Author Topic: Durian: Exact Pulp to Waste Ratio Calculated  (Read 11811 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Durian: Exact Pulp to Waste Ratio Calculated
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
My searching efforts for frozen durian sales revealed that in the past three years Malaysia has become a big player in this field, with just about all discussion of sales targeting China.  Apparently, the Chinese prefer the cultivars Musang King and D-24 that Malaysia has to offer.   I found one source that said in 1997, US was the biggest importer of frozen durian worldwide at 60% of the market.  However, it looks like China may be passing us by.  Here's one link: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Community/2014/12/29/Rising-durian-demand-in-China/

"The Hermes of Fruits"  I like it.

I think this is correct. Yes Lindsey stats do specify fresh and frozen durian separately. If you look at stats from Thailand then you see USA was largest buyer of frozen durian for very long time, buying about 2/3 of their frozen durian. Over the last couple of year Malaysia has jumped into frozen durian market, selling frozen boutique varieties to China, and i think China has now surpassed USA as biggest buyer of frozen durian. But haven't been able to find exact numbers.
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »
Not first fruiting, but first big fruiting.  I don't get the impression that they're any less abundant in edible flesh than Ed Johnston's trees, which have been big producers for many years. But there's no evidence to support my hunch, unless Ed has done this test himself.  I've been eating  Ed's durians for several years now, and will ask him about this.

Talked with Ed today.  He has never done the percentage test with any of his three trees, D-123, Chanee and D-132, so I encouraged him to do it next years.  He did say that these cultivars came to him in 1992 from Alan Carle of Australia, and that my trees are clones of his.  He also said that a couple of folks who have been buying his D-123 fruit this year say it's the best durian they've ever had, and they've sampled extensively from SE Asian offerings.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 01:34:29 AM »
Not first fruiting, but first big fruiting.  I don't get the impression that they're any less abundant in edible flesh than Ed Johnston's trees, which have been big producers for many years. But there's no evidence to support my hunch, unless Ed has done this test himself.  I've been eating  Ed's durians for several years now, and will ask him about this.

Talked with Ed today.  He has never done the percentage test with any of his three trees, D-123, Chanee and D-132, so I encouraged him to do it next years.  He did say that these cultivars came to him in 1992 from Alan Carle of Australia, and that my trees are clones of his.  He also said that a couple of folks who have been buying his D-123 fruit this year say it's the best durian they've ever had, and they've sampled extensively from SE Asian offerings.

D123 is considered to be in Chanee subgroup of durians. I don't think hardly anyone in Asia would agree that it's the best durian they've had. The very good thing about D123 is that it can fruit faster than other cultivars.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 02:40:31 AM »
He also said that a couple of folks who have been buying his D-123 fruit this year say it's the best durian they've ever had, and they've sampled extensively from SE Asian offerings.

Laughable.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 04:54:18 AM »
Chanee gets a  it of flak but it is ok I suppose and I reckon some of the frozen thai  monthong is really chanee.D 24 is the k e I just don't get why it is popular.
The original thai selections imported by the Agricultural Department were wrongly identified until thai experts put correct  names on the trees around 1990.Lim put out identification guides based on characters like foliage.Some chanee turned out to be luang and gumpun which he emerged here as high quality favorites. There is every chance Carle got his trees from the misidentified lots and really had something else.
Oh yeah a chum with a few trees tells me his red prawns are loaded with small fruit right now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 05:39:04 AM »
Chanee gets a  it of flak but it is ok I suppose and I reckon some of the frozen thai  monthong is really chanee.D 24 is the k e I just don't get why it is popular.
The original thai selections imported by the Agricultural Department were wrongly identified until thai experts put correct  names on the trees around 1990.Lim put out identification guides based on characters like foliage.Some chanee turned out to be luang and gumpun which he emerged here as high quality favorites. There is every chance Carle got his trees from the misidentified lots and really had something else.
Oh yeah a chum with a few trees tells me his red prawns are loaded with small fruit right now.
Chanee is one of the main 4 cultivars grown in Thailand for good reason. It is good tasting and has very good yield. My first fruiting on a Chanee here produced over 50 fruits on just one tree, and most of them very big sized. That said, it's a bit of a stretch to call it the best tasting durian of all of SE Asia.
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »

You'll be sure to give us a taste evaluation at some time, right? :)

BigIslandGrower

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
That said, it's a bit of a stretch to call it the best tasting durian of all of SE Asia.

The best they've had-who knows what their story is.  Ed doesn't even eat durians, so don't think his ego is overly involved. :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »

You'll be sure to give us a taste evaluation at some time, right? :)
Had Red Prawn durians long ago at Bao Sheng farm in Penang, Malaysia. They're small, but very tasty. Mike has pointed to data that shows they are also more cold tolerant than other cultivars.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk