Author Topic: Mango Tree Update  (Read 7429 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mango Tree Update
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:45 AM »
Hello Friends,

Here are some current pictures of My Mango Trees. I have an Alphonso, Pickering, Coconut Cream, Lemon Zest, and Pina Colada.  They are in a various stages of Flowering and/or Fruiting.

Pina Colada Mango Tree - Is Flowering Heavily but no Fruit Yet

Coconut Cream Mango Tree - Had Flowered Profusely but I removed them all. I just pulled it out of the Greenhouse and it got a Little Sun Burned.

Lemon Zest - Flowering and a Small Mango

Alphonso Mango - Flowering and Lots of Little Mangos

Hopefully I will get to taste at least 1 Mango this Summer.

- Jacob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tree Update
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »
Congrats on all the healthy looking trees, it looks like you should get at least a few mangoes. What size containers are your mangoes growing in?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:48:32 AM »
Hey Nullzy,

If I get at least one, I will be happy.  All of them are in 15 gallon containers with the exception of the Alphonso which is in a 7 gallon container I think.

Jacob
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:51:27 AM by Jacob13 »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:30:43 AM »
Hey Nullzy,

If I get at least one, I will be happy.  All of them are in 15 gallon containers with the exception of the Alphonso which is in a 7 gallon container I think.

Jacob

Nice size containers! I am growing Ewais in a 12 gal superoots, Manilla mango in a 15 gal, and Julie in a 10gal I believe not sure on exact size. You should get some mangoes that hold, hopefully you will get to taste a few varieties this year. BTW, what potting soil mix are you using?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
VERY NICE Jacob, Great pictures. Looks like everything is growing and blooming nicely.

BTW, what type of potting mix are you using on your Mango trees? Ingredients and amounts (Recipe?) thanks!

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »
amazing pics Jacob- you have many of the top drawer mango trees. should be a flavorful summer for you.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Hey Jacob, your mango trees look awesome.  I can't believe how many small mangos your Alphonso is holding.  My Alphonso is about the same size but its partially shaded and its only got new vegetative growth.  My Glenn is only several feet away in full sunlight and it is flowering profusely.  Keep us updated 8)
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
Hello Friends,

Here are some current pictures of My Mango Trees. I have an Alphonso, Pickering, Coconut Cream, Lemon Zest, and Pina Colada.  They are in a various stages of Flowering and/or Fruiting.

Pina Colada Mango Tree - Is Flowering Heavily but no Fruit Yet

Coconut Cream Mango Tree - Had Flowered Profusely but I removed them all. I just pulled it out of the Greenhouse and it got a Little Sun Burned.

Lemon Zest - Flowering and a Small Mango

Alphonso Mango - Flowering and Lots of Little Mangos

Jacob your mangos look fabulous! Base on what I saw in Mimosa, your Alfonso has a great chance of holding some fruits. I tried the Alfonso in Mimosa and they were absolutely delicious. The fruits are on the small size about the size of a Carrie. From what I was told, Pinha Colada are also small fruits. I'll have to wait until Aug. for mangos I won't let any mangos fruit in containers anymore. Any of those going on the ground this year?

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 04:23:07 AM »
Hello Friends,

Thank you all so much for the compliments.  I am really excited about finally getting to taste some Home Grown Mangos.  I have only tasted store bought Manila and Tommy Atkins which were pretty bad.  I have had a pretty good store bought Kiett, but from what everyone is saying, even a good store bought Mango doesn't even come close to the taste of a Home grown Mango, so I am super excited.

Puglvr1 - Thank you so much for such nice compliments.  As for the Mix that I am using for my Mango trees, it is pretty much the same mix that I use for all my plants.  I get about 2-3 yards of a Potting soil mixture from a local nursery and have it stored at the house and use it for pretty much all of my stuff.  I also have a few composters in full swing which produce large amounts of super high quality compost.  I compost all of the yard clippings, mowed grass and leaves, and all kitchen scraps, coffee grinds, and egg shells.  The stuff that is produced is the most incredibly rich material.  I also have a mix that includes sand and Redwood shavings.  So when I pot my trees up, I usually use about 35% of the potting soil I get from the Nursery (which is actually a soil-less mixture, if that makes any sense), about 25% of the homemade compost, 25% of the sand and Redwood shaving mixture, and 15% of a Kellogs brand Soil Ammendment/soil conditioner which is also great for drainage. It's official Brand name is KELLOGG N'RICH® All Natural Soil Enriching Compost.  I love this stuff.  These percentages are really just rough estimations.  It's kind of like cooking.  After making something time after time, you kind of stop measuring and just start to eyeball the ingredients.  This potting mixture and all of its components have worked very well for me.  I really like the the KELLOG N'RICH

Lycheeluva - Thanks for the compliments.  Believe me, I have got my fingers crossed and hope to be eating some Mangos this summer.  By the way, Awesome job on the Lychees you are growing - Kick-Ass!!

Nullzy - Thanks Again!  Regarding the Potting Mixture, see the above description I gave to Puglvr1

Simon - I've got to tell you, my "Alphonso" mango tree has got to be one of my most prolific of all my trees, not just of my Mango trees.  That sucker loves to grow.  I would guess that it is currently holding approximately 30+ Mangos, and more are still being produced as there are still flowers on the tree.  I sure hope I LOVE "Alphonso" mangos :P

Thanks Again Everyone!

- Jacob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »
Yes, Pina Colada is a relatively small sized mango.  It i similar in size to PPK, Gary or for those on the west coast, a store bought champagne mango.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
Nice collection! Hopefully, you'll be able to eat your first lemon zest mango this season.  :)
Alexi

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 03:52:55 AM »
Thanks......that's what I am hoping for.

- Jacob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
Joseph, you're growing all these mangos in Santa Barbara? How far from the coast are you? Do you overwinter your plants indoors or out?
Oscar
Oscar

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
Hey Oscar,

I won't hold it against you but, I am Jacob, not Joseph  ;D.. As for me, I am about 1 mile from the Beach.  Most of my stuff stays outside year round, and for about 2-3 months (December, January, February) I bring them into my 2 Greenhouses.  Maybe 5-6 days that it gets super super cold, I heat the greenhouses.  I can take almost everything out by March.

- Jacob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk