Author Topic: Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Online  (Read 149291 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Online
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »
Someone needs to file for a USDA risk assessment on durian before they'll be allowed in the US from Puerto Rico. May be a few years yet :(

Have you looked it up? Are you sure it hasn't been done already? If it hasn't then you're right it would take several years.
Oscar

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
  • Me encantan las frutas dulces
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 11:45:48 PM »
Lol looks like we had the same idea about the same time!
 Here is a yojtube chan el reviewing
buyadurian.com                         a durian
earthsource.us                          mamey sapote
goodlandorganics.com            dragon fruit and caviar limes
southcoastorganics.com         cherimoyas and white sapote
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:20:19 AM by DurianisaDrug »

Longan4somefruit

• United States, New York State, Plant Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »
If you guys haven't checked out Local Harvest they have a wide variety of fruit. I bought Dragonfruit from there. If I'm correct they sell Cherimoyas as well.

Michiganian

• USA, Michigan, Grand Rapids - USDA Zone 5B
    • View Profile
    • My iStock Portfolio (Photos & Illustrations)
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »
Treated myself to an early Christmas present. I ordered 8lbs of fresh Longan last night from these folks:

http://www.hulabrothers.com/store/cart.cgi?action=link&product=3, who are a part of these folks: http://plantithawaii.com.

I checked out with PayPal and received an immediate "Thank You" email confirmation. My order is supposed to be processed and mailed out next Monday, and I should be enjoying super fresh clusters of my all time favorite fruit by Wednesday. ^_^ They grow both Biew Kiew and Sri Chompoo, but I put in a request for Biew Kiew (as I think this was most likely the variety I fell in love with over in Thailand). I will post some photos when they come in!
~ Cassandra

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »
I am happy to report that my order from the Hula Brothers arrived today, as scheduled!

There was no sort of padding in the box, but that doesn't seemed to have caused any issues with the fruit what so ever.

There was a certificate included that disclosed their irradiation treatment.
(For those curious, some of the seeds are sprouting anyway!)

And then there was some lovely brochures and nutritional information cards included.

Side 1:

Side 2:

These are, without a doubt, the most fresh, juiciest, biggest and best longan (Biew Kiew) that I have eaten since I was in Thailand!

I will totally be buying from these guys again in the future!

Edited to add: Photo of size comparison

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:35:27 PM by Michiganian »
~ Cassandra

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »
I am happy to report that my order from the Hula Brothers arrived today, as scheduled!

There was no sort of padding in the box, but that doesn't seemed to have caused any issues with the fruit what so ever.

There was a certificate included that disclosed their irradiation treatment.
(For those curious, some of the seeds are sprouting anyway!)

And then there was some lovely brochures and nutritional information cards included.

Side 1:

Side 2:

These are, without a doubt, the most fresh, juiciest, biggest and best longan (Biew Kiew) that I have eaten since I was in Thailand!

I will totally be buying from these guys again in the future!

Edited to add: Photo of size comparison

Nice Cass,

I might be buying from them soon too.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
Notice the prominent disclaimer on the box stating clearly the prohibition of shipment to Florida.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
Notice the prominent disclaimer on the box stating clearly the prohibition of shipment to Florida.
Harry, that's because you guys can grow them as well, so no sale for you guys ;) I'll gladly get some from you next summer, I couldn't get any from Alex(squam) this past season, he said the crop this year was scarce, so not worth it for sale. Though, I did get some of his lychee. They were ok, I would love to get some of your fresh longans, next year, if you sell them to forum members?

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 07:38:36 AM »

I have yet to find any Florida growers willing to ship to me up here in Michigan. Maybe it's just one of those fruits that can't enter or exit your state? I dunno. I would have loved to buy some from Florida, but then, I wouldn't have found these guys.
~ Cassandra

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I have yet to find any Florida growers willing to ship to me up here in Michigan. Maybe it's just one of those fruits that can't enter or exit your state? I dunno. I would have loved to buy some from Florida, but then, I wouldn't have found these guys.

I believe lycheesonline.com (http://www.lycheesonline.com/productlist.cfm?CategoryID=23|Other%20Fresh%20Tropical%20Fruit) sells and ships longan each year.  When I have extra, I have sent some around here and there.  We have not had over abundant crops of the past couple of years and I am not a commercial seller/shipper.  When I can get the time and the inclination to merge, you might try me for some this coming season.  No promises, but worth the shot.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 09:05:53 AM »
Gladly. :) I'd like to try all of the different varities, when I get a chance.

I'm also on the hunt for someone that ships jackfruit (preferably a deeper orange with a stronger, sweeter flavor). So if you know anybody who has an overabundance of those at some point during the year and is willing to ship, please let me know!

~ Cassandra

thewildpapaya

• Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
    • The Wild Papaya Nursery and Garden Center
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »
Please check out the wild papaya at www.thewildpapaya.com.  We have a great selection of tropical fruits and i will be adding more varieties this week.

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
The Hula Brothers are also a good source for fresh rambutan. Just got my first box of them today.

~ Cassandra

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
I just ordered a box of Kent mangoes from Tropical Fruit Company on amazon.com as a Christmas gift for my mom. They were on special for only $23.99 for 7 lb. I didn't know you could order fresh fruit on amazon! I'll let you know how my mom likes them! She is a big mango fan.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
I just ordered a box of Kent mangoes from Tropical Fruit Company on amazon.com as a Christmas gift for my mom. They were on special for only $23.99 for 7 lb. I didn't know you could order fresh fruit on amazon! I'll let you know how my mom likes them! She is a big mango fan.

Kent's in December are more than likely imported (from Central or South America) and therefore probably went through a hot water treatment and are probably not going to be all that good. Let us know how it turns out.

Longan4somefruit

• United States, New York State, Plant Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get Mangosteen online?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »

Try Melissa's. They're a wholesale fruit distributor. Not sure if they will sell retail.
Oscar

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »

Try Melissa's. They're a wholesale fruit distributor. Not sure if they will sell retail.
They do on Amazon, but it's quite pricey for a little only(I think 6 or 9 for $70?). Though they don't have any for sale now, but another seller is for the same price. I don't buy fruits online, unless I know it has been grown locally/domestically and not sent from around the world. I would rather go straight to the source and enjoy all I can eat when it's in season for a fraction of these online wholesale company' prices. But, if you want to try then go ahead and give it a shot, it is good, just not like fresh tree ripen or fresh from the source  :)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
Harry, that's because you guys can grow them as well, so no sale for you guys ;) I'll gladly get some from you next summer, I couldn't get any from Alex(squam) this past season, he said the crop this year was scarce, so not worth it for sale. Though, I did get some of his lychee. They were ok, I would love to get some of your fresh longans, next year, if you sell them to forum members?

I have a late crop coming this year in late October/November.  I've never shipped and have a grower manage the grove from A to Z and he sells to a Chinese wholesaler.  Next year I may set aside a few trees to see if I can establish an online presence as well as by appointment only.  I'm not sure how much effort it takes to generate enough orders to make an online store feasible.  Any thoughts from someone how has experience in this is appreciated.

I had some come out in July/August and the were outstanding.  I gave some to friends who never tried them (and didn't even know what they were) and they loved them and want more.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »

I have a late crop coming this year in late October/November.  I've never shipped and have a grower manage the grove from A to Z and he sells to a Chinese wholesaler.  Next year I may set aside a few trees to see if I can establish an online presence as well as by appointment only.  I'm not sure how much effort it takes to generate enough orders to make an online store feasible.  Any thoughts from someone how has experience in this is appreciated.

I had some come out in July/August and the were outstanding.  I gave some to friends who never tried them (and didn't even know what they were) and they loved them and want more.
I don't know anything about online stores, but if you do both on site/local sales and online sales(shipping), then advertise every where: CL other sites/forums, etc (here included), i'm sure you will get some business coming to your future business. Price should be competitive with other sellers around you(I think fresh longans range from $1-$5 /lbs retail? and whole sale may be a bit less, depending on crop availability that year and how much they buy(wholesale). But, just don't charge anything like how lycheeonline prices theirs, $14-$20/lb  ???.

I guess that works for some, but not all people/consumers will agree to that price range.

Just my .02  :)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »

[/quote]I don't know anything about online stores, but if you do both on site/local sales and online sales(shipping), then advertise every where: CL other sites/forums, etc (here included), i'm sure you will get some business coming to your future business. Price should be competitive with other sellers around you(I think fresh longans range from $1-$5 /lbs retail? and whole sale may be a bit less, depending on crop availability that year and how much they buy(wholesale). But, just don't charge anything like how lycheeonline prices theirs, $14-$20/lb  ???.

I guess that works for some, but not all people/consumers will agree to that price range.

[/quote]

A neighbor of mine had and early crop (late June) and was getting mid $60's for 20lb boxes wholesale.  Now in peak season, they are going for $20 for a 20lb box wholesale if they take them at all.  I expect the later October/November crop will get a good price.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:32 PM »

I don't know anything about online stores, but if you do both on site/local sales and online sales(shipping), then advertise every where: CL other sites/forums, etc (here included), i'm sure you will get some business coming to your future business. Price should be competitive with other sellers around you(I think fresh longans range from $1-$5 /lbs retail? and whole sale may be a bit less, depending on crop availability that year and how much they buy(wholesale). But, just don't charge anything like how lycheeonline prices theirs, $14-$20/lb  ???.

[/quote]

A neighbor of mine had and early crop (late June) and was getting mid $60's for 20lb boxes wholesale.  Now in peak season, they are going for $20 for a 20lb box wholesale if they take them at all.  I expect the later October/November crop will get a good price.
[/quote]Ya, like everything else, when it's an early crop,you can charge a higher price, but in peak season, it will go down drastically.

Ya, the late season should get a good price than the peak season, but doubt it will be as high is the early crop season.

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2014, 07:40:01 AM »
Sadly, here in Brazil we don´t have options to build these fruits online. Only "normal" fruits (orange, pear, apple...) are available.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:17 PM »
Sadly, here in Brazil we don´t have options to build these fruits online. Only "normal" fruits (or ;)ange, pear, apple...) are available.
But you guys have so much more wonderful tropical fruits locally, so you're not missing too much  ;)

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2014, 09:01:46 AM »
Sadly, here in Brazil we don´t have options to build these fruits online. Only "normal" fruits (or ;)ange, pear, apple...) are available.
But you guys have so much more wonderful tropical fruits locally, so you're not missing too much  ;)

Sure we have, but unhappyness they aren´t comercialized.
Of the 20 most consumed fruits here in Brazil, only three are native to our country: pineapple, guava and passion fruit. Even jabuticaba gets off this list, although it is comercialized normally.
All the rest of our fruits is treated as exotic and comercialized at high prices, when found... In fact, is relatively easy to find lichia, rambutan, mangosten and others, but grumixamas, pitangatubas, saputás and all the others... There´s no signal.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:04:29 AM by Cassio »