Author Topic: Non tropical fruit tree question  (Read 3099 times)

REB1136

• View Profile
Non tropical fruit tree question
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:13 AM »
I know these are not tropical trees but I was wondering if anyone is growing the following peach and nectarine tree's? I just wanted to get some opinion's on how well they taste and any other general information. Thanks Ray

Peaches
Florida Prince
Tropic Beauty
Tropic Snow

Nectarines
SunBest
SunRaycer

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Non tropical fruit tree question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »
My Florida Prince is very small, but I was really pleased with the flavor of the fruit.  :)

I have one of the Tropics, and am hoping to taste it soon.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
I have tasted them all over the years.  They are all quite good....despite low chill requirements.  Are they the best peaches and nectarines you will ever taste, probably not, but for growing in warmer conditions they are definitely worthwhile and very rewarding...at least in the first few years.  They all have declined and eventually ceased to produce for me over a 3-5 year period.  Not sure why that is, but it has been that way in my yard. Flooding/standing water may be my issue.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

REB1136

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:27:39 AM »
Thanks for the advice

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »
I have a small Tropic Beauty and a 2.5" caliper unknown Florida peach.  Both in-ground.  The TB had 6 fruit and the taste is very good.   The big unknown had 4 dozen and the fruit are good but different from TB.  Have leaves turning pale now and have to either adjust the lawn station times or erect something to block the spray - peaches don't like too much water.

As far as decline and early croak ---- and I hate to say this about nurserymen in general - Florida peaches that die off early in south Fla  have usually not been grafted onto Flordaguard rootstock.   Those guys that know this, and sell them anyway, are in the minority -- I think -- I hope.   So don't buy unless the seller knows about Flordaguard rtstk and can assure you he has verified this.

I checked with a grower in Ft Pierce that runs 300 acres of peaches.  He verified that peach trees are out there for sale to the gen'l public that are not grafted on Flordaguard.
Dan

REB1136

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
I have one other question maybe you guys can answer for me. My dad loves nectarines but it seems like every nectarine tree he buys and plants has fruit that is fuzzy like peaches. I thought at first he must have got somes trees that were mislabeled. He has bought about 8 or 10 trees from different places and everyone of them have come out fuzzy. Surely his luck isn't that bad, or would the nectarines be planted around peaches have something to do with this?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk