Author Topic: Which white sapote?  (Read 902 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Which white sapote?
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
Keep reading how much everyone love the white sapote, so I think I'll try one. Which one should I get?  Sandy soil can give it mostly sun, soil is poor, basically beach sand, slightly alkaline. Well drained, zone 10b.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:13:46 PM by Coach62 »
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Which white sapote?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »
I live close to you around LaBelle, I have one called Supersweet and one called Sue Bell.
I've heard both will fruit well in Florida and I heard good things about Redlands, Both trees struggled in
the full sun and turned yellow in the summer Florida sun when they were small, I put a shade cloth over
them and they turned  green. Both have grown well and are around 8'. I am hoping for fruit this year?
Supersweet origins are Bonita Springs and should do well here. If you think the roots will stay wet plant
on a large mound, which I would say for any tree? Check with fruitscapes for Supersweet.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Which white sapote?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:18:44 PM »
Thank you, I just modified my question.  Not sure why I said the soil stays wet, I just meant, as you already know, that it rains every day in the summer.  The area is well drained, the only time I've ever had standing water was after Irma.  The water table does get up to about 5-6' from the surface towards the end of the rainy season. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce