2113

• Syracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
Although PLU 4961 is labelled as large Ataulfo, the ones we recently got in at work are Nam Doc Mai mangoes from Ecuador. They're a very popular Asian mango.

cyclonenat

• New Zealand, Invercargill/ 9810/ 9 a and b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
those mangoes look similar to the green/yellow mangoes from phillipines sold here